Android tablet buying advice please......

jimmygreaves

Quick update. She ended up getting the galaxy tab 2, and ive spent the day playing with it. To be fair its a fantastic bit of kit.

One quick question. The guy said she should download anything she wanted before she goes on holiday as it will cost a bomb to download abroad. Just wondered how that works, she has the wifi version, so if her hotel has wifi can she not sign into, browse and download from there?

Thanks

Colin

Quick update. She ended up getting the galaxy tab 2, and ive spent the day playing with it. To be fair its a fantastic bit of kit.

One quick question. The guy said she should download anything she wanted before she goes on holiday as it will cost a bomb to download abroad. Just wondered how that works, she has the wifi version, so if her hotel has wifi can she not sign into, browse and download from there?

Thanks

Colin

Yes.

Edit - I'd advise taking the SIM card out when she's abroad, or if you're feeling technical enough you should be able to disable it in the settings.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Yeah as DDID says, as long as she does it via wifi she'll be fine.

There should be a setting to disable "mobile data" (on my galaxy S3 you just pull down the notification bar and it's in there so a good chance it'll be in the same place on a galaxy tab) and as long as that's disabled she won't be able to download anything by accident via mobile internet as opposed to wifi.

If she has the wifi only version (as in no sim card) then she won't have a problem.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Right, the time has come, i'm going for the N7. I waited to see if they would be announcing a new model in the Google show / conference thingy, but it hasnt happened, so i'll go with the current model. Want to have it for some trips I have coming up, and my laptop is close to extinction so the tablet can semi-replace that.

Due to my commuting, I will need to get the 3G version, and will be taking Limpid's advice and going for the Unlimited Giff Gaff plan. (I cant find any info on whether this is a contracted sim, or is it done on a month-by-month basis and im able to cancel it whenever?!)

Before I take the plunge, am I right in assuming this is still the pound for pound best bit of Tablet kit out there for general internet perusing, games, films, books etc? The opinion of VT'ers is gospel! Cheers!

• Like 1

Right, the time has come, i'm going for the N7. I waited to see if they would be announcing a new model in the Google show / conference thingy, but it hasnt happened, so i'll go with the current model. Want to have it for some trips I have coming up, and my laptop is close to extinction so the tablet can semi-replace that.

Due to my commuting, I will need to get the 3G version, and will be taking Limpid's advice and going for the Unlimited Giff Gaff plan. (I cant find any info on whether this is a contracted sim, or is it done on a month-by-month basis and im able to cancel it whenever?!)

Before I take the plunge, am I right in assuming this is still the pound for pound best bit of Tablet kit out there for general internet perusing, games, films, books etc? The opinion of VT'ers is gospel! Cheers!

Giff Gaff is PAYG on the Internet. You just pay for whatever you use up front, but you can also buy a goody bag for £12 which gives you the unlimited internet.

Yes the N7 is still the best all-round tablet for the price. But I'd look into buying one 2nd hand off eBay as they wear extremely well and I've sold 2 16GB versions for £129.99 on there which were indistinguishable from new.

You may find a data only sim like samba mobile better for your tablet. You buy data and it never expires. £5 for 500mb is good value imo.

So check them out. You also get data for watching ads. I've one of those sims in my 3G galaxy tab 7.7

• Like 1

You may find a data only sim like samba mobile better for your tablet. You buy data and it never expires. £5 for 500mb is good value imo.

So check them out. You also get data for watching ads. I've one of those sims in my 3G galaxy tab 7.7

Ive never heard of Samba before. But a bit of research makes it seems like a good shout! Cheers for the heads up CVByrne. Just want to get my hands on the nexus now. Bring it on!

• 4 months later...

Fiancee has just told me she wants a Tablet for Christmas so i have perused this thread and the Nexus 7 seems to be the one to go for. She will be using the tablet mainly for the internet but will also i suppose want to view movies but no gaming. Since i'm already with O2 i had a look on their website for the Nexus 7 and they are charging £319.99 with free sim, including camera and the tablet is 4G ready.

Are all Nexus 7s 4G ready and what is the difference between the Nexus 7 priced at £139 and O2s at £319.99?

Well the 4G Nexus 7 is so you can use a 4G sim on a contract with it. Does she need to have more than a WiFi nexus 7? 

The Wifi Nexus 7 is idential and costs £199 from Google Play.

The £139 Nexus 7 is last years model and should really be avoided imo. 

It would also be worth waiting until New Apple iPad Mini comes out next month and having a look at that too.

Best advice is take her into a store in November and having her look at both Nexus 7 & iPad Mini. Does she have an iPhone or an Android phone btw?

Thanks very much CVByrne for your advice again.

I don't think she will want to go on any contract so WiFi would be enough. She uses an old Nokia C3 mainly due to the ease of use and doesn't like touch screen phones no matter how hard i try to convince her otherwise.

Have you any idea what the new Apple iPad Mini is going to come in at price wise?

Have you any idea what the new Apple iPad Mini is going to come in at price wise?

Compared to a Nexus 7, really **** high.

Actually, I suspect it'll be the same as the current mini, with a slight inflationary increase, so maybe £285 or so for the 16gb?

Actually, I suspect it'll be the same as the current mini, with a slight inflationary increase, so maybe £285 or so for the 16gb?

But won't it also blow it completely out of the water spec wise? And if you currently use an like using an iPhone, wouldn't that make it the smarter investment?

£285 is not high really, not for portable tech. 

But won't it also blow it completely out of the water spec wise? And if you currently use an like using an iPhone, wouldn't that make it the smarter investment?

Spec wise I suspect they'll be similar. Experience wise too. If you're used to the iOS ecosystem though, it'll be somewhat easier.

Is £285 high for portable tech? Well, if you can get something with pretty much the same functionality for £85 less, then you have to take it into consideration. I understand why someone would be prepared to pay nearly 50% more to stick to what they know though.

Oh,BTW DDID, I got a spam DM from you on twitter the other day!

Spec wise I suspect they'll be similar. Experience wise too. If you're used to the iOS ecosystem though, it'll be somewhat easier.

Is £285 high for portable tech? Well, if you can get something with pretty much the same functionality for £85 less, then you have to take it into consideration. I understand why someone would be prepared to pay nearly 50% more to stick to what they know though.

Oh,BTW DDID, I got a spam DM from you on twitter the other day!

It's not just a case of sticking to what you know. You have to assume the screen will remain that extra inch bigger too, then there's the general build quality (and beauty) of the Apple products in comparison to their android based cousins. The iPad mini feels like a device, the Nexus feels like a toy. I have the same issue with almost every android phone, I want premium. I get plastic.

Sorry about that, I hope you're aware it wasn't actually from me! Should be sorted now. 

I was talking to a mate last night. His boss was moaning that his ipad couldn't open some email attachment. My mate has his grandson's £80 bright green android tablet in the car. It opened the attachment.

I was talking to a mate last night. His boss was moaning that his ipad couldn't open some email attachment. My mate has his grandson's £80 bright green android tablet in the car. It opened the attachment.

Perhaps he should update his iPad? I've yet to find an attachment my iPhone can't open so I'm intrigued to find out what file type it was. 

Â