Jermaine Defoe 2012 thread

CI

Always liked Defoe, always will. A very explosive striker, quick one the turn and is more than capable of not only clinical finishes but ones from outside the box too ( this opinion isnt based just on his goal midweek.. ). Him and Bent wouldnt neccasirly have to work ridiculously well together to set each other up although i feel they are capable of doing so, I think thats where Mr.Ireland comes into play :)

Right price and he would be a fantastic addition.

Spurs will have to buy, bofore they sell Defoe. And I cant see them splashing the Modric money on anything different than a Modric replacement.

Would've liked him at Villa, but don't think it will happen.

Spurs have no forwards apart from him, so even if they did sign like two, would they still be willing to get rid?

Personally I think at the right price he could be decent. But I do find him to be a limited player, plus 30 this year so has no re-sale value. I think we need something different, i.e. someone that can actually play with Bent. Him and Bent would be too similar.

Defoe has been a proven goalscorer at Premier League level for the last 10 years. Even last season when he was in and out of the team he still scored 17 goals overall. Some would argue that he is a better finisher than Bent too!

I'd definitely have Defoe here. He's 30 soon which is not ideal but he'd still be a great signing. I think Defoe and Bent could play together. They are different players. Bent is a penalty box poacher, Defoe is too but his overall game is more well rounded than Bent. Defoe can drop deep to recieve the ball and run forward with it, beating one or two players in the process. Dropping deep to recieve the ball isn't really Bent's thing. Defoe could be the link between Bent and the midfield. I reckon it would work.

He's a goalscorer but too similar to Bent, we need a different type of striker.

Exactly, we need a compliment for bent. Either a good target man or a creative type that can play off of him.

Defoe is too similar in the sense that he wants to play off the last man, be the main number 9 and is very, very selfish in front of goal.

A Defoe and Bent partnership didn't seem to work very well at Spurs a few seasons ago...