Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Discussion on Lambert's merits as a manager in the Westwood thread, definitely didn't see that one coming. Looks like nothing's changed ahead of the new season, sigh.

It's almost like people have to throw as many off topic negatives in on a discussion as possible despite the fact it derails the thread and usually ends with all the threads being filled with the same generic shite...

• Like 2

You mean the ones that Benteke wanted to be like that? Oh, ok then. Westwood at fault.

If you bothered to read my post above, you'd see that I accepted that but if that is so, let's not pretend that his set-pieces are therefore good.

Edited by Isa

I like the idea of the Key Pass stat, but I think it is flawed. All chances are not created equal, and there has to be a baseline against which to judge "good" those chances were.

Perhaps an assists/key pass ratio would be a better indicator. You could even take the key pass ratio of the team as a whole and use that to normalize an individual's ratio to compare across teams.

Anyway. I like stats.

Discussion on Lambert's merits as a manager in the Westwood thread, definitely didn't see that one coming. Looks like nothing's changed ahead of the new season, sigh.

It's almost like people have to throw as many off topic negatives in on a discussion as possible despite the fact it derails the thread and usually ends with all the threads being filled with the same generic shite...

The manager comments were on topic, they pertained to Westwood's role in the squad and whether each poster thought management would/could accommodate a more suitable role for his abilities.

I hope he can continue to use his great passing in a more positive manner.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Incredibly overrated player.For me the sooner he is out the team the better.Is incredibly poor defensively, gave so many goals away last year i lost count, has limited passing ability, not one assist last year if i am right apart from set pieces, is weak, slow, and ineffective.

Hopefully Ki or Sanchez will play alongside Delph next season, and we buy a better attacking player to play in front of them.

Nothing against Westwood personally, but i find it incredible how rated he is by some on here.Lambert might have had a soft spot for him, hopefully Keane can see how limited he is., would prefer GG tbh.

Incredibly overrated player.For me the sooner he is out the team the better.Is incredibly poor defensively, gave so many goals away last year i lost count, has limited passing ability, not one assist last year if i am right apart from set pieces, is weak, slow, and ineffective.

Hopefully Ki or Sanchez will play alongside Delph next season, and we buy a better attacking player to play in front of them.

Nothing against Westwood personally, but i find it incredible how rated he is by some on here.Lambert might have had a soft spot for him, hopefully Keane can see how limited he is., would prefer GG tbh.

Rubbish. Doesn't deserve further debate.

You mean the ones that Benteke wanted to be like that? Oh, ok then. Westwood at fault.

If you bothered to read my post above, you'd see that I accepted that but if that is so, let's not pretend that his set-pieces are therefore good.

And we seemed to persist with the very same set pieces even after Benteke's injury? Why? 

Stoke for one, lost his man for the 1st, wrong position for the 2nd, not marking space for the 3rd...Fulham, gave the ball away, then failed to close the player down, 2 defeats.

Apart from scoring against the Albion, i can't think of anything else he did positive.Hes an average passer at best, and i can guarantee that the midfielder we are trying to sign is to replace Westwood.

If we get Sanchez/Ki then Westwood won't be in the 1st team.

You rate him, thats fine, doesn't mean we all have to.

Stoke for one, lost his man for the 1st, wrong position for the 2nd, not marking space for the 3rd...Fulham, gave the ball away, then failed to close the player down, 2 defeats.

If that is the definition for giving goals away then I'm not surprised you lost count. He wouldn't make the top 3 most culpable players for any of the goals against Stoke and yet he somehow gave them away.

I think I lost count of the number of goals "given away" by every midfielder, defender and goalkeeper in every major league.

The manager comments were on topic, they pertained to Westwood's role in the squad and whether each poster thought management would/could accommodate a more suitable role for his abilities.

I hope he can continue to use his great passing in a more positive manner.

He is not a great passer by any stretch of the imagination. It may be his 'key' attribute but it is utterly average. When i think of the great passers we have had in recent memory, Merson, Barry, Milner, Petrov etc..to hear Westwood's passing described as great shows you have far we have fallen.

He has been a decent buy for £800k or whatever it was, I would have no qualms about him being here as part of the squad. If a takeover where to happen tomorrow, he would be the first player I would replace. With a real strong midfielder.

Apart from scoring against the Albion, i can't think of anything else he did positive.Hes an average passer at best, and i can guarantee that the midfielder we are trying to sign is to replace Westwood.

If we get Sanchez/Ki then Westwood won't be in the 1st team.

You rate him, thats fine, doesn't mean we all have to.

You can guarantee that Westwood is the midfielder we are trying to replace.? It's good to have another itk around here, what other guarantees can you give us about the team Paul? 

I think Westwood is the one to be replaced.

Delp is our best midfield player. We look to be signing a DM and we have Cole and nzogbia who can play as an attacking midfield player.

I think Westwood will play less minutes this season due to others taking his place.

Westwood's massively underrated, just like Carrick was/still is criticised by many. On the whole he reads the game well, keeps the ball well and is a fantastic passer of the ball.

Carrick is underated, as a man who has man numerous PL titles and the CL.

I don't know how you can say Westwood is tbh :(

I don't want to piss on everyone's chips but that's probably because he takes our corners. I like Westwood, but he needs to influence games more if he wants to be a true guaranteed starter. He's very good at spreading the play, but if he does end up further forward he needs to be more direct and really make things happen.

This is true, though I don't think we've seen the best of him since he spends so much time sitting back 'protecting' the back 4, with a proper defensive midfielder doing that job he should be able to cross the half way line and use his brilliant passing to get players away, plus he is pretty neat on the ball which should allow attackers a little bit more space, I think his ability to find a short pass is fairly wasted behind central midfield.

But when he signed he himself said that his role was to sit in front of the defence. Like Carrick

To be honest, it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what he said in a press conference. If that isn't his best or most effective position, or the most valuable position for the team (it isn't, or else why would we be trying to sign Sanchez) then he should play in a different role. 

i Can guarantee that you will be telling me i was right Bunnski.

I'd put a smiley thing in there but don't know how to do it.

Well unlike yourself I can't give any guarantees regarding the team but I'd be of the opinion that once we sign a DMF then we will play a diamond in midfield and Westwood & Delph will be the 2 centre midfielders. We can also set up plenty of other ways to accomadate a DMF and both Westwood & Delph . I'm hopeful that Lambert realises that Westwood is wasted sitting back so deep and will play a proper DMF to allow Westwood to dictate games by concentrating on what he is good at. 

Edited by Bunnski

I just don't understand some fans mentality. We moan about the hoof ball we've been playing under Lambert, but still slate Westwood when he's one of the only ones that tries to play football the right way.

Edited by juanpablo
  • Like 2