Windows Mobile : General chat

BOF

I am still so very tempted by the nexus 4. What a great time for phones (patent wars aside).

Just done some digging and found the price for the lumia 820 is £380!!!!!! Well im guess im going to get the 8S then as for a mid-range phone that price is absolutely ridiculous, surely no one will pay that for it? It also begs the question, just how expensive is the 920 going to be? £525+? At these prices WP8 dominance could well be HTC's to lose then.

I think the Nexus 4 pricing has thrown a spanner in the works of a lot of other manufacturers plans. I guess they are all hoping that the market sees the Nexus 4 as a niche thing and nobody really notices it outside of people who follow the enthusiast press. That said, how many people really buy their phones SIM free? It's got to be a tiny fraction of the overall market, hasnt it?

There is no official price yet. AT&T announced the Lumia 920 at a much cheaper price than we thought. So hold on.

The Lumia 920 is £427 over here in Dubai. Had a play with it and it looks and feels great. After getting my Nexus 7 tablet I thought the Nexus 4 phone would be a foregone conclusion, but this has really got me tempted.

Am I going to feel cheated by the lack of apps on Windows though?

Anyone like me who is looking at htc's budget windows 8 phone - the 8S, will be interested to know its launch has been delayed until the 23rd November and will cost £225 rather than £240. Even more of a bargain.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/sim-free-htc-windows-phone-8s-lands-in-the-uk-november-23rd-14-11-2012/

Anyone like me who is looking at htc's budget windows 8 phone - the 8S, will be interested to know its launch has been delayed until the 23rd November and will cost £225 rather than £240. Even more of a bargain.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/sim-free-htc-windows-phone-8s-lands-in-the-uk-november-23rd-14-11-2012/

Would you see this as a better package than the Nexus 4?

Not used W8 but seen a demo of the Lumia 920 and it looks very good, but not sure what the app store will be like?

Would you see this as a better package than the Nexus 4?

Not used W8 but seen a demo of the Lumia 920 and it looks very good, but not sure what the app store will be like?

Not really but I'm bored of android, intrigued by wp8 and can't afford a Nokia 820 or HTC 8X. Out of the 8s and nexus 4 the Nexus is the better phone.

Went to a few shops today to get an idea of prices

Lumia 920 - £470

Lumia 820 - £380

HTC 8X - £370

HTC 8S - £225

Now what I don't understand is why Nokia is asking so much for their 'budget' phone?, it's got a similar screen to the 8s and is lower specced than the 8x yet is £155 more expensive than the 8s and even more confusing is that it's £10 more than htc's flagship model? Crazy.

It does seem like they are pricing themselves out of the market there, but I'm not sure how relevant those prices are when most (the overwhelming majority?) will be getting the handset subsidised with a contract. Are the on contract prices as far apart from each other as those you quote?

So what type of user do you think will get the most out of Windows 8? For those that wouldn't be looking to sync multiple windows devices perhaps?

What about cloud storage and video / music purchasing?

In the hypothetical world where the handset is the same, would any (or many) choose Windows over Android?

It does seem like they are pricing themselves out of the market there, but I'm not sure how relevant those prices are when most (the overwhelming majority?) will be getting the handset subsidised with a contract. Are the on contract prices as far apart from each other as those you quote?

Not sure to be honest, I didn't really look at contract prices as i am getting one sim free. Getting impatient now at the lack of info around the 8S

So what type of user do you think will get the most out of Windows 8? For those that wouldn't be looking to sync multiple windows devices perhaps?

In the hypothetical world where the handset is the same, would any (or many) choose Windows over Android?

I doubt many would to be honest, also I do not think there is a 'type' of person for each OS, just have a play with different phones in stores, get a feel for each one, do some research on line and get the one you like most as they all do the same basic things. The only reason im changing is because I am bored with android (not that its bad by the way, far from it but ive grown tired of it) and have recently got windows 8 on my laptop, love the cleanliness of it, the aesthetics and think htc's wp8 offerings are some of the most beautifully designed phones ive ever seen. Having had a play with the 8X the other day I honestly believe its the most gorgeous phone i have ever held. Its also made me re-evaluate and try to save up a bit more to get it over the 8S

Verizon's advertising for the HTC 8X would seem to indicate that WP8 is targeted at people who are too stupid to use Android or iOS.

Not saying that you'd have to be stupid to want a Windows Phone, just that seems to be who it's being sold to. Makes some sense: at this point, if you're reasonably technically inclined you've likely already got a smartphone and become sufficiently invested in the platform (e.g. apps bought, experience customized, etc.) that you're not likely to switch. The market for a newish platform like WP8 is thus people who aren't as invested in a given platform and those who haven't gotten a smartphone yet: those groups may well have more people who aren't as technically inclined.

The focus from Nokia on things like voice call quality and camera quality, i.e. the killer features of pre-smartphones, might also be part of this strategy, come to think of it.

Still waiting for the 8S to come out, not sure why apple are the only company who can announce a release date and more importantly, stick to it. Why are other companies so vague about releases dates?

Was supposed to be out mid October, then it was the 23rd and now its a range of from tomorrow up until mid December. Meanwhile htc have gone all quiet about it. I don't get it?

• 1 month later...
Â