View from the opposition - WBA fan

Liam_Baggies

Hi.

As a moderator on www.westbrom.com we run a weekly View from the opposition where I asks fans questions, they respond with their answers, and later this week I create an article to which I shall also link to via this topic.

Apologies to the mods and admin if this is in the wrong board.

1. What are your thoughts on the start to the season you have made?

2. What are your thoughts on our start to the season?

3. Do you feel that the authority of West Midlands football is changing? I.e. We're finally becoming top dogs ahead of yourselves?

4. What are your opinions of WBA as a club and its supporters?

5. What are you expecting from Villa for the remainder of the season?

6. What are you expecting from Albion for the remainder of the season?

7. Your thoughts on your summer transfer business?

8. Players we should look out for, and players you fear in our side?

9. Team Paul Lambert is most likely to choose on Sunday?

10. And finally, score predictions?

Thank you & here's to an entertaining game which is a good advert for West Midlands football.

You've got the right forum, buddy. Welcome! I'll give your questionnaire a go.

1. Stuttering. We've ranged from absolutely awful, to really quite impressive. It hasn't been comfortable but I've seen enough to show that, given time, Lambert can make us into a good team and we'll be fine this season.

2. Impressive. I thought Clarke would struggle to be honest but he seems to have hit the ground running. Results against Liverpool and Everton are particularly impressive. It's early days yet, but he seems to be handling the job fairly well.

3. In a word, no. We've come off the back of our worst ever Premier League Season under the guard of, statistically, our worst ever manager. We're definitely in a false position and I fully expect us to recover over the next few seasons. No denying WBA are stronger at this moment in time. But the "top dogs" in West Midlands Football? it'll take more than a season or two of finishing above us to claim that title.

4. I've never had a problem with WBA or it's fans. I think there's an element of you not really liking us but we're sort of indifferent to you guys. But I might be biased as my mother and a couple of my uncles are WBA fans, so i probably look on you more favourably than other Villa fans might! To be honest, part of me is glad you seem to have shaken the "yo yo club" status. Rivalries aside, I feel sorry for fans of those sorts of clubs as it's always joy followed by agony every year, so it must feel good to be more established these days.

5. Inconsistency developing into steady progress. I expect us to finish anywhere from 10th-15th. Won't be relegated, but we won't be troubling the European places either.

6. I think you've had a teriffic start but I can't see you keeping up the pace you're setting now. From what I've seen so far, a top 10 finish is well within your grasp, I'd be surprised to see you challenging for Europe though.

7. Hard to say. it's been adventurous, that's for sure. Some guys have had an immediate impact. Vlaar and El Ahmadi have both been very impressive at times. Benteke has also shown flashes of brilliance, and Lowton has settledd into the team reasonably well. The rest (and those already mentioned to be honest) are all out to be judged. They've all come from the lower leagues or abroad so we don't really know much about any of them. So that's both exciting, but also a little nerve wracking, as we've not much clue how they'll turn out. Early indications though is that the business has been solid, but short of spectacular.

8. Vlaar is a rock. Didn't have his best game against Southampton, but was excellent against Swansea the week before. Benteke is huge and looks well able to bully defenders, and El Ahmadi is capable of some creativity in the middle.

For you lot, Lukaku looks bright. Really highly rated so will be interesting to see if he can add to his goal against Reading. And I've always admired Chris Brunt. I always fear that big left foot!

------------Guzan

Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Lichaj??

------------El Ahmadi

Bannan---------------Lowton

------------Ireland??

--------Bent-----Benteke

I've put ? next to Lichaj and Ireland. ireland could well be unfit, so we'd probably see Ashley Westwood drop into DM and El Ahmadi play further forward.

Lichaj didn't have a good game against Southampton, so there's a chance he'll be dropped. Joe Bennet would be likely to take his pace I think.

Everyone else I'd say is nailed on. Possibly Weimann in for Benteke, but I'd guess Benteke will keep his place.

10. So hard to predict because of our lack of consistency. If we play like we did against Swansea, I'd back us to win. But if we play like we did against Southampton, you'll comfortably beat us. I thin kwe'll improve, but with the possibility of Ireland being out, we'll struggle to feed the strikers. So I'll be diplomatic and go for 1-1

1. What are your thoughts on the start to the season you have made? Pleased to see better football, pleased Impostor has been banished. Currently patient, but also concerned at the level of inexperience in the squad. We've got our club back a fair bit, but it's not all that healthy right now.

2. What are your thoughts on our start to the season? - Excellent start, better than I thought. I'd be well chuffed if I were in your place.

3. Do you feel that the authority of West Midlands football is changing? I.e. We're finally becoming top dogs ahead of yourselves? It depends how you look at it - you've a better side, and finished higher last season. If it's all on recent form, then yes, you are. If there's more to it than that, then no. I don't think it matters, it's just opinion. there's no definitive "fact".

4. What are your opinions of WBA as a club and its supporters? Proper club, proper fans. The right kind of rivalry.

5. What are you expecting from Villa for the remainder of the season? More of the same - consistently inconsistent. Major transition. Some thrashings, some highlights, hopefully something to come from the season to set us up for the future.

