Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

so will people now admit that 4-4-2 with wingers is better than 4-3-3 with no width? lol

we're playing with 3/5 at the back at moment. no system is inherently better than another, you have to make a system work with the players you have.

we are sh it, how have we got into this mess and become relegation candidates, we shouldnt even be talking about relegation, we should be challenging for europe and buying better players than bowery or bennett, shocking

the last two years passed you by or something?

I think the fact that we played Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City in a row has a lot to do with why we aren't higher up the table to be honest. If those games were more evenly spread out I think we would be higher.

We aren't good enough at the moment, you are right, but my point is that I think if we can get through this season we will be in a position where we will be good enough and can start expecting to pick up points against lower half teams again in the not to distant future. At the moment we just can't expect to turn up and beat anyone in this league.

I'm looking at a bigger picture where our young team continues to grow together and improve through good management and smart additions in the transfer market. You seem to be looking at one where if we aren't good enough now we never will be.

This season was always going to be difficult, its a horrible term, but this truly is the epitome of a transitional season which are always full of highs and lows.

We've had one high in the season(cup win against City) and the rest have been lows. Not exactly something which would breed confidence.

It's all very nice looking to the future. We had the same with O'Neill's much lauded 'five year plan.' We are now as you say on another rebuilding programme and I feel these continual rebuilds are really being used as an excuse for our lack of success. I've actually been guilty of that myself while being questioned by a mate who was asking what is happening with our club? But we are rebuilding I said and the conversation was then changed to something else.

We have pigeon holed our lean years of success into excuses rather than being open and honest enough to say we've spent loads and tried different managerial philosophies but they just haven't worked due to being the wrong choice of manager and the wrong choice of player.

With Lambert he has got the balance wrong in his transfer philosophy. This season we needed stability, we have got instability and a position in the bottom three to boot so you'll forgive me if I don't look to the future yet again. I want stability, performances and a team to be proud of and not what we have at the moment, fans hoodwinked into using more excuses to hide the fact that we are again, simply not good enough!

• Like 1

With the run Stoke are on I for one thought we would loose, the fact we didn't and got a point shows improvement, also Stoke never had 1 shot on target the whole game, this shows we are playing pretty defensive minded and may be the reason for our lack of goals, pretty sure the goals will come soon when PL gets the balance right. We have a lot of sideways passing and back passing that goes no where but on the other hand is getting the young players to be comfortable on the ball. I think the problems I have seen more recently is there seems to be little movement ahead of the player with the ball, this can be put right and is probably the next thing PL will look at.

We've had one high in the season(cup win against City) and the rest have been lows. Not exactly something which would breed confidence.

It's all very nice looking to the future. We had the same with O'Neill's much lauded 'five year plan.' We are now as you say on another rebuilding programme and I feel these continual rebuilds are really being used as an excuse for our lack of success. I've actually been guilty of that myself while being questioned by a mate who was asking what is happening with our club? But we are rebuilding I said and the conversation was then changed to something else.

We have pigeon holed our lean years of success into excuses rather than being open and honest enough to say we've spent loads and tried different managerial philosophies but they just haven't worked due to being the wrong choice of manager and the wrong choice of player.

With Lambert he has got the balance wrong in his transfer philosophy. This season we needed stability, we have got instability and a position in the bottom three to boot so you'll forgive me if I don't look to the future yet again. I want stability, performances and a team to be proud of and not what we have at the moment, fans hoodwinked into using more excuses to hide the fact that we are again, simply not good enough!

Absolute nail on head Morpheus. Transition is a word I no longer recognise. All clubs are in bloody transition so it means very little.

dunno what 10-12 years ago has got to do with our squad now? some villa fans moan about anything and everything.

playing 3 at the back doesn't necessarily mean defensive either, look at napoli over the last few years, they play a 3-4-3 that is really really good to watch and they win quite a lot. it's a good system if you've got the players for it.

With the run Stoke are on I for one thought we would loose, the fact we didn't and got a point shows improvement, also Stoke never had 1 shot on target the whole game, this shows we are playing pretty defensive minded and may be the reason for our lack of goals, pretty sure the goals will come soon when PL gets the balance right. We have a lot of sideways passing and back passing that goes no where but on the other hand is getting the young players to be comfortable on the ball. I think the problems I have seen more recently is there seems to be little movement ahead of the player with the ball, this can be put right and is probably the next thing PL will look at.

Apart from a few moments our attack has looked poor since the forest pre season game.

It's not going to click with our current squad. It needs to be improved in January.

"We've had one high in the season(cup win against City) and the rest have been lows. Not exactly something which would breed confidence." Morpheus

Sorry I forgot that beating Swansea, Sunderland and Reading made me feel low.

I also felt really low when we beat Swindon in the cup.

I was almost suicidal after we got a hard earned draw away at Newcastle.

What a stupid thing to say.

Apart from a few moments our attack has looked poor since the forest pre season game.

It's not going to click with our current squad. It needs to be improved in January.

Agree with this, as I said the front players are pretty static, Bringing bent in will not help either as he is also static,

I just look at the other teams around us and they always seem to have better movement, Even WBA, it is the movement of there players that has made the difference to them as they pull the opposition defences out of position creating space, we just seem tom make it easy for them.

I think the fact that you deem a win at Man City as the only high this season sums up your attitude towards football and Aston Villa. You are only interested in taking the biggest scalps and gaining the highest accolades and everything else is deemed unacceptable. It just shows how little patience you have and how unwilling you are to look at the bigger picture.

The team are trying to play some good passing football. However, we look really poor as an attacking force as the game against Stoke became the 6th PL game out of 16 in which we have failed to score. When you fail to score in over a third of your games then it becomes very difficult indeed.

Being ultra positive and assuming we get draws at Anfield and Stamford Bridge and a win at home to Spurs in our next 3 league games that still only gives us 20 points with half the season gone.

Lambert will have to work very smartly in the January transfer window if we are not to be looking at a relegation abyss come May when 2 of our last 3 games are away from home and our only home game is against Chelsea.

Fact is after the midweek Sunderland - Reading game we will more than likely be out of the bottom 3 by virtue of goal difference assuming Sundlerland win which is most likely.

Not a great place to be with the tricky fixtures coming up. We did need a few more points from the last 3 but im pleased we remained unbeaten. There are signs of improvement, we're probably doing all we can with the poor squad we have at the moment. January window is going to be the most important in memory, have to go and get something next week at Anfield, which im hopeful of a surprise. Hopefully be going there with a semi-final place booked too

You can see us being back in the R zone come Xmas day unless we can pull a rabbit out of the hat at either Anfield or Stamford Bridge, or against a really decent Spurs side.

This will make the Turkey really hard to swallow this year.