Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

There is no good to being relegated, none what so ever. Anyone that thinks that way is either drunk, high or already given up.

I for one am very proud of the "cack" fact that we are premier league and have been since day one.

It's all we have left to hang onto, this club would be crippled by relegation.

Edited by villan_007

For example if Wigan stayed up and we went down, because of the new tv deal we could potentially see a scenario where even after getting promoted back up to the prem we'd struggle to financially compete with a team like Wigan.

I really dread to think what state we could be in if we get relegated. It really could take years to fix.

Its all guess work though, nobody really knows what will happen if we go down.

We will have less money thats obvious, but the next apocalypse talk is a tad over the top.

But the money increase this year is absolutely ridiculous. Going down this season would be awful.

im not being funny but as a fan..if villa stay up avfc get 25m..do you thing our ST will be cheaper? not a chance!

does it mean avfc will sign better players? no .. because every team will get 25m,

If we went down, I would be interested to understand if the tickets would be the same price, cheaper or more expensive... After all, more games to play. And Friday nights too :-(

Based on what? Like others have said how many clubs really do come back stronger?

Look at the scum last night. Only 6,500 home fans turning up.

Now it's unlikely we'll drop that low but I'm struggling to see how getting relegated is not going to damage us long term.

As i said we'll have less money, but the apocalypse that some are trying to paint is way over the top.

It's not just that it's that the teams that we are in a relegation battle now eg Wigan, Southampton, would have more money to our less money, thus creating a wider gap, making the Premiership some what of a closed shop.

If we go down, we'll do a Sheffield United/Wednesday...it's starting to take on a lot of similarities. Mark my words, Villa will not bounce back straight away if it does happen, and, being a club that are "too big to fail", we will then do just that. That increase in revenue vs parachute payments will cause a big rift between the top of the football league and the Prem, and we are sleepwalking into the trapdoor. Scary, scary times.

If we go down, we'll do a Sheffield United/Wednesday...it's starting to take on a lot of similarities. Mark my words, Villa will not bounce back straight away if it does happen, and, being a club that are "too big to fail", we will then do just that. That increase in revenue vs parachute payments will cause a big rift between the top of the football league and the Prem, and we are sleepwalking into the trapdoor. Scary, scary times.

As i said we'll have less money, but the apocalypse that some are trying to paint is way over the top.

To all those who go on about Premiership clubs getting all that money, which we wouldn't if relegated, don't seem to consider what those clubs are going to do with the money. Wigan? Well their financial situation isn't fantastic as they're propped up by the continued input from DW. If the club gets more income the only thing that happens is that DW doesn't need to prop the club up quite so much, not that they spend more. That would only happen if DW continued to fund their losses, and I'm going to hazard a guess that he'd actually prefer the club to be sustainable than increase spending to match income.

I am sure the attempts to introduce FFP are a way of the league saying "DO NOT SPEND MORE" and that this "windfall" of TV money should in fact be used to create a buffer for clubs in the future, not frittered away on what will inevitably turn out to be a grossly overpriced transfer market as every club in Europe and beyond suddenly doubles the prices it demands for transfers to England.

I'm not saying I WANT relegation, but if it happens I wouldn't dwell on it, take it personally, etc etc. I guess however that being away from the area I don't get subjected to any ribbing and piss-taking that Midlands based fans would inevitably be subjected to by workmates and friends. Perhaps in some instances, it's the fear of having the mick taken out of them for supporting Villa that's creating this fear of relegation in the first place.

It would help if we didn't bother singing songs about the bluenoses, but I seem to be in a minority on that front. Sadly.

I love your optimism and I love your avatar even more...

That said, (and this is a question for the thread, and not aimed at you) since the Premier League was formed, who has ever benefitted from getting relegated from it? Who has ever come back stronger as a result of getting relegated?

Oldham? Forest? Bradford? Swindon? Leicester? Derby? Blues? QPR? Ipswich? Southampton (not really)? Norwich (not really)?

Portsmouth (no way)? Coventry? Jesus, they don't even own a football stadium any more and face the prospect of travelling to Hinckley United to play their games.

Leeds? Nope... Sunderland? Nope... Newcastle? Maybe last year... but nope...

Manchester City... top trump hmmm? But look how far they slipped first, and then what happened. They weren't brilliant when they first came back up, and have got where they are now with a bottomless pit of money the likes of which we can only dream of (again). Then there are the Fifa Fair Play rules that are intent on ensuring that a Man City never happens again to keep Europe's elite as far away from everyone else as possible. From what I see, owners of a football club can't really have any realistic intent to actually make money... it's not a means to grow money is it?

West Brom - to be fair, they are doing really well. But, I am sure their bubble will burst and will become a yo-yo again. They don't have the money to keep that up and I argue vehemently that they don't have the fanbase to sustain it either. (BTW - their secretary goes to watch Nuneaton Borough when Baggies are not fixture clashing - I have no ITK about Dorrens sadly).

West Ham - better this term up to now, but perenniel yo-yos. And so they will continue in the shadow of more promising Cockney Fayre.

Relegation will set this club back at least a decade. The likes of Stoke and Swansea have been building for years in the lower leagues - **** me, I have even seen Nuneaton Borough knock both these sides out of the FA Cup before Round 3 within the last 19 years.

This is by far the worst season ever to get relegated from the Premier League. If nothing else, to safeguard our reputation of one of the dwindling clubs never to have been relegated from the Premier League since it's inception.

Right now, the club is dying on it's arse.

I can't read your posts because the italics hurt my eyes.

Just sayin. I'd like to be able to.

• Like 1