Android tablet buying advice please......

jimmygreaves

I'm tethering from my phone to my Nexus now, it works well. I have limited Internet though so I don't do it often but I'll be on giff gaff soon which eliminates the need for another sim card.

You can't tether on the unlimited giffgaff tariffs.

Is it actually blocked or just not allowed?

It's all explained here but basically you'll find that your mobile data keeps dropping out if you tether.

I'm tethering from my phone to my Nexus now, it works well. I have limited Internet though so I don't do it often but I'll be on giff gaff soon which eliminates the need for another sim card.

You can't tether on the unlimited giffgaff tariffs.

Is it actually blocked or just not allowed?

It's all explained here but basically you'll find that your mobile data keeps dropping out if you tether.

That's a damn shame! Thanks for the heads up though. 

1GB a month for £10 is still pretty generous. I don't do tether all that often, so I don't see that being a problem for me. 

Me too. I tether occasionally and I've not gone over a gig yet in a month.

IN my experience the only thing to put you in danger of going over a gig a month is streaming videos.

For your normal web browsing you won't have a problem.
But if you decide to watch a load of youtube or something like skygo then you'll drink that data limit in no time.

I'm almost certainly going to buy a Nexus 7, though given it's as a toy rather than a serious purchase, I won't be taking it to work for example, perhaps I'll wait until the summer and catch the new model.

I'm wondering what kind of price point I can expect by then? Is there a big bump in their new releases, historically speaking?  

We don't even know for sure who'll be making it. No-one predicted the price point for the N4. Anyz speculation is really just guessing. The current N7 at £159 is still a bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking at the galaxy tab (want camera and video facility hence not looking at nexus) ive saw it for £240. Can anyone advice if thats a fair price? Or indeed recommend another tab.

Thanks.

Been looking at the galaxy tab (want camera and video facility hence not looking at nexus) ive saw it for £240. Can anyone advice if thats a fair price? Or indeed recommend another tab.

Thanks.

Which Galaxy Tab are you looking at? There are at least 5 models.

Thanks.

Which Galaxy Tab are you looking at? There are at least 5 models.

I think its the 10" tab 2. 

I say I think, Its for my mom. You kindly offered me your advice in the general phone thread on the subject, she has since decided to go for a tab. She had a brief look in currys and was recommended the galaxy one.

She called tonight and asked my opinion (Im useless so run to VT) all she remembers was it was samsung galaxy, 10 inch screen, £240. 

Edited by av1

Assuming it's a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB WIFI then that's about the right price. If it has any higher spec it's probably a bargain.

Are you sure she wants to use a video camera in public with a 10" tablet?

Assuming it's a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB WIFI then that's about the right price. If it has any higher spec it's probably a bargain.

Are you sure she wants to use a video camera in public with a 10" tablet?

That's exactly what I said. Given the price difference I took your advice from the other thread and reccomended the nexus 7. But she wants to be able to take pics by the pool, silly I know but her train of thought is, if im spending a couple of hundred pound I may aswell get as much as I can for it. Alas,  that means pics and vids. 

does the galaxy tab 2 far favourably tech wise with its competitors in that price range?

Thanks for your advice. If you ever come across a 5 ft women taking pictures with a device nearly half her size you'll know she went for the galaxy ;-)

She'll take a picture with it once and never do it again because of all the people laughing at her.

Seriously, you need to stop her wasting money buying a non-portable tablet. Get a Nexus 7 and as limpid says, a digital camera.

For the digital camera, something like a Lumix: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-FS18-Digital-Camera/dp/B004I1KP84/ref=sr_1_11?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1365375128&sr=1-11 for £70, is light, will take far better photos than any tablet, portable, and will actually do the job it's made for.

The Nexus 7 is the perfect portable size, is available for £159.99, and will actually be usable.

So, you'll have saved her £10 over the price of a Galaxy Tab, and not wasted £240.

• Like 1

I have the nexus 7 32gb and it is a brilliant piece of kit.

I did use tethering from my giffgaff unlimited data sim for about 3 days and then got an email telling me they will kill the sim If I persisted . (I did not realise it was not allowed to be fair)

Â