Android tablet buying advice please......

jimmygreaves

Another plug for the Nexus. My mom's had hers for a couple of months now and she loves it.

Made even more impressive by how little she knows how to do on it! I'm gradually teaching her more and more.

Had a go on it myself quite a few times and it's a lovely piece of kit.

(None of this sways my view that it's a waste of money if you've got a good smartphone)

Over on HUKD the guys and girls getting pretty excited about this budget 7" tablet for a shade over £30. Great for messing about with or even for kids.

Adopts ARM Cortex-A8 processor and Allwinner A13 CPU

Supports Android 4.0.4 operating system

Supports 1080P video playback

Supports intelligent G-sensor and 3D games

Built-in 0.3mega pixel camera for you chat online or capture image conveniently

You can surf internet freely with the Wi-Fi function at anytime and anywhere

Processor Type/CPU Type Cortex A8

RAM Memory 512MB

Hard Drive Capacity 4GB

Extend Card Supports an external TF card up to 32G (not included)

Camera 0.3mega pixels front camera, 1.3mega pixels rear camera

G-Sensor Yes

Audio Built in a speaker

Software Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Android market, Skype, Google Mail, Google maps, Quick Office

Language English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Battery Type 2000mAh battery

Battery/Run Time Music: Up to 5hours, Video: Up to 3hours

USB Port 1 x OTG port

Audio Port 1 x 3.5mm Headphone jack

Video Port 1 x USB port

Card Slot 1 x TF card slot

DC Input 1 x DC 5V

3G Supports external 3G

Wireless Connection Wi-Fi

Wireless Protocol 802.11 b/g/n

Supported Formats

Video MP4/AVC/WMV/RM/RMVB/MOV/MPEG

Audio MP3/WMA/AMR/FLAC

Picture JPEG/PNG/GIF

Ebook PDF/TXT/PDB/WORD/EXCEL/PPT

Product Details (without package and accessories)

Dimensions 18 x 12 x 0.4 cm

Weight 286 g

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

First thing I noticed in the comments of that link:

I got one of these under the brand name Time2. It is a piece of pants. Boots 1 out of 5 times, battery life is about 2hr, Skype is choppy, Facebook is choppy, the net is almost unusable. it won't run chrome, my 2 friends sent theirs back with bad wifi hardware. Oh and time2 went into liquidation about a week after so expect much the same. It's demoted to watching movies only now (as long as they're only 120min!). If that's all you want it for, go ahead. If you're expecting to do a lot, save up and get something else. Good price for a media player with built in screen.

I'm still of the opinion that I am fine paying good money for something as long as it is good. That seems like something I would play with for a week then put in a drawer and never use again.

Bought a Ainol Elf 2, had great reviews and wasnt that bad but my daughter managed to break the screen playing a game because she pushed too hard with her finger. She is 7.

Still not repaired it and you can get the screens for £20.00 on ebay.

Sometimes thing can be too cheap to be any good.

You guys are probably right. Be interesting to see what the reviews are like once some of those guys get them delivered. I know its not going to be a patch on an iPad or Nexus7 but my boy, who is only 2.5 is nagging me already to play games on my mobile. I won't plump for this but keeping my eye out for something cheap that wil hopefully keep him happy for a couple of months...

Does anyone know if/when the 16gb version of the nexus 7 is likely to become available again? It's been out of stock everywhere for weeks now

It's in stock on the google play store. In fact, everything is apart from the Nexus 4

• 2 weeks later...

Received a Cube U30GT yesterday , heard some decent reviews so thought what the hey its for my Daughters 6th birthday had a quick 20 min play on it last night and i have to say considering is a Chinese important its a beast really pleased with it only draw back i've found is the fact Sky go doesn't work on it other than that i'm really impressed , its a 10.1 sized screen with Android 4.1 on it and 1.6 ghz dual core processor all for as little as £140 quid .

I've been eyeing a Nexus 7 for a while, but today I encountered the blackberry playbook, a tablet I hadn't even considered. I looked at the price on Amazon and found that I could get the 64gb version for just over £100, that's twice the storage of the Nexus for half the price.

Given that I'll be using the tablet for browsing the net, watching videos, reading books and studying - is the Nexus worth the extra cash?

Does anyone have experience of both?

I know the playbook was slated initially but it seems that a lot of the early OS problems have been smoothed out in subsequent updates, and the playbook will be getting the BB10 update when that lands.

Opinions?

It's probably worth a punt at that price.  I'd still get the Nexus because I am invested in Android, but if that investment isnt there then **** it. 

I don't know anyone who owns one, but I know a few who bought one. All returned.