6. What are you expecting from Albion for the remainder of the season? Again, more of the same. A pretty good season.

7. Your thoughts on your summer transfer business? Promising players in, deadwood out, but not any finished articles brought in. Signings for the longer term, which is good and clearing out the overpaid and under-performing lumps.

8. Players we should look out for, and players you fear in our side? I think (and like) that both sides are genuine "team" based sides. It's all about the collective.

9. Team Paul Lambert is most likely to choose on Sunday? I think he'll make changes after Saturday. I think Gabby may get a game, but it depends on the midweek game and injuries, I guess.

10. And finally, score predictions? - 1-1

Promising signs, better/more attacking football but we all know it will take time for Lambert to sort out the mess McLeish left us in.

Flying!

3. Do you feel that the authority of West Midlands football is changing? I.e. We're finally becoming top dogs ahead of yourselves?

Better team? At the moment and last season, yes. Bigger club? No way.

More intelligent than our West Midlands rivals Wolves and SHA but ultimately I think you hate us more than we hate you and you don't seem to be able to work out exactly where you come from, also, a very well-run club that seems to have finally shaken off the "yo-yo" (or "boing boing" :winkold: tag).

A hard season, we will finish mid-table at best but as long as we continue to play football the right way and we see the same effort from the players all season then they'll be few complaints from me.

Hopefully six points off them for us! Seriously though I can see you finishing anywhere between 9th and 14th.

Let's just say it looks like Lambert has a very, very good eye for a player!

Benteke will cause you all sorts of problems, especially in the air and Ron Vlaar is nicknamed "concrete" for a reason! As for you, Mulumbu always seems to have a stormer against us, Lukaku is "your Benteke" if you like

and Long is always a threat.

Hopefully a winning one!

Score draw.

Its been feast or famine. We should have beaten Newcastle after controlling the game and having all the best chances and then we brushed aside Swansea with ease. Fast forward 7 days and we collapsed in the second half like the English middle order.

The inexperience of the squad means we’ll have a lot of good and bad results, with seemingly little middle ground.

You have started well and seem to have found a few goals to add to your play.

We’re as poor as we have been since 1987, but the Villa were still the biggest club in the Midlands then. Its good for the West Midlands that another side is actually stepping up, as the Villa apart, its been the footballing equivalent of Rwanda for the past 50 years.

To go back to the original point, no, you’ve not overtaken us as the “top dogs”. You currently have a better side than us though. But we have heard all this “tide turning” crap from SHA after they finished above us the once in the early 00’s.

The Albion are an alright club. There is not a great deal to be offended by with the Albion.

You used to be our biggest derby before you got relegated and stayed down, with the Express and Star hyping it up with the Wolves. That said, there was never the same kind of needle as in the Birmingham derby.

Your supporters are just like any others. You have your expectations, you have your complaints and like everybody else in the Midlands, you don’t like the Villa very much.

More feast and famine type results

A decent campaign and a midtable finish.

You cannot erradicte two years of decay in two months. We’ve bought a lot of good young players, but its going to be a few windows yet before the quality can be built ack up. The wages to turnover ratio is in good order now, which is a plus.

Benteke is a bit of a beast. Very good feet when our full backs can remember to play it into him. He’s also very awkward to deal with.

Bent will always score goals given the chance too.

Guzan in goal, Bennet, Clark, Vlaar and Lowton across the back, KEA holding, Bannan on the right, Holman on the left N’Zogbia in the hole and Bent and Benteke up front.

If anybody plays well tonight, then they will put themselves in contention.

2-1 Villa.

It would be quite nice if you could actually post the "view from the opposition". Or is this strictly one way?

Once I've collected the replies, I shall post a link to the article in this topic.

The article will be similar to this, only Villa related: http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=9272.msg190435#new

I must say, however, there might be a few digs towards Aston Villa which are meant purely as banter.

You called this thread "View from the opposition" and yet it contains nothing from the opposition. You could at least answer the same questions yourself.

Would you like me to answer it? You are the only person to have questioned the title in the time we've being doing it.

You are our opposition, hence the name it's given.

As an asode Liam, can you add my response to your question about who will cause prpblems. For you iys Morrison. He is by far your best player and makes you tick.

Couldn't you have done the whole thing? :D

Totally agree. Morrison has been a different class for us since Hodgson took over back in 2011. He's got a hamstring injury so could probably miss out on Sunday unfortunately. He's certainly a big doubt for tomorrow.

Slightly disappointed, thought we were moving in the right direction with the Newcastle and Swansea performances but then the Soton game seemed somehow worse than the Everton display.

Been very surprised, and also impressed. Thought you'd be right down there without Hodgson, but Clarke's got you playing and I'm impressed with the signings, particularly Lukaku on loan.

Last season we were ridiculously poor, in large down to our worst manager in the PL era. This season is massive in defining who are currently 'top-dogs' in the West Midlands. Saturday may go some way towards giving us a clue.

