The Assange/Wikileaks/Manning Thread

Ads

8 minutes ago, peterms said:

And the two women involved apparently went to the police in the first place to ask if he could be required to be tested for STD, not to report an offence.

So you do admit that there are actually two women involved. Unless you can connect them in some way as agents of the US then EVERYTHING else you've posted is tinfoil hat material

That one of the crimes these women are a victim of is still within its statute of limitations and that woman still wishes to pursue the matter rather flies in the face of the conspiracy theory stuff you've been posting. Surely she'd not want that to happen if the initial claim was just a ploy as you've been trying to persuade us, as it will delay extradition to the US

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware the case was never dropped. It was paused because he obviously wasn't going to be going anywhere. Effectively became a slightly bizarre cold case, where all the elements are there, just one wanted to hide in an embassy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

So you do admit that there are actually two women involved. Unless you can connect them in some way as agents of the US then EVERYTHING else you've posted is tinfoil hat material 

What a strange thing to say.  Do you think that believing the US has been deeply involved in this also requires thinking the two women were US agents?  That's just weird.

2 hours ago, peterms said:

What a strange thing to say.  Do you think that believing the US has been deeply involved in this also requires thinking the two women were US agents?  That's just weird.

Why else would they make the spurious claims in order to get Assange arrested and renditioned to the US as you seem to have been claiming all along, It's your logic not mine (and Assange's I seem to recall)

My logic is quite simple, two women have made claims against him in Sweden and the US wants him on Espionage. These events aren't connected

The best thing for the UK to do is send him to Sweden at the end of his sentence here (or before) and let the US deal with Sweden not us

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

It isn't, is it?

Well one would expect the Home Secretary to seek out some sort of assurance as per the Mutual Legal Assistance guidelines and prove all the legal rights campaigners wrong when they suggested a dangerous precedent was set last year when Sajid Javid didn't seek assurances from the US on those two UK citizens who were apparently ISIS types.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Why else would they make the spurious claims

Not all the claims are spurious.  It seems he had sex with both women on consecutive nights (and both were put out by this behaviour, as well you might be).  The claim about the torn condom does seem to be spurious, since it didn't have his dna on it.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

in order to get Assange arrested and renditioned to the US

It's your theory, not mine, that people think the women did this in order to get him renditioned.  Presumably working back from this, you seem to construct a tale of sting agents and whatever.  One of the women seems to be a naive person who was completely blindsided by the whole thing.  The other, who lent her apartment because she would be away and then turned up unexpectedly and ended up shagging him, I  don't know.  It's quite possible the story is genuine, but it may not be.  The issue doesnt hinge on that.

My view, if you are interested, is that he was a prime target for the US from the moment he exposed their many war crimes.  An opportunity presented itself, and they seized it.  They had to do some work, since the prosecutor had dropped the case, but this was remedied by getting their old pal who had previously rendered people (illegally) to take on the case and reinstate the pursuit.

The sex element is an added bonus, since his high-handed and explotitative behaviour  alienates many on the left who might otherwise support him, but anything would do, and this opportunity was not to be passed up.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

My logic is quite simple, two women have made claims against him in Sweden and the US wants him on Espionage. These events aren't connected

@peterms I'm not sure which bit of this you didn't understand, the rest are the logical consequences of what you are saying not me

Ah what's suprise the US saying he has broken some other laws over there. What a shock. 

They will. NEver let him free as he is a threat against them sk what better wsy than creating bogus charges against himso he is behind bars until his death. 

9 hours ago, bickster said:

@peterms I'm not sure which bit of this you didn't understand, the rest are the logical consequences of what you are saying not me

What you say is this:

Why else would they make the spurious claims in order to get Assange arrested and renditioned to the US as you seem to have been claiming all along, It's your logic not mine

You are saying that people who defend Assange against the US believe that the women made their claims in order to get him renditioned.  This is something that you've just made up, and claimed to be a logical consequence.  It's not.  What I think, for clarity, is that the women were understandably mightily pissed off with him, not that they were part of a prior conspiracy to entrap him.  For the US, the involvement of the Swedish police with Assange was an opportunity that presented itself, not an elaborate sting operation.  The conspiracy, and the US involvement, came later, when the investigation was reinstated after having been dropped.  That was very obviously a political decision, as has been everything to do with the case from then on.