It's lo-res and underpowered in a straight comparison. I doubt it'll ever run bb10 well, assuming bb10 is any good.

I used my friends today and I have to say I was really impressed, not quite as snappy as an iPad/nexus but still very quick, smooth and stood up to the patented Regular_John tech test (open as many programs as possible and see how long it takes to crash). It certainly didn't seem £100 worse than a nexus, although the lack of proprietary apps might become a problem (currently no Skype for instance, although it is meant to be on BB10).

Whether or not the playbook will run BB10 well is a guess at this point, I can't see why not though as it's got decent hardware (dual core rather than the nexus' quad core).

Anyone have any long term user experience?

Just looked at the tech specs on wikipedia. At a glance, the playbook has no NFC, no accelerometer, no proximity sensor and no magnetometer. The playbook is dual core 1GHz against the Nexus7 quad core 1.3GHz. Playbook is 1024x600 against 1280x800. Playbook has a single GPU against 12 GPUs on the Nexus 7.

The playbook has a back facing camera. The Nexus 7 has Corning Fit glass.

The Nexus 7 is £159 (play.google.com). The playbook is hugely discounted at £110 (at amazon)  which suggests imminent end of life. It's £50 quid difference, not £100.

Opening lots of things on a modern mobile OS is only testing how big the the apps are and how quickly the storage can supply data. No modern mobile OS should ever crash from opening too many apps.

HTH

Just looked at the tech specs on wikipedia. At a glance, the playbook has no NFC, no accelerometer, no proximity sensor and no magnetometer. The playbook is dual core 1GHz against the Nexus7 quad core 1.3GHz. Playbook is 1024x600 against 1280x800. Playbook has a single GPU against 12 GPUs on the Nexus 7.

The playbook has a back facing camera. The Nexus 7 has Corning Fit glass.

The Nexus 7 is £159 (play.google.com). The playbook is hugely discounted at £110 (at amazon)  which suggests imminent end of life. It's £50 quid difference, not £100.

Opening lots of things on a modern mobile OS is only testing how big the the apps are and how quickly the storage can supply data. No modern mobile OS should ever crash from opening too many apps.

HTH

NFC - The playbook has bluetooth, which more than suits my needs.

Accelerometer - It detects position and changes alignment accordingly, so it must have one, even on a basic level

Magnetometer - I have no need for a £100, bluetooth enabled compass

Hardware isn't so much of an issue because I'm not going to be buying it for gaming, my requirements are fairly resource-light (films, internet browsing, watching our shower of shite lose every week, studying etc.). 

The price drop was because it wasn't selling well as it was originally sold and marketed as an iPad rival, which was stupid as it has neither the hardware nor the range of apps to compete. The current price reflects what I feel is the playbooks true place in the tablet world - a really solid, budget tablet. As for the nexus, the £159 is for the 16 gig model, whereas the playbook is 64 gig for £100.

Having used one for a while today, I am impressed. What I'm looking for is some advice on long term use and how it actually is to live with, so I'm hoping that someone with some user experience is reading this.

NFC - The playbook has bluetooth, which more than suits my needs.

Accelerometer - It detects position and changes alignment accordingly, so it must have one, even on a basic level

Magnetometer - I have no need for a £100, bluetooth enabled compass

Hardware isn't so much of an issue because I'm not going to be buying it for gaming, my requirements are fairly resource-light (films, internet browsing, watching our shower of shite lose every week, studying etc.). 

The price drop was because it wasn't selling well as it was originally sold and marketed as an iPad rival, which was stupid as it has neither the hardware nor the range of apps to compete. The current price reflects what I feel is the playbooks true place in the tablet world - a really solid, budget tablet. As for the nexus, the £159 is for the 16 gig model, whereas the playbook is 64 gig for £100.

Having used one for a while today, I am impressed. What I'm looking for is some advice on long term use and how it actually is to live with, so I'm hoping that someone with some user experience is reading this.

Fair points. I have the 8GB Nexus 7 and it's storage is more than adequate for my needs. I have to disagree that the much lower resolution is good for watching films - I don't even know what the BB store is like for films. Or whether there are netflix, etc apps.

The price on Amazon for the playbook is £110, not £100.

BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 64 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth This reflects that it's a product which after two years is approaching end of life, like most high end mobile devices.

Even if they are 'end of lifing' it, which makes sense as BB10 will invariably come with its own tablet at some point this year, I'm not too bothered as it will continue to be a functional piece of kit for many years to come (given my fairly basic requirements), and assuming it can run BB10 well will be getting all of the relevant updates etc. anyway. Decision made.

Â