Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

pretty daming numbers really. very depressing.

maybe i'm in denial then? because i still want to give lambert time and i still believe we will in the long term be better off with him than without him. it's massively frustrating watching us as we do show signs of playing infinitely better football than anything we saw under AM but the results just don't bear this out. 

i mean take the last league game. started off horrendous, i thought we would get panned massively. then all of a sudden we played calm controlling footy and made more chances than them at their place for half an hour. so i thought, hang on we might just be able to get a point. then we get level second half and i thought, noooo, we could win here. then they all shat themselves and defended the 18 yard line for 20 mins and once they scored it seemed inevitable.

all in 90 minutes, if you're a pessimist you look at the result, the first 10 minutes and the last 20 minutes and you say "we're shit and are going down", an optimist looks at all the good stuff in the middle and thinks on our day we'll beat anyone! (well a deranged optimist might). i'm somewhere in the mniddle now and i have no idea what to think anymore. really but as i said there's something about the lambert and villa combination that i think will turn up the goods eventually...

• Like 1

Ive see enough in last few weeks to think we will stay up but wont be comfortable

And then, to quote an unamed dude that wears speckies "We go again".

Another heart-breaking season of struggle and Lerner feeling vindicated that we can continue to survive with little investment.

Great :angry:

There is no doubt that if we keep up our current form we will go down. We just have to hope there is a sudden upturn in form that is not matched by Wigan. I am pretty resigned to going down though and have been for quite a while now.

what frustrates me is that we don't seem to fear any team at the moment for 70 minutes and then turn into terror-stricken kids for the last 20.... you could just see the panic spread across the team in the last 15 against arsenal - suddenly everyone's just looking to hoof it away anywhere as fast as they can.... that is where we need a couple of wise heads just to calm everyone down and say, you know what lads, we're doing ok here, lets just keep going and we'll be fine....

if we could get that message through, we'll be fine...

UTV

The problem lies with Lambert continually subbing the one player who is composed, Westwood around 70 minutes and replacing him with a winger. The amount of points we've lost when Westwood left the pitch is depressing. Its in those last 15-20 minutes where we need ball keepers and composed players and Westwood is good at that. 

its a shite season and you can pick out any stats you want,  they will all tell you it is a shite season

On Lambert we need him more than he needs us.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that if we keep up our current form we will go down. We just have to hope there is a sudden upturn in form that is not matched by Wigan. I am pretty resigned to going down though and have been for quite a while now.

Same for me.

Thing is, i was convinced we would go down this season since the end of the last one. The writing has been on the wall for that long, and its a disgrace that this has been allowed to transpire.

• Like 1

its a shite season and you can pick out any stats you want,  they will all tell you it is a shite season

On Lambert we need him more than he needs us.

You're probably right, but let's not start thinking that we need him because he's some kind of good manager who all the top clubs will be after at some point in the future.

We certainly thought that was the case when he was coming to us. Couldn't imagine things getting this **** up then.

I still like him. My hopes for him are severely tempered by our defensive woes this season - and will it be any better a division lower ? ........or I am I just scared who Randy\Faulkner will hire next ?

I like a good stat me. 

Lets look at Lamberts LEAGUE record with us and how that compares to predecessors and more importantly the relegated teams over the past 5 years: 

Paul Lambert

Played 27

Won 5

Drew 9

Lost 13

Points per game = 0.89

To put that in context the league record of his predecessors:

Mcleish     1.00 ppg

Houllier     1.24 ppg

MON         1.49 ppg

www.tinyurl.com/avfcpremcomparison

As you can see the decline has been shocking. That only started what is the point of my article. It made me think;

"how many points per game did the relegated teams get last year?"

So I looked it up and the 4 seasons before that to make it thorough. What I found makes the current situation even more scary.

In 4 of the past 5 years our current form would have relegated us.

The Full tables can be seen at: www.tinyurl.com/avfcform

But with our current ppg of 0.89 and Goal Difference. These are the teams that would have stayed above us on form over a season:

11/12

Bolton           36pts 0.95ppg

10/11

Blackpool      39pts 1.03ppg

Small heath   39pts 1.03ppg

08/09

Newcastle     34pts 0.89ppg (Goal diff 7 better than ours)

07/08

Reading         36pts 0.95ppg

Small Heath   35pts 0.93ppg

If this form continues, the only thing I can see is Relegation.

Derby 07/08 - 11 points.

WOW. That must have been grim having a season ticket there that year.

This pretty much sums up the position for me. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Anyone who isn't mentally prepared for relegation is deluding themselves - it's a clear possibility.

On the other hand we all hope that we will get enough luck/inspiration/improved form and fight to stay up, and that could happen.But we do now rely on the form of our rival relegation candidates as well as our own.

Was watching SSN good morning thing earlier... Said it all when they were previewing the weekends fixtures & the pundit was forecasting results. He went through them all carefully giving his reasons as to who would win & why......Then they lastly came to Villa v Man City... Both laughed & simply said ...."erm City" ... They are literally laughing at this club.

Not being mean DotS - but I personally could not give a flying **** what other people think or do in relation to AVFC. If we stay up they can all suck my fat mother-trucking testicles the bunch of tossers.

People can laugh all they want at us but as soon as something happens to their team, I am sure we will laugh a lot bloody harder.

Edited by Tayls

This pretty much sums up the position for me. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Anyone who isn't mentally prepared for relegation is deluding themselves - it's a clear possibility.

On the other hand we all hope that we will get enough luck/inspiration/improved form and fight to stay up, and that could happen.But we do now rely on the form of our rival relegation candidates as well as our own.

This is absolutely where I am and where I have been since around the middle of January when it became obvious Lerner was tieing Lamberts hands behind his back.

Not being mean DotS - but I personally could not give a flying **** what other people think or do in relation to AVFC. If we stay up they can all suck my fat mother-trucking testicles the bunch of tossers.

People can laugh all they want at us but as soon as something happens to their team. I am sure we will laugh a lot bloody harder.

also a perfectly valid position to be in