Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Although I think Vlaar is incredibly overrated on here by many, we should offer him a new contract the minute he walks in for training after the World Cup. We wont get many better defenders than him. 

Dunne had a couple of years where he showed more than Vlaar has in the past 2 years. 

But then again, Dunne was in a better team which would have helped.

I wouldn't say there's too much in it between Dunne when we signed him and Vlaar now to be honest.

Vlaar plays in a team known for its passing style and ball retention, namely Holland. And he is currently one of the top the central defenders at the tournament, the World Cup. Holland are good enough to win the World Cup. To say he is overrated, tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

• Like 4

Dunne had a couple of years where he showed more than Vlaar has in the past 2 years. 

I wouldn't say there's too much in it between Dunne when we signed him and Vlaar now to be honest.

Dunne had a good 6 months for us, that was about it.

• Like 2

As Trent said, Dunne was good for the first couple of thirds of 09/10 and that was it. That was also a much better team than the one we have now as well. When we were poorer in the two following seasons done was pretty shocking.

• Like 1

And Vlaar has had more?  Between injuries and conceding a crazy amount of goals has he been that great? 

Vlaar's been good in a handful of games, he's also been awful in others. Similar to Dunne imo... hence I don't think there's much between them

Edited by PieFacE

Vlaar plays in a team known for its passing style and ball retention, namely Holland. And he is currently one of the top the central defenders at the tournament, the World Cup. Holland are good enough to win the World Cup. To say he is overrated, tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

Villa aren't a team that is known for it's passing style and ball retention, it's one that's known for conceding lots of goals, with a defender called Vlaar playing. To use the World Cup as a bench mark to judge how good our players are at club level tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

If you put Dunne in this Holland team he'd look decent too. 

And Vlaar has had more? 

Vlaar's been good in a handful of games, he's also been awful in others. Similar to Dunne imo... hence I don't think there's much between them

Vlaar didn't get the credit he deserved in his first season and he was arguably our best player last season behind Delph.

We simply cannot afford to let him go.

And Vlaar has had more? 

Vlaar didn't get the credit he deserved in his first season and he was arguably our best player last season behind Delph.

We simply cannot afford to let him go.

I agree we cannot let him go. We need to offer him a contract as soon as he gets back.

Villa aren't a team that is known for it's passing style and ball retention, it's one that's known for conceding lots of goals, with a defender called Vlaar playing. To use the World Cup as a bench mark to judge how good our players are at club level tells you everything you need to know about what some fans know about football.

Dunne wouldn't even make the bench. Hoof! Hoof!

And Vlaar has had more?  Between injuries and conceding a crazy amount of goals has he been that great? 

Yes I think Vlaar has had more. He was excellent for pretty much the whole of last season and he was decent the season before that. He hasn't been injured that much anyway.

Vlaar hoofs it constantly at club level too. It's pretty obvious it's more down to how a team sets up rather than the players themselves.  All players can pass the ball, they're footballers ffs. 

Edited by PieFacE

Yes I think Vlaar has had more. He was excellent for pretty much the whole of last season and he was decent the season before that. He hasn't been injured that much anyway.

I thought he was good last season I certainly wouldn't say he was excellent. First half of the season I thought he was great, but then he lost his way with the rest of the team.

We can agree to disagree, you obviously rate him more than I do. He's good, but he's hardly irreplaceable imo. 

Vlaar hoofs it constantly at club level too. It's pretty obvious it's more down to how a team sets up rather than the players themselves.  All players can pass the ball, they're footballers ffs. 

No they can't. They are athletes that play football. Some are good with the ball at their feet (Vlaar), some are not (Dunne). Both Vlaar and Dunne are good players, but Vlaar has more in his repertoire than Dunne, IMO of course.

Â