Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He's the type of player I can see staying with us for at least 4-5 years before moving on, I think he will have a lot of debt to pay to the club from bringing him in and having the faith to play him all the time (Same with lowton). Those two I can see staying for a while!

That is a very impressive pass completion. Havent seen the game but if he was executing purposeful passes again (thats 2 games on the trot  :) ) - Then thats positive.

He, like everyone of Lamberts signings, bar Benteke still have someway to go to put right what has been another dreadful season on the pitch imo.

Two nervy wins, against the leagues 2 worst performing sides has not changed much for me. I imagine that I will still be watching a very poor side a week on Sunday.

He gets a lot of assist assists which go unnoticed (if that makes any sense!)

Out of interest, do you have a number? I mean, you can say that about any player because nobody knows the exact number of second assists. Sure, if you had said Iniesta or Xaxi I would have concured, but I cannot remember "a lot" of second assists from Westwood.

I think he is a decent player with a shot of making it in the Premier League, but I would also say that his season so far (on the whole) has been below average. Expected of course, given that he came from lower divisions and didn't carry a huge reputation, but still he has to be judged compared to everyone else in this league. Also, judging him on a 97% pass completion rate is not really worthwhile in my opinion, rate him after 38 games and see what's what when he's played all the top sides twice. Making assessments only after beating the worst team in the league is dangerous, it is only two weeks ago this very same person was slagged off on here for playing terribly bad against Man City, Arsenal et al.

He gets a lot of assist assists which go unnoticed (if that makes any sense!)

Out of interest, do you have a number? I mean, you can say that about any player because nobody knows the exact number of second assists. Sure, if you had said Iniesta or Xaxi I would have concured, but I cannot remember "a lot" of second assists from Westwood.

I think he is a decent player with a shot of making it in the Premier League, but I would also say that his season so far (on the whole) has been below average. Expected of course, given that he came from lower divisions and didn't carry a huge reputation, but still he has to be judged compared to everyone else in this league. Also, judging him on a 97% pass completion rate is not really worthwhile in my opinion, rate him after 38 games and see what's what when he's played all the top sides twice. Making assessments only after beating the worst team in the league is dangerous, it is only two weeks ago this very same person was slagged off on here for playing terribly bad against Man City, Arsenal et al.

In 20 Premier League appearances his pass completion averages at 85.5% with 3 assists. The player he says he models his game on is Michael Carrick, who has played 26 games and has a pass completion average of 87.8% with 4 assists. For a young player to step up from League 2 and come straight into the top flight its safe to say that hes performing very well and way above what we would have expected from him.

Nobody is judging him solely on the QPR game, but more so on his entire season so far, in which he has clearly been one of our stand out players.

I do like Michael Carrick as a player and if Westwood turned out to be half the player then I would be very happy indeed. However, I have seen too much football to know that statistics in terms of passing can be misleading. Not saying that it is for Westwood, but there are numerous other parameters on how to judge a central midfielder. I guess most Liverpool-midfielders these days have hundreds of passes every game, but do they ever make on on the other teams' side of the pitch? Westwood is a decent player, but he has been under criticism over large chunks of this season and even two weeks ago. People forget easily when a player is performing OK, which was all he did against QPR and Reading. Solid, OK, decent, satisfactory. I was happy with his performances, but he did not boss the midfield in any way.

Clearly among the stand-out players? Not for me. Brad Guzan, Christian Benteke and perhaps Andi Weimann are the only ones who can be proud of the fact that they single-handedly kept us up this season, if so happens. Westwood together with Lowton, Clark, Bannan et al knows they have let the club down at times, and that's why we have to fight for our survival this season.

I do like Michael Carrick as a player and if Westwood turned out to be half the player then I would be very happy indeed. However, I have seen too much football to know that statistics in terms of passing can be misleading. Not saying that it is for Westwood, but there are numerous other parameters on how to judge a central midfielder. I guess most Liverpool-midfielders these days have hundreds of passes every game, but do they ever make on on the other teams' side of the pitch? Westwood is a decent player, but he has been under criticism over large chunks of this season and even two weeks ago. People forget easily when a player is performing OK, which was all he did against QPR and Reading. Solid, OK, decent, satisfactory. I was happy with his performances, but he did not boss the midfield in any way.

Clearly among the stand-out players? Not for me. Brad Guzan, Christian Benteke and perhaps Andi Weimann are the only ones who can be proud of the fact that they single-handedly kept us up this season, if so happens. Westwood together with Lowton, Clark, Bannan et al knows they have let the club down at times, and that's why we have to fight for our survival this season.

Westwood along with Clark and Bannan? Westwood has bene head and shoulders above both Clark and Bannan, who have made mistakes consistently. 

Westwood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bannan

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Westwood along with Clark and Bannan? Westwood has bene head and shoulders above both Clark and Bannan, who have made mistakes consistently. 

Westwood has also made many many mistakes (Perhaps they just go unnoticed because they are not punished).

All 3 (over the season) have been pretty poor.

Perhaps Andi Weimann????? Perhaps???

Westwood has also made many many mistakes (Perhaps they just go unnoticed because they are not punished).

Westwood has, by no stretch of the imagination, been "pretty poor".

He's been ok this season, looks to play sharp, incisive passes and threads them through the middle quite often, which I really like, though he does give away the odd sloppy one.  Definitely looks comfortable on the ball, which is always a sign of a potentially good player (Gabby, for example, never had that but made his name from his pace.  Sadly, that's not really enough to take him into the top group of players who regularly push for England caps).

The thing Westwood really needs to improve upon is his general drive and movement.  He is physically a bit lightweight and sometimes gets caught out by the
pace at which players move around the pitch at this level.

I know he is told to play the sitting position in centre mid but there are times when the best players, even defensive ones, see big spaces ahead and burst forward to expoit them.  Too many times I've seen Westwood step back from breakaway situations where he was one of the most advanced players.  It's as though it's drummed into him that his position is around the half way line and that's as far as he goes (something I don't believe Lambert would say).

Hopefully, maturity will help him make his own (correct) decisions at key moments.  He's definitely got potential to be a good PL player but he is far from proven at this stage.

Westwood has, by no stretch of the imagination, been "pretty poor".

I'd love to know what games you watch.

Erm, Man City a, Southampton a, Chelsea a, Tottenham h, Newcastle h,

Look Im not singling the lad out, but stop kidding yourselves there has been many at all that has come out of the last 8 months with any credit. Benteke, Weimann, and Guzan. Thats it. The rest have been poor. The midfield have been absolutely woeful. Thankfully, and I give them all credit here, we look like we may be improving (westwood included) - but you cant seriously suggest to me I should have sat watching this season thinking wow, hes good.

Edited by Woodytom

Yes. Yes I can suggest that.

Maybe the fact that basically everybody else is disagreeing with you is a small hint you may be a little wide of the mark with this one?

Only criticism I really have of him is he's poor in the tackle and has no strength. With the ball he's fine. Doesn't help when he's playing next to Bannan though, a bit of muscle next to him and he'll be alright.