17 hours ago, bickster said:

That one of the crimes these women are a victim of is still within its statute of limitations and that woman still wishes to pursue the matter rather flies in the face of the conspiracy theory stuff you've been posting. Surely she'd not want that to happen if the initial claim was just a ploy as you've been trying to persuade us, as it will delay extradition to the US

There’s two or three unrelated things. Swedish sex crimes and American leaks. They are independent allegations. Wiki people can be sex creeps. The UK government can get on its knees for the U.S.

its quite interesting seeing people add these things together and come up with their certainties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He is very unwell accoridng to the news and his lawyer. Won't be suprised if he doesn't even make the trials. 

Which trials? He's already convicted in this country. Do you mean the extradition hearings? I doubt there'll be one in this country. He'll be arrested under a European arrest warrant to face trial in Sweden before he's ever extradited to the US. Unless of course we leave the EU before his sentence is served which might complicate matters

So  I see the UN investigator has said that Assange's treatment amounts to torture.

Julian Assange has suffered "prolonged exposure to psychological torture", the UN's torture expert has said.

Nils Melzer urged Britain not to extradite the Wikileaks founder, warning that his human rights would be violated and that he is not fit to stand trial.

He also accused "several democratic states" of a "concerted effort to break [Assange's] will".

I gather the BBC and Sky have interviewed Melzer, but have not aired the interview.

Someone must have suggested there were bigger news priorities, perhaps what Melania was wearing, or Donald's new hairdo.

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Whilst Assange chose to stay in the embassy of his own volition surely he was torturing himself. 

One would have to be very gullible to think that someone would subject himself to this for fear of being questioned about having sex with a willing partner while possibly not wearing a condom.

• Like 2

There has been actual torture and rendition proved / brought to light in all this of course. Which was carried out by the UK and the US governments. Never a bad time to remember that when you're sounding like Jeremy Hunt. But, you know, Jack Bauer and stuff :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

There has been actual torture and rendition proved / brought to light in all this of course. Which was carried out by the UK and the US governments. Never a bad time to remember that

Indeed.

jack-straw-gt.jpg&f=1TELEMMGLPICT000163421809-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqnjcgOEmjComRJj7yhDPboTG8XMH-8JMVI20-FMdq02s.jpeg&f=1

• Like 1

Yes he was literally walking down the road when MI5 / Mossad / CIA chased him into the Embassy, he had nowhere else to turn as he was cornered and ran through the only exit available to him which just happened to be the Embassy of a foreign country with no extradition treaty to either the EU or the US and friendly relations with a certain large Eurasian former superpower, what were the chances

At the time Assange was trying to convince us that his crimes in Sweden were a fabrication to get him extradited to the US and it doesn't matter how many times you talk about having sex with a willing partner without a condom to make it sound like it was nothing, the consent was for sex with a condom and without one it is considered a sexual assault in Sweden. Let's also not forget that the US hadn't charged him with anything at this time.

The US could just as easily have asked for extradition from the UK at the time, so why did they not do that? Sorry but the conspiracy theory just doesn't add up for me

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Yes he was literally walking down the road when MI5 / Mossad / CIA chased him into the Embassy, he had nowhere else to turn as he was cornered and ran through the only exit available to him which just happened to be the Embassy of a foreign country with no extradition treaty to either the EU or the US and friendly relations with a certain large Eurasian former superpower, what were the chances

At the time Assange was trying to convince us that his crimes in Sweden were a fabrication to get him extradited to the US and it doesn't matter how many times you talk about having sex with a willing partner without a condom to make it sound like it was nothing, the consent was for sex with a condom and without one it is considered a sexual assault in Sweden. Let's also not forget that the US hadn't charged him with anything at this time.

The US could just as easily have asked for extradition from the UK at the time, so why did they not do that? Sorry but the conspiracy theory just doesn't add up for me

You know he will be chargeg as soon as he steps foot on us soil so that point is bit irrelevant. They are going to make. Massive example of him that's for sure if he goes to us

Â