Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I hope he and Cissokho are ok for the weekend because its not as if we've never been told a player is out for a week before only to see them return two months down the line. There's no 2 ways about it, AVFC has an injury curse over them.

Err, what?

No, you're right, actually we dont.

Well it's not a curse.

As others have said, this one's just a knock.

Edited by Mantis

He's got a knock on the knee and will be back for Sunday - hardly injured is it???

If it wasn't for the league cup midweek match, he wouldn't have missed a game amd we wouldn't be discussing this....

Exactly. Can we have less sensationalism and more common sense in this thread please?

Not common sense at all. The point is he is injured and HAS missed a game. The extent/timing of the injury is meaningless with regards the fear that his fitness is consistently unreliable for Aston Villa.

He's got a knock on the knee and will be back for Sunday - hardly injured is it???

If it wasn't for the league cup midweek match, he wouldn't have missed a game amd we wouldn't be discussing this....

Exactly. Can we have less sensationalism and more common sense in this thread please?

Not common sense at all. The point is he is injured and HAS missed a game. The extent/timing of the injury is meaningless with regards the fear that his fitness is consistently unreliable for Aston Villa.

As has been pointed out before, his "injury proneness" is exaggerated. He played more games last year than plenty of other top centrebacks who aren't considered injury prone.

• Like 1

As has been pointed out before, his "injury proneness" is exaggerated. He played more games last year than plenty of other top centrebacks who aren't considered injury prone.

As pointed out in response to that

a) I couldn't give a monkeys about other top centre backs

and 

b ) it is not so much about the number of games he misses, it is the regularity that he misses 1/2 here and then and we don't seem to be able to gather any consistency.

Also, who are these centrebacks? Is one Kompany? I would class him as injury prone. Where are they not classed as injury prone and by whom? Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

Edited by Woodytom

it is not so much about the number of games he misses, it is the regularity that he misses 1/2 here and then and we don't seem to be able to gather any consistency.

He's only missed a run of 1/2 league games twice in two years. On top of that he's had two longer spells out. He also played 24 consecutive league games. It's not like he hasn't been able to string a run of appearances together.

Also, who are these centrebacks?

Lovren, Mangala,  Koscielny, Dawson, Agger, Nastasic and Terry for starters.*

Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

No CB in the world's absence is as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us so that's not a fair question. :lol:

*Edit - He's missed less games injured in his time with us than these players have in the same time period.

Edited by ArteSuave

and 

b ) it is not so much about the number of games he misses, it is the regularity that he misses 1/2 here and then and we don't seem to be able to gather any consistency.

Also, who are these centrebacks? Is one Kompany? I would class him as injury prone. Where are they not classed as injury prone and by whom? Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

I thought you didn't give a monkeys?

He missed 6 league games last season. The same as, or less than, Koscielny, Lovren, Kompany, Cahill, Terry, Coloccini and Jagielka to name a few.

As for the regularity, I'm only doing this from memory, but didn't he miss all his games last season in one chunk. From his calf injury? Happy to be corrected. Hasn't he played every league game since he came back from that injury?

Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

That has nothing to do with my point. Nobody is arguing about how important Vlaar is for Aston Villa, we all know it's very important.

Edited by Stevo985

I think it was more noticable when Vlaar was injured last season as it left our defence horribly undermanned and we got trounced every week...

He's a decent Premier League CB and one we should be glad is playing for us.

Hopefully this season, he won't have December off again but even if he does, hopefully Cissokho, Senderos, Okore and Hutton can remain resolute in his absence.

As has already been mentioned, if it wasn't for the mid-week game he wouldn't have missed a game (most likely). Players get knocks all the time but because most of them generally only player once a week you don't even know about a lot of them.

If he's fit enough for the weekend then "missing" the mid week game was probably just a case of not risking him.

I bet if the midweek game was a Champions League qualifier (we wish!) he'd have played.

But why risk anyone against Orient if they're carrying a knock?

• Like 2

I fear the worst. Someone will come in and snap him up and we wont have time to replace him. I would be very worried. Surely we are not silly enough to sell him until next summer where we can replace him properly.

and 

So 'you couldn't give a monkeys' about other CB's, but then argue against one anyway? And I remember the previous exchange on this topic, all of these other names were suggested then as well. You can't expect people to educate you about the topic if you won't take your fingers out of your ears. 

