Richard Dunne

Zatman

I gave up on that ages ago, Trent.

If Warnock and Hutton go I will consider this a successful window. At least Dunne's only got a year left on his contract and even then I doubt he'll be playing all that much just so long as Vlaar and Clark stay fit.

Has Clark ever played well at CB? He seems really weak to me and for such a tall lad he's not the best jumper. The pace thing wouldn't be an issue if his positioning was excellent but is it? I like his touch and passing but I just don't have as much enthusiasm or confidence in him at CB as others seem to have.

As much as it pains me to say it - this is a bad loss. Now we are extremely low on (PL) experience at CB.

This.

Whilst I think Vlaar and Clark could potentially be a good partnership in the future, I'm not sure if it will work right away. It would have been nice to have Dunne alongside one of them and to work the other one in. Now they will be have to be thrown in at the deep end.

Hopefully they will both do well. It's a tall order though for them both to gel straight away...

I'd rather we start the season with Clark and Vlaar and I'd have said that before Dunne's injury. He was never going to be fit all season and given his average form for the last two years I'd rather we start with Clark alongside Vlaar and give them the chance to form a partnership that will hopefully see us through the season.

Dunne is past it, we can't depend upon him for either fitness or performance.

Chris Heard isn't tall enough to play CB in my opinion.
I wouldn't put him there normally, but I think he's a decent player to call upon if needed. He may not have the height but he's by far the best jumper in the team.

I wouldn't put him there normally, but I think he's a decent player to call upon if needed. He may not have the height but he's by far the best jumper in the team.

Better than Makoun's?

At 5'8 he is too short to play CB unless it is an absolute emergency in my view, if he comes up against someone like Carroll, Adebayor or Fellaini (there are plenty of others) he would get destroyed no matter how good he is at getting in the air.

He isn't a CB in my view and shouldn't be used as such.

ROTTERDAM1982

I agree 8pints......i think Herd's long term position is as aq centre half.

I really rate Baker though.

I like Baker too. And think they'd make a good partnership with Baker there for the headers and Herd buzing around him.

TrentVilla

You do have a point. I always forget he's 5ft8, which is small for a CB. Me and my Dad have long debates about it :)

he does have a good jump on him and it has been done before

Fabio Cannavaro - 5ft9

Roberto Ayala - 5ft9

Chris Herd - 5ft8

Ivan Cordoba - 5ft7

So it could be done and he'd be in good company if he could do it. But they're big boots (ironically) to fill.

villan-scott

Herd looks to be playing centre back tonight, it seems PL is thinking along the same lines.

I am Paul Lambert :D

Â