Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I don't think anyone is trying to claim he is vital.

Here is just one example: though I appreciate the word vital might not be used -

His previous 2 seasons he was a really important player for us.  

Whatever happens to Westwood, I find it interesting that he divided fans so divisively. I've never known a player divide opinion so much.

Put this number in your phone for when he leaves 08457 90 90 90 ;)

• Like 1

westwood can be put into the pool of players under "cost cutting" department, after watching him for 2-3 seasons i carnt recall a full game he has dominated,cast your mind back when we you walked to VP knowing the team would match for most, sherwood will move westie on in the summer. milner is on a free ffs!!

• Like 1

Whatever happens to Westwood, I find it interesting that he divided fans so divisively. I've never known a player divide opinion so much.

Put this number in your phone for when he leaves 08457 90 90 90 ;)

Hilarious comment aside, not really sure what it's got to do with my point. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

I don't think anyone is trying to claim he is vital.

Here is just one example: though I appreciate the word vital might not be used -

His previous 2 seasons he was a really important player for us.

Right? I'm not sure what your point is?

My original point argues that he has never been a vital/important player for us to any great extent. I'm not saying people are on here saying he's vital/important right at this moment, I'm disagreeing that he has been at all since he arrived. (Which is what people are saying).

With reference to Stefan's point about dividing opinion. I don't really think that applies anymore. Sure there are people who don't rate him at all, but certainly since last summer, those who rated him highly do not see him as the same player anymore. Those who rate him seem to be more inclined to see him as a decent asset to the squad.

I think opinions seem so different because the original opinions of those who rated him were so wild, it was unbelievable. IMO of course.

Vital and important don't mean the same thing.

No they don't: as I highlighted that I appreciated the word vital wasn't used. (Don't let that get in the way though).

Also, if be interested to know whether you believe 'really important' is closer to being vital than just 'important'??

After all 'really important' are the words bunnski used!

I believe the scale goes:

Shite beyond belief, very poor, poor, average, good, important, very important, vital.  To illustrate that with worked examples it would be:

Tonev, Luna, Bennett, Westwood, Cleverley, Hutton, Guzan, Benteke.

• Like 2

Westwood has shown grit and improved as a player in that time, and although he is never going to set the world alight, he will be a player of premier league standard if he isnt already.

I don't see the point in getting rid, he hasn't reached his potential yet and I don't doubt that he will fulfil his potential in the future.

I dunno. The guy is 25 now, his current standard is pretty much as good as it's going to get.

I remember a certain Gareth Barry coming into his own around 25-26. When MON came to Villa he looked a different player to me, got into the England squad as a regular too, all after 25 years of age. It isn't uncommon for midfielders to blossom in their later 20's for me. Heck all players are different. 

He has been a really important player for us. He had an average of 1.9 key passes per game last season, a player that offers that is really important especially being the deepest sitting midfielder. This season he has suffered along with a lot of other players due to bad tactics and no confidence in the team, does this just apply to certain players and not Westwood? It's hardly a far fetched idea to suggest he can step up his game under a new manager with more attacking tactics.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is trying to claim he is vital.

His previous 2 seasons he was a really important player for us.

Right? I'm not sure what your point is?

My original point argues that he has never been a vital/important player for us to any great extent. I'm not saying people are on here saying he's vital/important right at this moment, I'm disagreeing that he has been at all since he arrived. (Which is what people are saying).

I wasn't arguing your original point. I don't tend to pay much attention to your posts in here any more as you've openly admitted you are too harsh on Westwood, so there's little point in debating them to be honest. If your original point was that he's never been important for us then that's fine. Good for you. But I wasn't referencing your original point so it's not relevant.

It was you who quoted my post (which wasn't in response to your "original point") saying that nobody thinks he IS vital to our team, with a quote of somebody saying that he WAS important. I assume you were trying to prove me wrong with that.

Putting aside the fact that "vital" and "important" aren't the same thing, my point was nobody thinks he is vital to our team NOW. Present tense.

Bunnski's quote said that he WAS important in the previous two seasons. Past tense.

Our quotes aren't contradictory. He has been important to us in the past. Our midfield has improved since then and he is no longer vital to us.

Edited by Stevo985

Perhaps the reason Sherwood said this was to motivate Westwood for the game on Sunday? I thought he looked great the last time he was on the pitch and I would be sad to see him go.

Though, if he does go, I'd love to see Gary Gardner take his place next season!