Android tablet buying advice please......

jimmygreaves

Well the 4G Nexus 7 is so you can use a 4G sim on a contract with it. Does she need to have more than a WiFi nexus 7? 

The Wifi Nexus 7 is idential and costs £199 from Google Play.

The £139 Nexus 7 is last years model and should really be avoided imo. 

It would also be worth waiting until New Apple iPad Mini comes out next month and having a look at that too.

Best advice is take her into a store in November and having her look at both Nexus 7 & iPad Mini. Does she have an iPhone or an Android phone btw?

We'll the ball and chain has now told me that she wants an Apple iPad for Christmas with full screen so the mini is out the window. I have a budget of £400-£450 so what is the best spec Apple iPad i can get for my budget? Needs the WiFi version and wants to use it for movies and the internet but is not interested in being on contract. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Noted Tesco's are doing refurbished 16g Apple iPads for just over the £300 mark or should i just buy a new one?  

I've always had an apple phone and I've stuck with my iPad 2 since I purchased it but I've finally got a bit bored and fancy a change. I've had no issues and loved my apple products but I kind of want to give android a go.

I hear good things about the nexus 7 and the price appeals to me. Bit worried it will be a bit small and also not sure it's worth getting as I plan on getting the nexus 5 phone when it comes out. Does anyone have both nexus tablet and phone? Is anyone planning to get both?

I have a Nexus 4 and  7 (and a Xoom). They do different jobs. They do those jobs well.

The new Nexus phone will replace the Nexus 4. I'll buy a new Nexus 7 when something goes wrong with my existing one. I'll probably buy a Nexus 10 when it gets refreshed as the Xoom is struggling now.

It's hard to recommend anything when you don't describe your usage.

Please don't ask which ipad is best in a thread about Android tablets. Thanks.

Yes Limpid my apologies for that but i couldn't find an existing thread on the Apple iPad and since the Mini iPad has already been mentioned in this thread i thought it would be ok to ask the question.

I use it for reading comics and magazines, occasional games, surfing the net and sending emails. I'd also like something that can be a bit more productive as not a huge fan of pages on the iPad, it also seems a pain to print things. I hear that's easier on the nexus.

With my iPad I also plug it into my tv to watch netflix, is this something I'll be able to do with the nexus 7?

Yes Limpid my apologies for that but i couldn't find an existing thread on the Apple iPad and since the Mini iPad has already been mentioned in this thread i thought it would be ok to ask the question.

Here it is

I use it for reading comics and magazines, occasional games, surfing the net and sending emails. I'd also like something that can be a bit more productive as not a huge fan of pages on the iPad, it also seems a pain to print things. I hear that's easier on the nexus.

With my iPad I also plug it into my tv to watch netflix, is this something I'll be able to do with the nexus 7?

It's got a smaller screen (with higher resolution). You'll have to try one to see if it works for you for reading comics and magazines..

I've no idea about printing. I assume all modern printers support cloudprint and I thought everything could print to cloudprint. Even Apple stuff.

I've no experience of Netflix, but I expect the Chromecast does this much more elegantly. I have a miracast box so if I used Netflix I'd stream it wirelessly from my Nexus 4 to the TV.

Miracast sounds a good idea. Is there any lag when you use it to watch video content? What annoys me with my iPad is that the 4od and skygo apps don't work when it's plugged into a tv so something like this would be great.

Did you purchase a dongle? If so could you recommend one?

I've always had an apple phone and I've stuck with my iPad 2 since I purchased it but I've finally got a bit bored and fancy a change. I've had no issues and loved my apple products but I kind of want to give android a go.

I hear good things about the nexus 7 and the price appeals to me. Bit worried it will be a bit small and also not sure it's worth getting as I plan on getting the nexus 5 phone when it comes out. Does anyone have both nexus tablet and phone? Is anyone planning to get both?

Well if I were you I'd put the priority on getting the Nexus 5 to replace the iPhone. Android is a vastly superior phone operating system than iOS but not so much so as a tablet OS.

It depends on what you specifically want. The Nexus 7 is a superb product but it may lay their unused by you and thus be a waste of money.

Do you use your ipad a lot and what do you use it for? You may not need a tablet at all or may find the Nexus 7 too small. There is a new Nexus 10 coming out this month I'm sure.

But the Nexus 5 for iPhone is a no brainer. Android is vastly superior to iOS on phones.

Miracast sounds a good idea. Is there any lag when you use it to watch video content? What annoys me with my iPad is that the 4od and skygo apps don't work when it's plugged into a tv so something like this would be great.

Did you purchase a dongle? If so could you recommend one?

Since Chromecast, Miracast only devices look like a dead end. I have a receiver I got from Amazon, but it's nothing special.

There is a small lag, but I'm not sure why that would make any difference. I start the stream and watch it on TV; I don't care if it runs slightly behind the picture on my phone as I'm not looking at the phone.

Here it is

Thanks mate for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â