Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood is like Carrick, does the simple things well. He's not the problem, hopefully we sign Gil and he's the answer to our attacking midfield problem. If we get the balance right we'll be ok, a midfield of Westwood, Cleverley, Cole and Sanchez is not going to work. Cole of 5 years ago yes but he's legs have gone now. Cleverley is just being played out of position. But he's not the answer either.

Westwood does some of the simple things well but if we're going to get the balance of midfield right IMO both him and Cleverley should miss out.

Neither does enough defensively and neither offers enough offensively.

Get Delph and Sanchez in the middle with 2 wingers and 2 up top. Simples!

Yea, 442 died about 10 years ago, please never suggest using a formation again, thanks. [emoji57] Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Our current system is rigid and is not working. We should be trying something different not repeating the same mistakes every week!

What is the worst than can happen? We lose and don't score! That never happens! :)

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I like Westwood as a player, and he is the most reliable passer out of our starting midfield three, although I think his inclusion in the starting line up really hampered us on the weekend. Sanchez was doing really well in that holding role and I don't see the logic in trying to fix one of the only things in our team which was not broken.

I think we really need to look at how best to include them both tactically, since we know Delph is going and Cleverley isn't cutting it. If we can't then Sanchez starts for me out of the two on form. I'm interested to know what you guys think on how best to play them both.

Edited by rjenkins

I don't think he and cleverley should miss out.

But one of them should miss out.

In fact, I'd argue that if Gil turns out to be a good attacking midfielder, we should only be playing one of Westwood, delph or Cleverley

Gil to replace Cole in the team against Liverpool and Delph to replace Cleverley

Ye sounds good. Hopefully play Westwood and Sanchez as deep midfielders and let Delph have more of an attacking role just infront of them. Benteke, Gil as starters and any of Gabby/Weimann/Grealish/Zogbia/Cole/Bacuna for the other spot depending on tactics.

Yes Delph and Gil to give us more attacking impetus and either Gabby or Weimann to partner Benteke.

Where's the width?

Playing so narrow is a big part of why we look so poor upfront.

yes but if we haven't got anybody thats either ready or good enough then whats the point of picking natural widemen. 

Yes Delph and Gil to give us more attacking impetus and either Gabby or Weimann to partner Benteke.

Where's the width?

We don't do width. I've given up in even hoping for any whatsoever.

Where's the width?

We don't do width. I've given up in even hoping for any whatsoever.

Yep the only way we can do it is to play 3 at the back and have Lowton and maybe Richardson as wingbacks. 

Interesting what happens with Westwood.

If Gill is going to be an am instead of a winger then Westwood needs to be dropped.

Sanchez and Westwood sitting deep with Gil in front. If we want to play nice football we're going to need midfielders who can actually pass the ball.

• Like 1