Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I just don't understand some fans mentality. We moan about the hoof ball we've been playing under Lambert, but still slate Westwood when he's one of the only ones that tries to play football the right way.

I'm not moaning at the way he tries to play. He is a capable passer of the ball, I just think we need and can do better.

I just don't understand some fans mentality. We moan about the hoof ball we've been playing under Lambert, but still slate Westwood when he's one of the only ones that tries to play football the right way.

I'm not moaning at the way he tries to play. He is a capable passer of the ball, I just think we need and can do better.

So who do you suggest? We paid what? 800k for him? Who could you get better than Westwood for a few million in our current situation?

My criticism of him has always been centred around his pathetic off-the-ball contribution. On the ball he is a competant technical player, nothing more. I'm still yet to see why he is so grossly overrated or what exactly "ticking over" constitutes. He usually has very little impact on games and is a complete passenger more often than not.

When he actually plays well, like he did in that little run of games including Cardiff, Newcastle, Man United etc. we all noticed and praised him for it. The reason many people don't most the time is because he is totally anonymous. The problem though is people have been so taken in by the "unseen work" mantra that any anonymous performance is automatically deemed acceptable under the guise of this.

It was the same with Petrov during the O'Neill days, I always thought he was the obvious weak-link in that midfield but his inclusion was excused on for the same reasons that Westwood's is.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

Not a patch on Delph.

Its interesting how people think that Westwood should play further up the pitch, in the Joe Cole role if you like, but has he got the ability to play there?

He can't really beat people wityh skill, has no pace, and isn't particularly keen on getting forward, hes no Lampard player.I think PL will play 2 holding midfielders, Delph and Sanchez, a footballing midfielder in front, Joe Cole, and 2 widish attacking players with 1 forward.

Its the exaggerated ability of Westwood that annoys me, for me hes no better than KEA, and thats not good enough for AVFC.

Agree with all that Isa

• Like 1

So who do you suggest? We paid what? 800k for him? Who could you get better than Westwood for a few million in our current situation?

Well we seem to be after Sanchez and were after ki. We've signed Cole and we have Gardner coming through.

I think we can try different midfield combinations. The only one who should be an ever present in it is delph.

• Like 1

My criticism of him has always been centred around his pathetic off-the-ball contribution. On the ball he is a competant technical player, nothing more. I'm still yet to see why he is so grossly overrated or what exactly "ticking over" constitutes. He usually has very little impact on games and is a complete passenger more often than not.

When he actually plays well, like he did in that little run of games including Cardiff, Newcastle, Man United etc. we all noticed and praised him for it. The reason many people don't most the time is because he is totally anonymous. The problem though is people have been so taken in by the "unseen work" mantra that any anonymous performance is automatically deemed acceptable under the guise of this.

It was the same with Petrov during the O'Neill days, I always thought he was the obvious weak-link in that midfield but his inclusion was excused on for the same reasons that Westwood's is.

Petrov was massively under-rated when he played for us.  His game was to break up play and give the ball to one of our attacking players, in the season before he got sick he had started adding goals to his game and was a top quality player for us for a few seasons, alot of fans only realised how important and good he was after he was gone.

Evidently our views about Petrov are as polarised as our views on Westwood. We all see things differently though. I didn't think he was particularly good, certainly not good enough for a top-four chasing side. His defensive contribution was hampered due to his immobility. Once the quality of our midfield (and team as a whole) completely deteriorated, only then did he play to an acceptable standard which highlighted his level.

• Like 1

So if you create a chance and that person doesn't score it's the creators fault? Westwood is the only decent passer we have at the minute. People love Delph yet he doesn't create much. I think if Westwood took people on instead of passing it he'd get more recognition! He has to up his game this year but if as a passing midfielder you have zero movement up front you'll never look brilliant.

Westwood hasn't got the ability to take people on like delph.
I know and Delph hasn't got his passing ability that's the point

Delph has lots of qualities thats why people rate him. Westwood trying to take people on wouldn't make people rate him more.

Westwood has lots too and they're different to Delphs yet some people rate Delph a lot more. My point is Delph looks a more exciting player because he goes past people where as Westwood keeps things ticking over. If you look at their stats there's nothing in it.

• Like 1

Evidently our views about Petrov are as polarised as our views on Westwood. We all see things differently though. I didn't think he was particularly good, certainly not good enough for a top-four chasing side. His defensive contribution was hampered due to his immobility. Once the quality of our midfield (and team as a whole) completely deteriorated, only then did he play to an acceptable standard which highlighted his level.

Yeah I guess you must need glasses or laser eye treatment.

only joking lad  ;)

• Like 1

It's all subjective with regards what people look for in a footballer. If you like tricks and flashy skills then you'll be more biased towards a skilful player. If you appreciate the subtler side of the game, then you'll be more appreciative towards a different kind of player. Nobody is wrong really.

• Like 1

So if you create a chance and that person doesn't score it's the creators fault? Westwood is the only decent passer we have at the minute. People love Delph yet he doesn't create much. I think if Westwood took people on instead of passing it he'd get more recognition! He has to up his game this year but if as a passing midfielder you have zero movement up front you'll never look brilliant.

Westwood hasn't got the ability to take people on like delph.
I know and Delph hasn't got his passing ability that's the point

Delph has lots of qualities thats why people rate him. Westwood trying to take people on wouldn't make people rate him more.

Westwood has lots too and they're different to Delphs yet some people rate Delph a lot more. My point is Delph looks a more exciting player because he goes past people where as Westwood keeps things ticking over. If you look at their stats there's nothing in it.

He does more than just keep us ticking over tho, the guy has a great killer pass on him and has added goals to his game as well.  I'm expecting big things from him this year.

It's all subjective with regards what people look for in a footballer. If you like tricks and flashy skills then you'll be more biased towards a skilful player. If you appreciate the subtler side of the game, then you'll be more appreciative towards a different kind of player. Nobody is wrong really.

Except anyone who rates Nathan Baker...

;)

• Like 2

This reminds me of the Bannan thread.

Really? How?

Key passes/stats/how much he adds to the game. As said before, sometimes it is what we see that matters, and I think Westwood does more than he is recognised for and thus to me the stats mean nothing.

Same with Bannan, although the opposite opinion at the end (as in he offered nothing).

• Like 3

I like Westwood a lot. I think he's a tidy little player with a good tecjnique and eye for a good pass. I think him and Delph together with Sanchez, if he comes, would be a quite fine midfield. They might complement each other very well in 4-3-3 or 3-5-2/5-3-2. But that's probably just me. :)

• Like 3

If Saturday is anything to go by, his corners have not improved. He has put a bit of beef on though, which was needed. Neat and tidy player but now as it his 3rd season at the club I am expecting a bit more drive and influence in games. He has turned 24 so isn't a kid anymore. I hope he has the ability to progress in such a tough environment at Villa at the moment.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Never mind their passing skills or fancy footwork or unseen workrate or stats, Westwood, Delph and KEA are all too lightweight.

They do not impose themselves enough on the game, and their occasional flashes of adequacy are really not enough.

Midfield is so important, and these players need to be replaced before we can make any sort of progress.