Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

How and why did we let Albion get Lescott?

Depending on his wages they can have him. Good defender but massively overrated on here IMO. He's getting on a bit as well.

Edited by Mantis

I'm repeating myself from earlier in the thread, but get a grip guys........average defender has a good 60 minutes in a World Cup group game and now he's Franco Baresi and just waiting for the offers to flood in......I fear not.

Yeah you are repeating yourself, and it's still nonsense.

Thanks for your telling insight. Luckily I can remember when Villa defenders were lauded for, well, being defenders.....not just better than 2 youngish players we have, who are out of their depth. Or for 60 good minutes in a World Cup group game. Throw yourselves at the feet of King Ron if you like, but I'll venture 2 things......he won't be making Team of the Tournament nor will he leave ( if in the unlikely event he does leave ) for a top 6 club.

except no one is throwing themselves at Ron's feet.

No one is saying he's Franco Baresi.

No one is lauding him.

No one is saying he will make the team of the tournament.

No one is even saying he'll leave for a top 6 club, seeing as United finished 7th last season.

All anyone is saying is that he's better than average.

Just because we don't think he's just "average" doesn't mean we think he's the best defender in the whole world for goodness sake. We just think he deserves better than to be called average.

If your opinion is that he's just average then that's your opinion. Ridiculing the rest of us because we happen to rate him slightly higher is, to bring me back to my original post, **** nonsense.[/quote

...as is Trying to ridicule me with your ****nonsense....

I'm repeating myself from earlier in the thread, but get a grip guys........average defender has a good 60 minutes in a World Cup group game and now he's Franco Baresi and just waiting for the offers to flood in......I fear not.

Thanks for your telling insight. Luckily I can remember when Villa defenders were lauded for, well, being defenders.....not just better than 2 youngish players we have, who are out of their depth. Or for 60 good minutes in a World Cup group game. Throw yourselves at the feet of King Ron if you like, but I'll venture 2 things......he won't be making Team of the Tournament nor will he leave ( if in the unlikely event he does leave ) for a top 6 club.

except no one is throwing themselves at Ron's feet.

No one is saying he's Franco Baresi.

No one is lauding him.

No one is saying he will make the team of the tournament.

No one is even saying he'll leave for a top 6 club, seeing as United finished 7th last season.

All anyone is saying is that he's better than average.

Just because we don't think he's just "average" doesn't mean we think he's the best defender in the whole world for goodness sake. We just think he deserves better than to be called average.

If your opinion is that he's just average then that's your opinion. Ridiculing the rest of us because we happen to rate him slightly higher is, to bring me back to my original post, **** nonsense.[/quote

...as is Trying to ridicule me with your ****nonsense....

You are truly edging your bets there because didn't Man United finish 7th last season?

The word you're looking for is 'hedging' and if you think I'm anal enough to see if Man Utd actually finished high enough to be classed as potential suitors then good luck to you.....

Trying to say that one of the players (captain as well) that play for the team you support isn't average, is nonsense?

Right then. Back to off topic I go.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I have seen the team I support since 3rd division days. They were truly less than average then,ate. Since then, I have seen us win the league and the European Cup - we were distinctly a lot better than average then. If you think that because I think a player who currently plays in this less than average team is only average, I'd suggest you carry on living in Panini world. I've invested a lot more in this club to listen that cobblers......

Trying to say that one of the players (captain as well) that play for the team you support isn't average, is nonsense?

This may come as a surprise to you, but I have seen the team I support since 3rd division days. They were truly less than average then,ate. Since then, I have seen us win the league and the European Cup - we were distinctly a lot better than average then. If you think that because I think a player who currently plays in this less than average team is only average, I'd suggest you carry on living in Panini world. I've invested a lot more in this club to listen that cobblers......

So you're not to fussed if he leaves then your highness?

Not particularly, providing we get the right deal for the club.....your holiness

Not particularly, providing we get the right deal for the club.....your holiness

Will at least one fan will not be downbeat about his departure....your majesty.

It will probably be more than one, he really isn't that good. Keep clutching though lads.........

It will probably be more than one, he really isn't that good. Keep clutching though lads.........

If he goes and we don't replace him lets see how we do without him...he's incredibly important for us.

Ironic that you're accusing me of ridiculing you.

I'm not ridiculing you, I just said your post was nonsense. I already said if you think Vlaar is average then that's fair enough. Your opinion is perfectly valid.

What isn't valid, and IS nonsense, is you stating that its crazy that people who don't think he's average think he's the next Baresi, or that he'll be in the team of the tournament at the world cup, or that he'll go to a top 6 team.

Because NOBODY has said any of those things. Only you have. You're attacking straw men.

You're arguing against yourself.

Edited by Stevo985

clutching?

What are you on about?

Claiming one of our players is better than average is clutching at straws?

Are you that desperate for an argument?

I think vlaar is a really decent defender i also think playing in a decent defence hed be even better it cant be easy when you playing alongside numpties ie clark and baker i really think donacianshould be called up the money we get from vlaar who will leave after the world cup will go straight back to penny pincher learner.imo it will be a long hard season and by the end of septembet i expect us to be rock bottom cos vlaar wont be there to steady the ship.

Is there a fixed price we have to invest to have an opinion, or is it some sort of tiered Kickstarter-like deal?  You know, like "Tier 1: Buy both shirts in a season, receive a sticker // Tier 2: Buy 3 consecutive season tickets, receive a shout-out in one your posts // Tier 3: Pay for redevelopment of the North Stand, you'll do an intimate home-gig where you'll deride up to 5 viewpoints in person".

Edited by GarethRDR

Good, bad or indifferent Vlaar is currently our best and most consistent defender.

Simple as, losing him without a proper replacement would only harm our chances of survival next season.

If we do sell him I do not trust Lerner to reinvest the funds into the playing side with the cash ending up in his back pocket.

We need to offer Vlaar a fair contract in line with the other key players in the club and as our current club captain. I do not trust Lerner to do this either.

No wonder I have grey hair with all this worry!

Fair enough, you must be very impressed with our defensive options. 

Â