Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

LOCK THE THREAD!

Ok not quite yet, but that was a huge step up to survival. We must fancy taking something away from Norwich. If we match or better Wigan this weekend we got to be safe.

Even when we're mathematically safe, the thread is still valid to discuss how close we came or what would've happened etc etc. I know you were joking, but I just say it because I know others will call for the same thing.

The win puts us back in the pot... nothing more really.. Norwich is really a must win as we definately need at least 1 more win & possibly even a win & a draw actually because of the bizarre way the teams are lined up. You have to say that Newcastle & Sunderland could both easily pick up a win somewhere... So lets suppose they all win 1, draw 1 & lose 1 which is distinctly possible... & lets say Wigan win their game in hand & then win 1 draw 1 & lose 1 the table would look like this

Sunderland       41 pts

Newcastle          41pts

Wigan               39pts

So for me it's still very dicey indeed & we definately need at least 1 more win but ideally 4pts

Problem is if we don't beat Norwich!... That would leave us with Chelsea up next or a final day fright night situation

So Norwich is a must win

As I said on here over the weekend,  we could all be in a position of not caring about the Wigan game,  in fact looking for a Wigan win to relegate the barcodes (or now the mackems)

A loss at Norwich, and Wigan and Newcastle win, suddenly it's out of our hands and we could require something at Wigan in the last game again.

but requiring something from Wigan would still be in our hands.

Not an ideal scenario, but still in our hands.

Mackems look ****. Fletcher,Sessegnon and Cattermole out for the rest of the season aswell as centre backs such as John O'Shea, Titus Bramble, Carlos Cuellar and Wes Brown as their defence. With the likes of Goaless scorers Conor Wickham and Danny Graham up front.  Can't see them doing well after a terrible result yesterday. 

West Brom may get a result against Wigan at the weekend. I didn't expect them to be motivated against Southampton but they won easily.

I won't be able to relax until we're mathematically safe. 

thing is Wigan have by all accounts played really well in their last 3 games ..City , West ham and Spurs

and yet only come away with 1 point

they must be wondering what they have to do to win

don't they have to play a cup final , then play on the Tuesday and then play us  .. will be tough for them

3,4,3,5. That's the gap in days between Wigan's remaining 5 fixtures. The beauty of it is that their easiest remaining fixture; home to Swansea; is 4 days before the cup final so the players might be looking not to get injured, potentially making an easy win slightly less so. They then visit the Emirates 3 days afterwards. Basically if the Baggies can win on Saturday then I think Wigan are in all likelyhood doomed.

• Like 1

3,4,3,5. That's the gap in days between Wigan's remaining 5 fixtures. The beauty of it is that their easiest remaining fixture; home to Swansea; is 4 days before the cup final so the players might be looking not to get injured, potentially making an easy win slightly less so. They then visit the Emirates 3 days afterwards. Basically if the Baggies can win on Saturday then I think Wigan are in all likelyhood doomed.

Basically - they must win there next two games - hopefully that creates a no margin for error atmosphere  ....didn't they loose another player at the weekend ?

Basically - they must win there next two games - hopefully that creates a no margin for error atmosphere

That's it in a nutshell. And if we can beat Norwich then it all becomes very fun for Newcastle, Sunderland and ... Norwich.

Basically - they must win there next two games - hopefully that creates a no margin for error atmosphere  ....didn't they loose another player at the weekend ?

Yeah Maynor Figueroa got injured for the rest of the season.

As for Wigan and their cup final, I don't think they are going to spare anyone because of that. Winning against Man City is nearly impossible and they would much rather stay up. I think they will go all in against Swansea and then hope for a miracle against City.

As for Wigan and their cup final, I don't think they are going to spare anyone because of that. Winning against Man City is nearly impossible and they would much rather stay up. I think they will go all in against Swansea and then hope for a miracle against City.

That all makes sense but it ignores the fact that the individual players will want to be available for the final, regardless of whether they think they can win or not. They will want their day out which means that on some small level they won't be up for a physical game against Swansea which could take away from their effectiveness on the day.

as Gary Neville said. how many of them will get to play a cup final again or play at Wembley again. Players like Boyce, Caldwell, Maloney will probably never get a chance to play there again

That all makes sense but it ignores the fact that the individual players will want to be available for the final, regardless of whether they think they can win or not. They will want their day out which means that on some small level they won't be up for a physical game against Swansea which could take away from their effectiveness on the day.

Exactly this, I am sure there are players there who will give it their all for the fixtures - no matter what, but there are also those who want a cup final appearance.

Its in our own hands. Beat Norwich (which is do-able) and we're safe.

We're due a clean sheet, I know it doesnt work out like that, but I sense one is coming. We're full of goals so another 3 points from our last 3 games in on the cards. 

I think 39/40 points will be safe this season. 

Massive game for us this weekend. Lose, then its going to come down to the last game of the season (that's unless Wigan totally mess up their remaining fixtures)

Exactly this, I am sure there are players there who will give it their all for the fixtures - no matter what, but there are also those who want a cup final appearance.

I agree. You have to face facts here.

Relegation hits the fans more than it does the players. At the end of the day, its a job for most players with some just moving onto another club if Wigan get relegated

I think the Wigan players will be focussing on the cup final day, and staying fit for it. I wished they were up against a lesser team so that expectations would be higher

Wigan are one of those teams who are due a relegation, if it doesnt happen this year then it will be on the cards for the following one. As for winning a FA cup, that's once in a life time experience for clubs such as Wigan. 

I'm glad they have the FA Cup scheduled right in the middle of their relegation fight, I'd rather it be there then us tbh, and I hope it affects them.. greatly! lol

I agree. You have to face facts here.

Relegation hits the fans more than it does the players. At the end of the day, its a job for most players with some just moving onto another club if Wigan get relegated

I think the Wigan players will be focussing on the cup final day, and staying fit for it. I wished they were up against a lesser team so that expectations would be higher

Wigan are one of those teams who are due a relegation, if it doesnt happen this year then it will be on the cards for the following one. As for winning a FA cup, that's once in a life time experience for clubs such as Wigan. 

I'm glad they have the FA Cup scheduled right in the middle of their relegation fight, I'd rather it be there then us tbh, and I hope it affects them.. greatly! lol

No offense at all, but you are not a former player are you? I am sure the players dread relegation just as much as the fans as it's the ultimate example of failure. Sure they want to play at Wembley, but they also know that winning against Man City is very unlikely. Besides, the manager picks the team and he too would like to stay in the Prem for his own record. Saying that, Martinez is bound to move soon and a relegation might just be the perfect escape - so here's to hoping :)

Basically - they must win there next two games - hopefully that creates a no margin for error atmosphere

That's it in a nutshell. And if we can beat Norwich then it all becomes very fun for Newcastle, Sunderland and ... Norwich.

That is very interesting. It's almost in Norwich's interest to either win or lose, as either them or us having 3 points essentially relegates Wigan.

Hmm.