Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I thought I'd put it here as I don't know where else to put it.

Anyone else notice we've conceded three very similar goals recently. Sturridge, Mulumbu and Naismith.

I thought they were all quite unusual as you don't often see a team passing it through your CB's like that. On the face of it all struck me a pretty decent goals by the opposition, great passes from Pienaar and Henderson for example.

But just wondered if anyone thought there is anything specific we are doing at the moment which is leaving us open to this.

I thought I'd put it here as I don't know where else to put it.

Anyone else notice we've conceded three very similar goals recently. Sturridge, Mulumbu and Naismith.

I thought they were all quite unusual as you don't often see a team passing it through your CB's like that. On the face of it all struck me a pretty decent goals by the opposition, great passes from Pienaar and Henderson for example.

But just wondered if anyone thought there is anything specific we are doing at the moment which is leaving us open to this.

Noticed that too, no one follows the runner also in the Mulumbu goal Clark and Vlaar actually run into each other.

For this game it seemed to me the 3 CB's all got caught out not knowing who to move to the ball.

The Sturrridge goal was just very good. Someone should have closed Suarez down but other than that it was hard to stop.

Naismith's goal was from Baker following Naismith out and then failing to stay goal side.

Mulumbu's goal was some combination of no pressure on the ball and Clark and Vlaar doing a slapstick routine.

The only one they could've done better on was Mulumbu's. I'll concede the other two to just good play by the other team. Vlaar cut out a few similar passes earlier in the game but you can only stop it so many times

Harsh to blame Baker for Naismith's goal, it's what the third CB was doing all game, and it helped stifle Everton's creativity. On Naismith's goal, Vlaar closes down Pienaar and leaves a big gap behind him as he just walks up from the line him and Clark had.

Following him out was fine but he then stops and lets him run into the gap he just left without being tracked. Surely if he's going to move out then he's got to move back as well.

Harsh to blame Baker for Naismith's goal, it's what the third CB was doing all game, and it helped stifle Everton's creativity. On Naismith's goal, Vlaar closes down Pienaar and leaves a big gap behind him as he just walks up from the line him and Clark had.

Following him out was fine but he then stops and lets him run into the gap he just left without being tracked. Surely if he's going to move out then he's got to move back as well.

No - if he moves out to close down someone else should cover him. No one did. Besides it shouldn't have been any of the CB's job to close down Pienaar - it should have been some of the midfielders. 

No - if he moves out to close down someone else should cover him. No one did. Besides it shouldn't have been any of the CB's job to close down Pienaar - it should have been some of the midfielders.

So following Naismith 5 yards is the end of Baker's responsibility? 5 yards of tracking and then switch off. If Naismith isn't Baker's responsibility at the point he's running past him then there is no point him being there.

Pienaar made use of the kind of space/time its really hard to not leave open but Naismith runs past Baker after taking him out of position.

So following Naismith 5 yards is the end of Baker's responsibility? 5 yards of tracking and then switch off. If Naismith isn't Baker's responsibility at the point he's running past him then there is no point him being there.

Pienaar made use of the kind of space/time its really hard to not leave open but Naismith runs past Baker after taking him out of position.

You're right, Baker should have tracked his run, but if Vlaar hadn't moved forward to close down Pienaar, Naismith's run wouldn't have gotten anywhere as he'd have run into Vlaar and not found much space.

It's a great pass by Pienaar, but again, if Vlaar was 3-4 yards further back it would have gone straight to him.

• Like 1

Vlaar could/should have been deeper but then Pienaar would have taken a touch or played a different ball and Naismith would still be running into the box unmarked into the space that Baker was occupying 5 seconds earlier.

I don't think Vlaar was blameless in the goal but Baker was far more culpable for allowing Naismith goal side IMO. If he'd just been too slow then its not really his fault but he had time to react and didn't do it.

Vlaar is only the size of a normal human though, he isn't so big that he can fill the gap from his own position to Baker's position. Naismith can run past a stationery defender who is looking at the ball wherever he is stood.

Vlaar's focus has to be the man with the ball, if he starts trying to jostle the runner he leaves Pienaar to do as he pleases and risks giving away a penalty.

Our lack of transfer activity will come back to bite us on the arse.  We needed defensive cover, not to mention some quality in midfield.  Anybody from us in 10th place downwards is a realistic relegation prospect.

Â