View from the opposition - WBA fan

Liam_Baggies

Liam,

Baggies have always been my second team - My mother's family have all ways been Baggies fans and one of my best friends growing up was a massive follower. I hope first of all that carries some weight. I don't think there are many ardent supporters (I am a Villa season ticket holder) that could genuinely say they follow any other club, especially one they compete with in the top leagues. However if you scan through this thread you will see that it is obvious that there are many Villa fans that perhaps have a 'soft spot' for you lot that wear Tesco bags.

Unfortunately that view isn't shared and it really looks like such a case of sour grapes it is untrue. It's not all of you, as some posters have pointed out. But you wreak of bitterness. You have gone from coming here with an olive branch to looking like a bit of a tit and stirring up stupidity; Dragging up the fact many fans wanted rid of Ellis, Houllier & McCliesh is a very weak argument purely because the facts do not lie! It takes a big man to admit wrong however and fair dos there.

WBA won't be a bigger club than Villa until they can compete with the Fan base, capacity and draw of B6. It's not necessarily about Cups (they do go some way of course) it's purely about profile. WBA is by no means a small club, but you're in a position where you are only now just achieving recognition as a solid Premiership Side. We've been ever present.

If we go down this season and you finish 7th then that balance will truly start to tip, but I think if not this season than certainly next, B6 will be a fortress as far as WBA are concerned.

For Saturday - I'll sit on the fence and say 2-2; Villa coming from behind twice.

I work with a fair few boggies like this and before these games it gets just as bad as the blosers believe me. They can be billy big bollocks if they like but that's what caused Swansea's downfall two weeks ago. I'd imagine many of their fans will be expecting a win and that expectation may just be their achilles heel.

As far as a power shift happening in midlands football, that made me laugh. They may have a slightly better team right now but they only finished 9 points ahead of us in our worst season for 25 years, and havent won a trophy, or got to a final for over forty years. Thats not arrogance, its fact. Am I right in thinking they havent even ever played in europe either?

Oh yeah I reckon this game will be a draw. Depends on who gets the first goal.

If any of our fans are arrogant then this will be a massive kick in the teeth for them and certainly bring them down to reality. I knew we'd lose tonight, was just typical.

We have played in Europe, although it was a very long time ago. I wasn't even born! :P

I think it's much easier for a Smethwick fan because they can always play the small club card when it suits. A bit like Reading. If they beat us Sunday so what? It's really of little significance in the grander scheme of things.

Oh look, another opposition fan that's been brainwashed by the media. The vast majority of fans gave McLeish a chance. There were no banners or anti-McLeish chants from day one. as the media led people to believe. It took months of awful football, results and a terrible defeatist mentality to get the fans on his back. He was clearly the wrong choice and we were proven right. Pretty sure if West Brom had been cursed with that word removed you would have all wanted him gone within months too.

Liam,

Baggies have always been my second team - My mother's family have all ways been Baggies fans and one of my best friends growing up was a massive follower. I hope first of all that carries some weight. I don't think there are many ardent supporters (I am a Villa season ticket holder) that could genuinely say they follow any other club, especially one they compete with in the top leagues. However if you scan through this thread you will see that it is obvious that there are many Villa fans that perhaps have a 'soft spot' for you lot that wear Tesco bags.

Unfortunately that view isn't shared and it really looks like such a case of sour grapes it is untrue. It's not all of you, as some posters have pointed out. But you wreak of bitterness. You have gone from coming here with an olive branch to looking like a bit of a tit and stirring up stupidity; Dragging up the fact many fans wanted rid of Ellis, Houllier & McCliesh is a very weak argument purely because the facts do not lie! It takes a big man to admit wrong however and fair dos there.

WBA won't be a bigger club than Villa until they can compete with the Fan base, capacity and draw of B6. It's not necessarily about Cups (they do go some way of course) it's purely about profile. WBA is by no means a small club, but you're in a position where you are only now just achieving recognition as a solid Premiership Side. We've been ever present.

If we go down this season and you finish 7th then that balance will truly start to tip, but I think if not this season than certainly next, B6 will be a fortress as far as WBA are concerned.

For Saturday - I'll sit on the fence and say 2-2; Villa coming from behind twice.

We know we're not a big club, and we know that in terms of fanbase that we're behind you. Some of our supporters will admit we're behind the Wolves slightly in those stakes. However, football isn't judged on the stands, it's judged on the pitch. Whilst you have declined we've made massive improvements. Those improvements now see us as having a better squad than you - Although you might disagree, as you're entitled to.

We are, however, moving in the right direction and with our stadium redevlopement in the pipeline, which will allow the cheaper tickets then we're hoping that the next generation can be attracted to The Hawthorns. To do so we need to be successful on the pitch and we're currently improving there too.

If there are Villa fans that like us on this forum, then fair play to them, I couldn't bring myself to like or follow another Midlands side. It just doesn't feel right, but fair play to those that do.

I did react a wee bit over the top, apologies for that.

