Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Which is a completely pointless task and proves nothing.

Well, it's not COMPLETELY pointless, even though it is obviously statistically a bit flaky (for example, if you had extrapolated from McLeish's first 12 games last season, you'd have come up with a final total of 47-8 points).

But it does highlight the massive task facing Lambert this season after such a poor start. We've got to find at least 11-12 points above our current form even to reach the 40 or so points usually regarded as necessary for safety.

It give an indication of just how much we need to improve to stay up this season. To get say, 40 points, we need 31 points from 26 games which is a 60% improvement on current form.

It's hideously simplistic though - we won't be playing any of the games we've played again under the same circumstances (location, injuries, unquantifiable factors such as 'morale' etc) and there are tons of factors that affect the outcome of a football match. Pointless.

Over our last 38 PL games, how many points have we picked up ? Must be below 25 points

And what relevance does the first 26 games of your 38 game argument have **** all to do with this season and Paul Lamberts reign?

I think what is important is Lamberts spell in charge and the here and the now not what happened in yester year under a different manager and different squad of players!

If we extrapolate Lambert's start to the rest of the season over the remaining games, we'll finish on 28 or 29 points. But don't worry, we're steadily improving apparently.

I don't know how you come to them concluding numbers but there we go.

Everyone can see we are improving it just appears to be you and a few others that are failing to grasp it or refusing to grasp it, delete as applicable.

It give an indication of just how much we need to improve to stay up this season. To get say, 40 points, we need 31 points from 26 games which is a 60% improvement on current form.

You mean we still have 26 games to get that percentage then?

.. And here was me thinking the season was over after 12 games and we had been relegated! :lol:

If we extrapolate Lambert's start to the rest of the season over the remaining games, we'll finish on 28 or 29 points. But don't worry, we're steadily improving apparently.

This time last year we had 15 points sitting relatively pretty in 8th. Now, if we extrapolated McLeish's start onto the rest of the season, we would have finished on 48-50 points. Our performances were steadily (more like steeply) declining. And I don't need to explain what happened during the course of the season. This is why some of us are relatively optimistic that Lambert can turn this around. If performances improve, in time results will as well.

Some more pointless figures. We are scoring at the rate of 0.8 goals per league game and conceding at the rate of 1.8 per game. Extrapolate that over a season and round the figures and we will finish with 30 goals for and 68 against. Goal difference minus 38. However factor in variables such as injuries, refereeing balls ups, new signings loss or improvement in the form of opposition teams, the state of the Footsie and atmospheric pressure and it could all be different.

If you extrapolate our start last year we finished with 52 points in 8th place. Remind me again how that worked out?

Extrapolating is kind of pointless.

If we do that, everyone will finish where they are now in the table, i.e. we'll be relegated.

You don't need to calculate anything, just look at the table and we can see we need to improve. Everyone knows that.

As much as I think our defence could grow together and get better, at the moment it is so weak that unless we get some experience in there we will go down. There is not the time to carry players like Bennet, Stevens and even Clark. We can't accept that every game one of them will f*ck up.

I realise it isn't the only problem we have but other than a defensive midfielder who can tackle - it is definitely our main priority.

If we are going to be so useless at keeping possession and play hoof ball then we need to play three in central defence, maybe sacrifice a midfielder and play Dunne - let Vlaar or Clark play the ball out. I know people don't like Dunne but we need experience.

I wouldn't play any of the left backs we have if i had the choice.

Extrapolation is just looking at trends. It's all we've got to work with.

Bit like being in the relegation zone at Xmas. Virtually no team ever escapes that.

So as a landmark that will be telling.

I do back them, by attending and spending money with them. Doesn't mean I have to be happy with the half arsed crock of shite they're serving up.

Then you of all people should realise the club is in transition.

We have just recovered from the last bout of quick fix paradise football that left us in a 'crock of shite' situation that has just taken over 2 years to clean up.

We are now building something new here and as many negatives it throws up it is always going to be a long slow, but carefully done process that will reap the rewards if given time, patience and support.

• Like 1

We are now building something new here and as many negatives it throws up it is always going to be a long slow, but carefully done process that will reap the rewards if given time, patience and support.

I'm all for being optimistic, but you are extrapolating here based upon nothing but hope. How can you possibly know that this particular approach is the one which will allow us to reap any sort of reward? There is no evidence of that currently. What if the long term planning gets us relegated in the short term? Is it still the correct approach? To me it seems that all we are attempting to build is a team that can cling to Premier League survival on the lowest possible wages, and it's a big gamble.

To me it seems that all we are attempting to build is a team that can cling to Premier League survival on the lowest possible wages, and it's a big gamble.

That's what it is. Everyone is just assuming Lerner is planning for more right now. Premier league survival and cutting costs seems to be the only target Lerner has had since MoN left.

This thread is a little worrying, not because we might actually get relegated.

But that some people might actually have a breakdown if it does happen!

Its almost as if football outside the premier league doesn't exist, that the hundreds of clubs and thousands of fans are not there and if they do they're just topping themselves daily!