Finally, he simply isn't often injured for 1-2 weeks at a time. He had 3 injuries last season, and one the season before - list here. He played 32 PL games last season, and a list of all his competitive performances last season is here (it's not short). Just admit it, you're wrong about this. 

• Like 4

he has been immense in our first two games this season and dragged the defence with him.... the back four seem to have a resolve about them that we haven't seen for a long time....

I hope he stays, and once he's still here next week, signs a new deal and sees out his career with us here... for villa right now, he is a critical player for us, and should be contracted as such....

and 

So 'you couldn't give a monkeys' about other CB's, but then argue against one anyway? And I remember the previous exchange on this topic, all of these other names were suggested then as well. You can't expect people to educate you about the topic if you won't take your fingers out of your ears. 

Finally, he simply isn't often injured for 1-2 weeks at a time. He had 3 injuries last season, and one the season before - list here. He played 32 PL games last season, and a list of all his competitive performances last season is here (it's not short). Just admit it, you're wrong about this. 

Do you know what HanoiVilla, I will not admit I am wrong. Nor do I need to take my fingers out my ears. What I will do however, is hold my hands up and highlight that my post was poorly worded and structured. I do apologize however, I was rushing to work. 

So, I will have another attempt.

First off all, I could give a monkeys about the debate and about other people's opinions. What I was trying to emphasise is that I am an Aston Villa fan and I'm only bothered really about Aston Villa players being injured and the impact that has on Aston Villa. Vincent Kompany being injured has absolutely no bearing on me whatsoever and I am sure many are on here feel the same. If anything, it was a rash (first thing that came in my head) statement that offered zero to my post/point.

Secondly, When I asked - Who are these CBs? I wasn't questioning Steveo's knowledge/reliability. I did not need educating either. I remember one of them was Kompany and I also remember that one was Lovren. The question, was just a way of bringing them into my post. Again, poorly worded, but here is why I brought them into my post (and this seems to be the bit you and others are avoiding)....

I think it is quite a weak argument altogether. The reason being is that I would class all those players (based on those stats) as unreliable in terms of fitness so I am not sure what Steveo means by they are not considered injury prone? I am not sure what that is based on.

I think Vlaar is injury prone, and I think the other CBs are injury prone too. I don't notice them or come on here banging on about them because like I say... I couldn't give a monkeys about them. 

I stand by my point that I find Vlaar's fitness a liability and frustrating. Half of that is down to his actual fitness and half of that is down to the fact that we are so shite, we can not do without him. 

Another point I made, in the original debate on this, is if you switch the stats around a bit, he has actually missed 22% of all league games since being here. That is nearly 1/4. Also, your stats do not include games, which he has gone off in. I have no idea how many that is. the only one I know is Saints (a) last year. 

So like I said, I won't admit I am wrong. I actually believe I am right. Tbh, it's a fairly interesting debate, but I will be remaining in the 'think he could play more' camp!!! 

and 

I thought you didn't give a monkeys?

He missed 6 league games last season. The same as, or less than, Koscielny, Lovren, Kompany, Cahill, Terry, Coloccini and Jagielka to name a few.

As for the regularity, I'm only doing this from memory, but didn't he miss all his games last season in one chunk. From his calf injury? Happy to be corrected. Hasn't he played every league game since he came back from that injury?

That has nothing to do with my point. Nobody is arguing about how important Vlaar is for Aston Villa, we all know it's very important.

Steveo, see post back to HanoiVillan. I would be interested to hear your reasoning as to why, where and by whom the other CBs are not classed as injury prone. Id argue that fans of all the respective clubs would prefer it if them players played a lot more. Especially the likes of Collocini and Kompany who are vital to their teams.

Edited by Woodytom

As has already been mentioned, if it wasn't for the mid-week game he wouldn't have missed a game (most likely). Players get knocks all the time but because most of them generally only player once a week you don't even know about a lot of them.

You are completely avoiding the fact that this has actually happened, thus making 'ifs' completely irrelevant.

You are completely avoiding the fact that this has actually happened, thus making 'ifs' completely irrelevant.

I doubt he would have played wednesday fit or not. 

I thought the puns were the worst things on here. Nope, it's people who tell you in page-long replies how little they care.

I was desperately trying to think of a Vlaar pun to reply to this, but I couldn't. Challenge failed.  :(

Â