Android tablet buying advice please......

jimmygreaves

I'm thinking of getting a cheap andriod tablet just for simple web browsing and the like. I want it to be running up to date andriod os, be able to access google play and maybe run videos etc reasonably smoothly. Nothing mega, just a cheap and cheerful, £150 ish, but functional.

Anybody had any experience of these or got any advice for me? Cheers VT'ers

I have heard nothing but bad things about the shitty £100 Chinese tablets such as shitty build quality, awful screens, dreadful battery life, completely unsuitable versions of Android all combining to make them a poor user experience. If you cant find £160 for a Nexus 7 then I'd recommend you dont bother getting a tablet at all, or just hold on for a few more weeks until you can afford it. Better to do that and have something that is actually good rather than spunking cash on something shit that you will use for a month and then put in a drawer and forget about.

Jimmy, just come over to my desk for a look at the Nexus 7 ;)

If you can't afford the £200 model, go for the £159 8GB and don't store too much on it.

There's really no other option for a cheap tablet.

Pretty much as above, get the Nexus 7 and if you can get one quick you can get the £15.00 credit for the playstore which runs out at the end of the month I think.

Its pretty much guaranteed to get the OS updates for the next 2 years.

I bought my daughter one of the cheap tablets. She is only 7 but managed to crack the screen playing a game on it. Every time you re-set it you had to change the language from Chinese and it always installed a lot of crap on there that you couldnt remove so had to hide instead.

Nexus 7 all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Coby kyros MID1125 appears to be fairly decent for the money.

Picked one up for £90 a couple of months ago for the nipper. It comes with some pretty limited software and crappy app site, but even a numpty like me was able to fix that.

10" screen, camera, old android (again you can strip this out and install better if you're that way inclined), been used daily by kids using all the twitbook myface crap going and it's still running well.

• 3 weeks later...

Boys need a cheapo tablet for my niece (in law). The father in law wants to buy her something that she can play a few educational games on. Also needs to have Skype, youtube and iplayer. Any good tablets out there. Budget is £100 or less.

• 1 month later...

Welllllllllllllllllll

I have just bought an Ipad2 and love it...

HOWEVER!

I also have the Acer A500 and also still love that...WHY I hear you scream...heres why

1 DAMN GOOD REASON WHY...

FULL USB, not mini USB FULL!!! I download films/series/etc...and play them straight from my USB drive...the TAB even remembers where I stopped playing even if I take it out and re-insert it.

Worth it's wait in gold imo.

Nexus 7 its a bloody good tablet. If I was you i would listen to rev if you cant afford to get one wait until you can its fantastic

Bought one for my gf for xmas and very impressed. Size brilliant top processor and film quality is superb

Id actually spend more on the nexus 7 if it came with a sharper more colourful screen, its still fantastic in its own right though. Cant be beaten imo.

Edited by Ingram85

Â