Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Jesus. About three weeks ago there were people on this thread saying that there's no chance we'll go down, now there are posters stating that this is the lowest point Villa have sunk in 20 years?! Get a grip!

We were poor today, but regardless of that we were still in front before the sending off and if we had hung on (a reasonable chance we would have), this thread would again be virtually ignored or disregarded tonight because people would just be satisfied with the three points. People may argue "but we didn't win" - but what can you do about a silly sending off? If Joe Bennett had used his brain, believe it or not, the odds are that we would have won!

It does look bleak, but to revert back to all of this knee-jerk negativity is exactly what has put us in this mess in the first place. The first sign of a struggle and collectively us Villa fans manage to create this horrible atmosphere around the club which helps absolutely nothing. It has happened to three of the last four managers: when things haven't been going well, Villa fans make it ten times worse by jumping on backs and making it near-impossible to turn things around. Please prevent this from happening this season, because if it does, we will actually go down!

• Like 2

Jesus. About three weeks ago there were people on this thread saying that there's no chance we'll go down, now there are posters stating that this is the lowest point Villa have sunk in 20 years?! Get a grip!

We were poor today, but regardless of that we were still in front before the sending off and if we had hung on (a reasonable chance we would have), this thread would again be virtually ignored or disregarded tonight because people would just be satisfied with the three points. People may argue "but we didn't win" - but what can you do about a silly sending off? If Joe Bennett had used his brain, believe it or not, the odds are that we would have won!

It does look bleak, but to revert back to all of this knee-jerk negativity is exactly what has put us in this mess in the first place. The first sign of a struggle and collectively us Villa fans manage to create this horrible atmosphere around the club which helps absolutely nothing. It has happened to three of the last four managers: when things haven't been going well, Villa fans make it ten times worse by jumping on backs and making it near-impossible to turn things around. Please prevent this from happening this season, because if it does, we will actually go down!

Hooray for common sense.

How is it common sense exactly, this is our worst start in nearly 50 years, and it isn't even like we're not getting the rub of the green. We've been rubbish, Lambert has mostly bought a right load of old shite, and we're playing badly and getting the results that that bad play merits.

• Like 1

How is it common sense exactly, this is our worst start in nearly 50 years, and it isn't even like we're not getting the rub of the green. We've been rubbish, Lambert has mostly bought a right load of old shite, and we're playing badly and getting the results that that bad play merits.

Because it's not the typical run of the mill kneejerk ultra-negative VT response.
  • Like 1

But we hear this sort of thing every year don't we? Remember when Houllier lost 0-1 at home to Sunderland to a screamer in the 80th minute? We had ten men then too, but the sheer over-reaction at Villa Park and vitriol directed at Houllier made me want to curl up into the ground and die of embarrassment. It was just ridiculous. If Heskey hadn't missed a sitter and then got sent off how different it would have been... I'd argue that the same applies to McLeish to an extent because, as much as he wasn't the right man for the job, 99% of his own fans hurling abuse at him every week didn't exactly help matters did it? I'd even suggest that with a bit more rationality from fans over the past few seasons this thread maybe wouldn't even exist - who knows?

All I'm saying is that Villa fans have this terrible habit of making issues into much much bigger issues, and this does not help. This pattern seems to be recurring annually at the moment and I think we all know it hasn't helped us make a lot of progress - I really don't want the same to happen this year as well! Please support and understand that football, as much as Sky and the rags that are in its pocket would love us to believe, is not based on short-termism, it is based on patience and in order to be eventually successful mistakes will be made.

To be honest, we probably would not even be having this conversation if Joe Bennett hadn't have been so reckless which makes these sort of comments all the more ridiculous. I understand people who are concerned, but when the "this is the worst I've ever seen Villa" merchants start creeping in it just makes me wonder how mindless some people can get when a month ago Swansea was the supposed turning point of a new dawn. Let the manager, who sees the players every day and has played and managed in professional football for over two decades, get on with his job and support him for it. He has proven he is competent at his job everywhere he has been, let him display this competence at Villa or this club will just implode into the Championship and quite possibly financial ruin.

• Like 1

1 win in 19 games doesn't worry you? How about our worst start for 50 years?

Did the global economy bounce back immediately from Black Tuesday or did it take a little while? Should Lambert be blamed for the last ten games of McLeish's reign which the latter was abused throughout each one of them? We'll get better if people don't get in the way and knock confidence by booing the manager and players for a result none of them could do much to alter.

• Like 1

I haven't committed either way on whether or not this club could go down but I can say this: I find scrapping for survival with cheap, unproven youngsters with potential more exciting than running sixth three consecutive seasons.

Did the global economy bounce back immediately from Black Tuesday or did it take a little while? Should Lambert be blamed for the last ten games of McLeish's reign which the latter was abused throughout each one of them? We'll get better if people don't get in the way and knock confidence by booing the manager and players for a result none of them could do much to alter.

And when we are 10 points adrift come Jan, I am guessing somebody else is to blame for that too?

I'm prepared to give Lambert time but I get the impression his stubborn streak will take us down. This diamond formation is killing us but I doubt he will change it. Championship here we come. Leeds / Millwall / Small Heath / Cardiff Urreggghhhhhh

Unless Randy's allows Lambert to buy two experienced midfielders (read £20m to £25m, and possibly be Bents departure) in the January window we will be relying on luck to avoid relegation. We have nothing on the field or the bench who can boss a midfield and/or create.

We were poor yesterday, of course not helped by the red card but IMHO that provides a smoke screen to more serious problems. We could have been on the end of a four or five goal beating without Guzan's intervention (the best player in the team at the moment), and while we are not clicking we desperately need to be putting in battling, fortress performances at home, but really need to be picking up 3 points against the Norwich's of this world.

I have a bad feeling about this season, and fear Savage is on the money even if it pains me to say it.

On he plus side Lamberts Benteke call seemed to be the right one, and with a bit more confidence he could kick-on, but I fear it may mean the departure of Bent.

I think you are missing the point here.

We were not unlucky and just not getting the rub of the green or whatever. Bennett got sent off because he is a young inexperienced fullback learning his profession in our squad. Herd should have had a second yellow as well about 70mins in. It was a deliberate decision by the manager to go with inexperienced youth players and we are seeing the results of that policy on the pitch.

We will have plenty more results like that this season and will be in a relegation battle through to Christmas. Confidence drains from young players much quicker than from experienced professionals so I suspect they will struggle to play with their heads up in the second half of the season as well.

It's always a bit of a lottery who goes down but we will be in the mix for sure.

Bottom three by Christmas - maybe bottom even - bottom team at christmas has only ever survived once. I wonder if people are more disappointed this season than the previous two because they had much higher hopes this season? That's certainly it with me , I mean Houllier and then McLeish YUK at least with Lambo I was full of hope in August that this season would see us back in our supposedly rightful place in top half but it's certainly not working out that way. I think with the previous two managers, we were so disillusioned at their appointments anyway that we expected nothing more. ? I am increasingly disillusioned with Villa, Randy, and the Premier League in general.