Exactly CI, I always used to laugh at blosers when they picked out the Villa games as the crunch ties of the season, how small time is that? Whereas we set our targets much higher. I get more of a kick out of beating Man Utd than blues. West Brom were never a huge rivalry to me but I know the West Brom fans see otherwise.

Knocked out of the cup at home by a bottom three club? You have to expect "giant" killing in the cup competitions mind.

Where did this fluffy cuddly friendliest supporters in the world bollocks come from? I hate Albion and sincerely hope that we beat you on Sunday. For me this is always the biggest game of the season (assuming we are in the same division). I for one fully reciprocate the rivalry.

So he pulls out pictures of managers out, you do know they were from one game, incidentally Bolton game which was in April. We had seen a year of his rubbish, constant excuses and wanted him out. As for the League Cup, no one that I know called it a mickey mouse cup, I think it was more the 1 major trophy in Blues History that everyone was laughing at, but you have made a lot of blanket statements in this topic.

As for my dislike comment, it comes through previous questionnaire's I've done and comments on other football forums, and twitter etc. You're viewed as the arrogant one, whereas Blues and Wolves are the less friendlier supporters and we're the likeable club in the midlands. Whether you agree with that is totally up to you.

no, you're probably right about albion being the likeable ones. you're so unoffensive (read: boring) as a club, from the cringeworthy boing boing thing you do, to the 'ingerlund' day you held when the FA stole your manager (all other fans would be apoplectic), to taking a wigan-esque following to your away matches and sitting in silence. we don't care about wigan either.

you say there wouldn't have been the same reaction to an appointment at the albion akin to that of mcleish down the villa. and again, i agree with you. but that's simply down to the fact that west bromwich albion is a passionless club. you sit down away from home, your fans in the brummie road end look like they've been encased in concrete since the introduction of all seater stadia, and you allow villa fans to walk around your ground every season you bother to stay in the PL, singing derogatory songs, without so much of a response.

although, i'll give you this: you're all excellent at putting across your hatred towards us on the internet. i regularly venture onto westbrom.com and every other post is filled with vitriol about the villa. hilarious how you're all silent on match days, though. as i say, passionless.

oh and if you're going to use images to try to prove that we were against mcleish from the start, you should probably use some from the first month or two of his reign; not some from the end of april vs bolton when it looked like we were down. indeed, we may have been had you beaten us in the next game; your cup final. :lol:

As for my dislike comment, it comes through previous questionnaire's I've done and comments on other football forums, and twitter etc. You're viewed as the arrogant one, whereas Blues and Wolves are the less friendlier supporters and we're the likeable club in the midlands. Whether you agree with that is totally up to you.

no, you're probably right about albion being the likeable ones. you're so unoffensive (read: boring) as a club, from the cringeworthy boing boing thing you do, to the 'ingerlund' day you held when the FA stole your manager (all other fans would be apoplectic), to taking a wigan-esque following to your away matches and sitting in silence. we don't care about wigan either.

you say there wouldn't have been the same reaction to an appointment at the albion akin to that of mcleish down the villa. and again, i agree with you. but that's simply down to the fact that west bromwich albion is a passionless club. you sit down away from home, your fans in the brummie road end look like they've been encased in concrete since the introduction of all seater stadia, and you allow villa fans to walk around your ground every season you bother to stay in the PL, singing derogatory songs, without so much of a response.

although, i'll give you this: you're all excellent at putting across your hatred towards us on the internet. i regularly venture onto westbrom.com and every other post is filled with vitriol about the villa. hilarious how you're all silent on match days, though. as i say, passionless.

oh and if you're going to use images to try to prove that we were against mcleish from the start, you should probably use some from the first month or two of his reign; not some from the end of april vs bolton when it looked like we were down. indeed, we may have been had you beaten us in the next game; your cup final. :lol:

Albion fans were frustrated and disappointed that Hodgson left for England but what else could we have done to keep him? There was not a chance he would stay and I bet he would have done the same if he was at Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs etc. Hodgson did a marvellous job for us hence he got the send off he deserved.

Our away folllowing is nowhere near as bad as Wigan. Granted it isn't the best in the world, but it certainly isn't the worst either.

1. What are your thoughts on the start to the season you have made?

Not bad. Deep down we all know this is a work in progress and there will be the occasional Southampton humiliation, but theres a definite change in the air at VP this season. Lambert seems very driven and we need that.

2. What are your thoughts on our start to the season?

Great.....but actually not all that surprising to some of us.

3. Do you feel that the authority of West Midlands football is changing? I.e. We're finally becoming top dogs ahead of yourselves?

Whoever finishes better IS the top dog. Ask that question again in May.

4. What are your opinions of WBA as a club and its supporters?

Put it this way, the rivalry with the unwashed rabble down the road is a purely social issue. Rivalry with your lot is based on football, as it should be and its a much healthier one. I know Albion supporters have this peculiar antipathy towards Villa fans, but honestly its a one-way street.

5. What are you expecting from Villa for the remainder of the season?

Consolidation.

6. What are you expecting from Albion for the remainder of the season?

Long hard slog, so might fade after Xmas. Outside bet for the F.A.Cup maybe?

