Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

Not made any bid or likely to :!:

thank god, although the last time I quoted you it was a similar response to you stating we would NOT sign Richard Dunne :P

That was after MON got shafted by the Distin agent .

Not doubting you, I just dont want to jinx anything :)

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank god, although the last time I quoted you it was a similar response to you stating we would NOT sign Richard Dunne :P

Is that because of what Lambert said tonight?

Is that because of what Lambert said tonight?

I have no idea what Lambert said tonight, all I am saying is last time I replied to Mysteryman, It was in response to the fact that he was stating that we were definitely not signing Richard Dunne, which made me very happy because he is **** shit. Now he is stating that we are not singing Steven Fletcher (who is **** shit) and I hope it wont end up with the same ending.

News all over Twitter saying Fletcher has gone to Sunderland for £14 million. Sky Sports and BBC however saying that Wolves have turned down a third bid and value him at £15M. Madness considering Podolski cost £9.1M :shock:

News all over Twitter saying Fletcher has gone to Sunderland for £14 million. Sky Sports and BBC however saying that Wolves have turned down a third bid and value him at £15M. Madness considering Podolski cost £9.1M :shock:

He is a full scottish international and he did score at least ten goals last season

He is a full scottish international and he did score at least ten goals last season

Podolski is a full German international and scored 18 goals last season in a team that got relegated just like Fletcher.

Granted its a different league but the Bundesliga is still one of the best in the world.

Whilst I'm sure we're not in for Fletcher, and I agree that the prices quoted are very high, I do wish people would realise that the cost of a transfer goes beyond just the fee quoted.

Firstly, were we even to be able to attract the likes of a Podolski in the first place, his salary is going to be £80k + per week at least. I imagine Fletcher to be on around £25k at Wolves, so even if he doubled his money he'd be on £50k.

Then there's the resale. A 30 year old Podolski in 3 years is going to worth very little in transfer value, whereas a 28 year old Fletcher should still command a decent fee. Especially is he keeps improving, as he has done year on year thus far.

Finally, for every van Nistelrooy and van Persie that come over, there's a Forlan and Shevenchko that don't make it. Fletcher has improved his PL goal tally by roughly 2 goals year on year, now at 12. If he keeps that rate up he will have justified his fee fully.

Like I said, whilst the price is high, the comparison may not be as black and White as you think.

You Seriously aren't comparing Fletcher to Podolski.

They're both professional footballers and strikers so why not?

Just cos his name doesnt end with 'inho' doesn't mean he's shit.

For starters he's (currently) better than all of oh striking options other than Bent.

He's not trying to say that they are both players of the same quality. He's just saying that, putting wages, resale value and the fact that it sometimes takes time for foreigners to adapt to the league (if they manage to do so at all), 14mill for Fletcher may actually be a better deal than 9mill for Podolski.

He's not trying to say that they are both players of the same quality. He's just saying that, putting wages, resale value and the fact that it sometimes takes time for foreigners to adapt to the league (if they manage to do so at all), 14mill for Fletcher may actually be a better deal than 9mill for Podolski.

I'm not necessarily comparing the job that the two players can do for their respective clubs, just saying there's more to take into account when assessing the value of a purchase than just the transfer fee alone.

FWIW, I do think Fletcher is an underrated player on here by some and believe he has goals in him. On the surface the fees quoted do seem high to say the least, but I also believe any club that buys him would either get good value over the years on the pitch, or a decent return if sold.

14mill for Fletcher may actually be a better deal than 9mill for Podolski.

Ok, In his Opinion.

Actually, I meant that the purchase of Podolski would cost Arsenal about as much, if not more than if Sunderland bought Fletcher over the course of their stays, plus Podolski could as well do a Shevchenko just as easily an Aguero so there's the factor of the unknown involved.

Having said that if Villa were able to attract someone of his calibre, I'd be delighted, but we can't so those "cheaper" world-class stars are not a valid comparison.

Â