Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It's hard to predict anything at the moment really. In the last 6 games we've lost 3 and won 3. The games we won are games you'd probably expect us to win and the games we lost are ones you'd probably expect us to lose.

Your 2nd point really doesn't back up your first.

We really need Fulham to beat QPR tomorrow night to relegate them along with Reading. The last thing we need is two spots opening up. Sunderland will finish below Wigan. We just have to finish above Sunderland.

Our last 6 games, we have won the games we should have won and the lost the ones we were expected to lose. As long as that continues, we will stay up.

Edited by R.Bear

It's hard to predict anything at the moment really. In the last 6 games we've lost 3 and won 3. The games we won are games you'd probably expect us to win and the games we lost are ones you'd probably expect us to lose.

Your 2nd point really doesn't back up your first.

How so? Losing to Liverpool, City and Arsenal and beating Reading, QPR and West Ham doesn't tell us much about how we'll fare in games like Stoke away and Fulham at home.

Looking at things positively, we haven't lost to a team outside the top 7 since January.

That stat just smacks of desperately clutching at straws to be honest.

I never said we'd stay up, just that that's the positive angle. I'm just being balanced.

We're going down awful weekend for us

We're going down because we've had too many awful weekends thanks to our owner.

fixed

Never Lambert's fault is it?

Edited by Mantis

fixed

You can't honestly believe that.

absolutely 110%

Funny how last season and the season before it was McLeish/Houllier's fault and Lerner but now apparently everything is all Lerner's fault.

How so?

You said its hard to predict anything at the moment and then supported that with the last 6 results which you showed were very predictable.

And as I just said, we've been predictable against top 7 and bottom 2 sides but we have a lot of games coming up against teams that are neither particularly good nor particularly bad.

Edited by Mantis

fixed

You can't honestly believe that.

absolutely 110%

So Randy forced him to sign the players he did?

Chose to play with a diamond midfield formation.

Chose to play we 3 central defenders?

Makes decisons during games that seem to cost us points?

Lerner has run the club badly and provided very limited funds in the summer. I'm sure i remember you actually quite pleased with the backing Lambert got. Lambert is the one who has made a complete mess of this season.

He has had to cut his cloth to suit and in terms of what we have had to spend, the amount of players we needed and what we have been able to pay in wages then he has done as well as could be expected.

That's just rubbish excuse making for a very poor job he's done this season.

He did not have to build a whole new defence? He did not have to spend the limited budget he was given the way he did.

He didn't have to build a new defense? really? Cuellar was out of contract, Collins was sold and both I dare say to get their 25k - 35k a week wages off the wage bill. Warnock had in the main been poor for a couple of seasons, Hutton was a liability and both Warnock and Hutton are clearly earning wages the club aren't willing to foot so have no medium to long term future here anyway.

The one experienced guy left, Dunne has been injured all season. Vlaar and Lowton have been decent signings. Bennett has been poor. What we were crying out for in the summer and most definitely in January, when we knew Dunne was highly unlikely to kick a ball again this season, was an experienced proven centre back at this level. We didn't get one and I don't place the blame at Lamberts door for that, I blame the chairman as if one thing the signings we did make in January tell us its that we didn't have a pot to piss in when it came to fees and wages.

Lambert inherited a squad of players that had been on the slide for two seasons. That stayed up by the skin of its teeth last season. We needed numbers and we needed quality in keys areas and for a net spend of 17 mill he couldn't get both and drastically cut the wage bill at the same time. It was impossible. He made some very good signings in Westwood, Lowton, Benteke and Vlaar, Sylla looks decent whilst Al Ahmadi and Bennett look to be lacking although I still think Bennett may come good.

Lamberts biggest **** up was going to 5 at the back and persisting with it for too long. However he is a young, relatively inexperienced manger who was always likely to make mistakes. The main thing is learning from them and if as I suspect he is learning from them it is us that will eventually reap the benefits of that.

This season was always going to be very, very tough. I think we'll survive though and both manager and players will have learned a lot and be stronger for having come through it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I still think we will go down & have never really wavered from that belief.. I just think we are definately one of the worst 3 sides in the division & clearly defensively the worst of all. Our little "run" of 3 wins in six games has merely pulled us level temporarily. Clearly Southampton & Wigan are much better than us so for me it's whether we can manage to stay ahead of QPR & overhaul Sunderland although i think the only team we are currently better than is Reading. 

I am convinced QPR will win their next two games & Sunderland are apparantly about to appoint Paulo DI Canio as their new manager according to SSN yellow bar... So they may pick up too?

Looks bad but ultimately it depends on us winning another 3 or 4 games which for me is our only chance as i fear it will go to a much higher points total than many predict to stay up.

Changed my vote to maybe as couldn't say if we will stay up or go down. We are in the relegation zone only on goal difference and only one point behind Sunderland, who I think will go down with QPR and Reading. QPR will hopefully lose away at Fulham tomo and Sunderland without MON lol will get nothing from their next four games against Chelsea, Newcastle and us away and Everton at home.

Edited by Avflife

I don't think anyone envisaged Southampton and Wigan getting back to back wins which effectively neutralised our wins over Reading & QPR . The damage was done much earlier in the season im afraid

agree, whilst i kinda knew wigan would get two wins, who the **** would have bet on southampton picking up back to back wins over liverpool and chelsea. 

weve put ourself in this situation with results like today, had we not thrown away points in winning, and even drawing positions we would be comftable mid table, what really feels like a kick in the balls was the general attitude the players had, its worrying that even with 10 minutes to go, we still didnt have the courage to pile forward in search of an equiliser.

hopefully fulham can atleast get a draw at home to qpr tomorrow, 

next weekends games

stoke v villa

reading v southampton

chelsea v sunderland

qpr v wigan

if we can pick up a win at stoke (stokes last win was against reading on February 9th), reading and soton draw, qpr draw against wigan and chelsea beat sunderland, things will be looking up again. not confident about stopping up though

Rather see Chelsea beating Sunderland, Southampton beating Reading, QPR and Wigan drawing and us beating Stoke :)

When looking for relegation candidates - I always look at the goals against column - and where the team has been positioned for most us the season.

The other thing with us - is we find it impossible to hold a lead - the games we win we mostly score late on - then hang on....

Our best chance is to go to wigan away not relegated - and just hope the jumble of results rolls in our favour...

We can't afford many more slip ups now. Forget Utd game, just keep the score down in that one. Chelsea at home we need to hope they're on the beach but Chelsea have been our nemesis this year so no doubt they'll be out to finish us off.

So that leaves

Stoke a - physical battle , take a point ? 1

Fulham h - literally a must win 3

Sunderland h again a must win 3

Norwich a I think we need a win here 3

Wigan a hopefully we'll be safe before this game, draw 1

So I reckon 11 more points if we don't slip up anywhere so 41 which should be ok