7. Your thoughts on your summer transfer business?

Workable. Vlaar was a absolute steal, although he can have the odd wander upfield. Benteke, too, may surprise people.

8. Players we should look out for, and players you fear in our side?

Depends on which combo Lambert decides to throw at you? I liked the look of Gabby/Benteke and we all know the boy loves a derby game. I just think you'll see a more confident Villa this time, rather than the turgid, despondent crap we served up last season. As for who WE should fear.....no-one, or rather no-one in particular because if the whole team turns up you can give anyone a few problems.

9. Team Paul Lambert is most likely to choose on Sunday?

Again, we never know who Lamberts going to pick because he's not afraid to mix the team up game by game. Having said that, I would think you could pretty much see the same side start that turned Citeh over the other night.

10. And finally, score predictions?

Close....too close. Very possibly a creditable draw, but you're turning in some good performances this season so I would'nt be all that surprised if you snatched all three points.

Thank you & here's to an entertaining game which is a good advert for West Midlands football.

Cheers! Always is.

I always look upon the Villa - Baggies derby as being a bit like England verus Germany. West Brom hate us and are always hell bent on beating us at every opportunity, but we're fairly ambivalent in response and focus our hatred elsewhere.

Certainly looks like a one sided rivalry as they don't seem to be bothered by us. Need to beat them a few more times and finish above them a few more seasons and we may see that change.

Take no notice Webby, they hate us, like we hate them.

They really want us to give a shit don't they? :D

1. What are your thoughts on the start to the season you have made?

Decent start

2. What are your thoughts on our start to the season?

Nice start

3. Do you feel that the authority of West Midlands football is changing? I.e. We're finally becoming top dogs ahead of yourselves?

No. Villa is still the top dog and Paul Lambert over the next few years will ensure this.

4. What are your opinions of WBA as a club and its supporters?

Decent size club, ok fans (some idiots of course) but a decent club.

5. What are you expecting from Villa for the remainder of the season?

Avoid relegation and finish around 12th+

6. What are you expecting from Albion for the remainder of the season?

You'll fade out but will be clear of any relegation talks imo.

7. Your thoughts on your summer transfer business?

I like it, different approach.

8. Players we should look out for, and players you fear in our side?

Gabby maybe he looks like he might trouble you lot on current form and maybe Benteke.

Hmm.. tough one that but maybe Lukaku.

9. Team Paul Lambert is most likely to choose on Sunday?

No Idea

10. And finally, score predictions?

2-2 maybe.. though I obviously hope we win instead.

Thanks for answering for him. However, I'd still like him to answer the questions himself for our benefit.

He's also a mod over there, so he knows I'm also bumping this thread so that he's more likely to get responses.

He didn't answer for me. I answered on the previous page.

For the benefit of those which want to here my viewpoint on them, here goes:

1. Given the young players in your squad I would say it's been a decent start. Nothing special. Nothing too much to worry about.

2. Excellent start for us. Never expected it. Clarke has us playing fluent football whilst still being very good defensively.

3. It's changing. You're no longer the bullies you once were. I would say at the moment in time, we have a far better squad than you and I think that will tell over the course of the season. Our team is capable of winning a cup competition, just whether we can and will is another question. The fact Randy is also cutting his cloth accordingly will only help turn the tables.

4. I love the club and the supporters are brilliant. If you want me to switch it to a Villa related question. Don't particularly like the club and the arrogance which surrounds it's supporters.

5. Plenty of inconsistency and a below mid-table finish.

6. Top half finish, plenty of fluent football and a decent run in one of the cups.

7. Fantastic summer transfer window for us. The permanent signing of Foster and the fact we retained our better players was also vitally important. The signings of Lukaku and Yacob have also been remarkable, Yacob has fitted in superbly well and I fully expect him to dictate the game on Sunday. Rosenberg again is another with a pedigree who will bring something to us as the season progresses. El Ghanassy is learning the game in this country and Popov will provide competition and experience to Liam Ridgewell.

8. You should look out for Morrison who has been superb for us and Lukaku who will look to bully your centre halves. Don't really fear anyone in your side bar Benteke who looks decent so far. Providing we don't allow him any service, I'm not going to worry about Bent.

9. Foster; Reid, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Yacob, Mulumbu; Brunt, Morrison, Gera; Long

10. 1-1.

Yes, we may be arrogant in the minds of other Midlands' clubs fans. But arrogance in terms of Midlands' football is born off the back of being the most successful and biggest club, by quite some way. In reality, all Villa fans do in general is state facts.

Last season you finished above us for the first time in 32 years. Now all of a sudden Tesco think the 'footballing landscape' is changing - do you not see how small time and naive that makes you look? Like others have said, we had all this hype from Small Heath when they managed to finish above us. It all points to the very obvious fact that it's a major accomplishment for another Midlands club to finish above the Villa and I'm big enough to say well done when it happens. But it doesn't happen very often at all and all this unadulterated excitement that you somehow think you're 'overtaking' us is frankly embarrassing. It just highlights the gulf that still exists between the two clubs.

I'd much rather be arrogant than deluded.

Â