Windows Mobile : General chat

BOF

The Xbox is getting increasingly important for Microsoft. They can "own" the living room with that thing in the medium term, but areas where they have traditionally been strong are really starting to slip away from them. Windows Phone is lovely, but like most people, I like it but would never buy one.

Microsoft will be fine in the long run... they'll be just like IBM before them, IMO. Nearly irrelevant in the main areas of technology, but with decent R&D and enough legacy business to stay around. They might even make a move into services, a la IBM and Unisys.

Yeah, in the Enterprise and SMB space Microsoft are getting more traction if anything, much to my dismay. When Google cloud services are so obviously utterly superior to Exchange + Office 2010 + Server 2008 + SQL which it seems everyone has, it really does cause some perplexation. So I think we're now seeing this kind of consolidation pattern:

Utter noobs, chavs and women: Apple

Tech-savvys and main consumer market: Google

SMB/Enterprise groupware: Microsoft

Commodity hosted: Linux server

Had the 8S for a week, swapped it for the 8X, had it for just about a month and now sold it. Advice to self: Dont buy a windows phone again.

I think that's good advice to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So my wife has bought a Lumia 520 as the screen on her Xperia Tipo is too small. So the inevitable happens, can I set it up for her.

Slight issue as the Lumia takes a micro sim and the Tipo a normal size one. No problem I thought, I can set it up via WiFi, sort out her her email account and then when she gets her micro sim its good to go...........wrong.

Apparently if for any reason you don't complete the account set up first time round the phone throws up a very useful error code and you simply cannot then set up a hotmail account. You have to reset the phone.

For a budget handset the Lumia appear a nice phone, just let down badly by the software.

You can cut down a normal size SIM (which is actually a mini sim) with a pair of scissors if you are careful, or you can probably buy a SIM cutter from Amazon or some local phone repair shop for less than a fiver.  Not the best solution in the world, but it helps if you are impatient. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could be a good move by Microsoft as Nokia have been making some nice looking phones. Will HTC and Samsung stop developing Windows phones. One interesting point to make though is that while they have brought Nokias phone making operation they are unable to use the Nokia brand.

Edited by lp_villa830

I don't understand how this isn't a criminal offense. A Microsoft mole gets made CEO, ditches their new OS (Maemo), dedicates the company to Windows phone crapware, tanks the share price, the company sells to MS, and then the Microsoft mole gets a nice new job and more responsibility at MS. It's **** scandalous. **** everything about Microsoft.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Nothing inherently wrong really but nothing overtly good. Its just there. Existing. Like a phone version of Keanu Reeves. He's still around but you don't really give a ****.

• Like 1

Like most Microsoft products, they watch something happen, realise it's become big, then attempt to worm their way back into a trend they completely missed with an inferior product

e.g. Zune

Internet Explorer

Xbox (only hung in there until now from massive loss-making investment)

Windows Phone

Surface

They have no idea how to innovate and think that just by throwing money at something rubbish, they can con people into buying them.

The main problem with Windows Phone is that it's too late. The market is already saturated by Apple and Android manufacturers. There's no point to anyone developing for such a small platform that isn't growing particularly quickly and only has a few phones.

Ignore the Apple boys. Windows Phone > iPhone.

It does everything an iPhone does and more. I know it doesn't come with one of those little Apple badges that the kids are so impressed by but if you can get over that, it has everything you need.

Â