The Assange/Wikileaks/Manning Thread

Ads

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

We've done it before, you failed to see reason on any of those occasions so I gave up.

If the entire allegation was made up purely to extradite Assange to the US, why did the Swedish Authorities just let him walk around Sweden for two months!

I've never seen anything you've posted on this matter as anything other than tin foil hat material.

The Swedish authorities didn't regard this as a serious matter having carried out a preliminary investigation, and originally dropped the case.  You may be aware that the women went to the police to ask if he could be required to have an STD check, not to report a rape.

It was reinstated, with a different prosecutor.  There was involvement from a politician and lawyer who had facilitated rendition to the US. The UK later secretly pressured Sweden not to drop the case, asked them not to interview him in the embassy (we were told it was not legally possible, which was a lie).  Emails between the UK and Sweden on the case have been destroyed.

If you've actually followed the case, other than reading the stuff the Guardian have been printing, you will know this.

The US has been in the background all the time, and more recently have spied on Assange's meetings with lawyers and medics. 

"Tin foil hat" is a remarkably unthinking response, and along with "conspiracy theory" is a sign of wishing to accept an official version of something without going to the bother of actually reviewing available facts.  It's disappointing to see it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, peterms said:

If I happen to notice the Guardian or the Mail reporting on this, I'll be happy to link it.  Perhaps you might look out for them covering it as well?

Meanwhile, do you have any reason for doubting what it says?  Have you tried spending 15 seconds on a websearch to see if other sources confirm the links of her husband and son with military and intelligence firms?  Or do you prefer to disbelieve anything coming from sources other than mainstream, as a default position?

Unsure depends really, do you disbelieve anything negative towards Russia? We all have things we are instantly for or against. Me its Assange, you its Russian criticism. 

Please take that as an admission of my prejudices and not a criticism of you. 

Edited by Seat68

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Unsure depends really, do you disbelieve anything negative towards Russia? We all have things we are instantly for or against. Me its Assange, you its Russian criticism. 

Shall I take your answers to those questions as no, no, no and yes respectively, then?

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Let me be more specific, that source seems a bit niche and for something so damning its seems odd that you didnt post a more main stream article on it.

It's niche because you live in a freedom & democracy (tm). Educate yourself.

It was never going to stand up in Swedish court.

Rape (even if he did it) is pretty much seen as a slap on the wrist crime. A couple of months and you get time of for time served during trial.

Our system is broken, rape is almost seen as a lesser crime than petty theft to our vile excuse for judges and courts.

It's pretty much THE worst thing about Sweden ATM

9 hours ago, peterms said:

Shall I take your answers to those questions as no, no, no and yes respectively, then?

Mostly no as I was at the cinema and searching out stuff about assange was less of a priority. I still arent though as it isnt my story its yours. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, peterms said:

Take back control.  Stop being the poodle of the US.

I've got no sympathy for Assange or the diplomat's wife, but it's hard to argue against the poodle point when the parallel is so blatant.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I've got no sympathy for Assange or the diplomat's wife, but it's hard to argue against the poodle point when the parallel is so blatant.

The US have a standing policy to never extradite their own citizens to face a court in a foreign country.  

Assange is an Australian citizen so there is no reason for the UK to hold him if the US (or Sweden for that matter) want him. If he was a UK citizen that would make it a more subservient move by the UK.

The parallel is not there in that regard.

Edited by LondonLax

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The US have a standing policy to never extradite their own citizens to face a court in a foreign country. ....

The parallel is not there in that regard.

We have an extradition treaty with the US.

• 10 months later...

I'd be surprised if he thinks that now after 4 years of Trump.

Meanwhile the peoples of the World are still being robbed, and the UK's on its knees to keep the sorry international money laundering shitshow on track.

Edited by Xann

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

100% no. Look at the message. It's purely about 'starting a new network'.

His statment is "if he's going to start a new network showing how corrupt the old ones are is helpful". I'm pretty sure Assange believes those things he writes there about corruption in the US establishment and thinks Trump is the way to blow it all up. Whether he knows something from his wikileaks sources or he's being fed missinformation from Russia or some other theory?

Â