Starting to enjoy the rivalry more, think it's important as don't see Blues coming back any time soon. Always found WBA fans to be OK whilst being aware they tend to hate Villa.

Expect us to finish just below halfway, with some surprise results (both good and bad) thrown in there.

Similar to ourselves in final league position, no danger of relegation.

Fairly happy as I think Vlaar, El Ahmadi and Benteke will do well this season. Then hoping others such as Bennett and Westwood come good in future.

Gabby loves a derby game, can see him scoring on Sunday as he looks to be back on form after his brace against Man City tonight. Do rate James Morrison highly for you, and fear Lukaku.

Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett, El Ahmadi, Delph, N'Zogbia, Holman, Agbonlahor, Benteke. Although it's tough to call as Weimann played well tonight as my XI doesn't include Darren Bent.

I'll go for 3-1 Villa

Inconsistent. We've been beyond dire and, as seen tonight against Man City, we've been able to beat the best. It will remain like this for much of the season until Paul Lambert really gets a settled team together.

You have made a flying start to the season, no question. Any team with goals in the side will do fine in this league.

No, not at all. As others have said, last season we had our worst manager in modern times and a team that very nearly, and perhaps deserved, to get relegated. Even in one of our darkest seasons in the top flight, the Albion only finished 9 points ahead of us.

Credit for doing so, and you probably have a better team at this moment in time. But football changes very quickly and how successful a club is, is usually based on its achievements over a far longer period than a season or two.

Strange club Albion. I never really had a true dislike for them as our rivalry is most definitely with the blue half of Birmingham. However, in my experience this attitude from a majority of Villa fans seems to wind Albion fans up even more as they call us 'arrogant' etc.

But the simple fact of the matter is, if Albion had been by far the most successful Midlands club since it formed then us Villa fans would probably hate your guts. It hasn't worked out that way thus far, meaning you have always been very much an after thought when it comes to rivalries.

Some of the hatred I've seen from Albion towards Villa is very hostile but in the main this simply isn't replicated.

As I said, more ups and downs and probably a 12th place finish which would be an acceptable first season for PL.

I think you will finish 10th or 11th, probably just above us.

Ask me in January. So far, most of the signings looks either good or promising. Ron Vlaar is probably the pick of the bunch, along with Benteke.

Gabby needs no introduction to derby games. So far it is mostly Blues he has caused misery for; I'm sure he'll be fired up for Sunday.

Lambert likes to rotate so it could literally be anything. But I tip Gabby to start up top, what with it being a derby. God knows who will start in goal.

Could go either way but I'm feeling an optimistic 2-1 to the Villa.

You called this thread "View from the opposition" and yet it contains nothing from the opposition. You could at least answer the same questions yourself.

It's fairly clear from his post that the questions are for an article called "View from the Opposition" for HIS site, a Baggies site. i.e we are the opposition, in terms of the article.

As a moderator on www.westbrom.com we run a weekly View from the opposition where I asks fans questions, they respond with their answers, and later this week I create an article to which I shall also link to via this topic.

Thanks for answering for him. However, I'd still like him to answer the questions himself for our benefit.

He's also a mod over there, so he knows I'm also bumping this thread so that he's more likely to get responses.

Thanks for answering for him. However, I'd still like him to answer the questions himself for our benefit.

He's also a mod over there, so he knows I'm also bumping this thread so that he's more likely to get responses.

He didn't answer for me. I answered on the previous page.

For the benefit of those which want to here my viewpoint on them, here goes:

1. Given the young players in your squad I would say it's been a decent start. Nothing special. Nothing too much to worry about.

2. Excellent start for us. Never expected it. Clarke has us playing fluent football whilst still being very good defensively.

3. It's changing. You're no longer the bullies you once were. I would say at the moment in time, we have a far better squad than you and I think that will tell over the course of the season. Our team is capable of winning a cup competition, just whether we can and will is another question. The fact Randy is also cutting his cloth accordingly will only help turn the tables.

4. I love the club and the supporters are brilliant. If you want me to switch it to a Villa related question. Don't particularly like the club and the arrogance which surrounds it's supporters.

5. Plenty of inconsistency and a below mid-table finish.

6. Top half finish, plenty of fluent football and a decent run in one of the cups.

7. Fantastic summer transfer window for us. The permanent signing of Foster and the fact we retained our better players was also vitally important. The signings of Lukaku and Yacob have also been remarkable, Yacob has fitted in superbly well and I fully expect him to dictate the game on Sunday. Rosenberg again is another with a pedigree who will bring something to us as the season progresses. El Ghanassy is learning the game in this country and Popov will provide competition and experience to Liam Ridgewell.

8. You should look out for Morrison who has been superb for us and Lukaku who will look to bully your centre halves. Don't really fear anyone in your side bar Benteke who looks decent so far. Providing we don't allow him any service, I'm not going to worry about Bent.

9. Foster; Reid, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Yacob, Mulumbu; Brunt, Morrison, Gera; Long

10. 1-1.

Â