General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General,

I'm not sure if this suggestion has been put forward or not.

If, as it seems, the council are going to take a hard line on this nonsense then people in the Holte need to be informed via the programme and potentially a leaflet before a match. The stewards will fight a losing battle trying to make the Holte sit down during matches because people will just see them as busy bodies and jobsworths. However, some literature explaining that this it is NOT Aston Villa's driving this issue but the councils and that Villa stand to lose a lot of money in unsold seats / fines if it continues may have more of an effect. We don't want to see gaping holes in the Holte.

A sorry state of affairs and utterly ridiculous; football will have no atmosphere before long.

Regards

Nick

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. Great result today!!! What a shot by Petrov...a real beauty. As always, the away fans were magnificent!! :cheers: :angel:

2. There are many things that I wish we could do with re. to the persistent standing issue...to include getting more clarity on "when" it is allowed. My sense is that we just need to realize that excitement comes over good plays, excitement comes when motivating the lads, excitement comes when we score or our keeper makes a brilliant save, ecitement comes at moments that we all recognize on the Pitch. What the council is concerned about is "persistent" standing...defined as "standing that persists" ie. not sitting down. MANY of you have it right...the Club will be the loser if we can't fix this. We will get fined and it is as simple as that. Yes, the stewards will do what they need to do....but what we don't want is a scene or our own fans getting tossed from the stadium. We aren't asking for an arm or a leg....just a bum in the seat. :angel:

Gen, dunno whether this is the right place or not but a bit of trivia is floating about. Martin always has a number 31 on his tracksuit. Do you know why? If not, can you find out?

Martin has had 31 on his kit from his days at Wycombe - it was a lucky room for him - and long may it continue. Hey general, I'm sure we'd all settle for a repeat scoreline v the blooz next week!!!! I'm like a little kid waiting for Xmas - bring it on - you will have the experience of a lifetime - COME ON YOU LIONS!!!!!! :P

Hi General,

A few things, has there been any progress on gettin Juan Pablo Angel back for a send off? Would be so nice to see him this season at some point?

Also, I notice your signature is 'Semper Fidelis, General Krulak', what does the first part mean?

Mike

Semper Fi

"Semper Fidelis", or "Semper Fi" for short, is Latin for "Always faithful."

The United States Marine Corps adopted the motto, Semper Fidelis in 1883, on the initiative of Colonel Charles McCawley (January 29, 1827 – October 13, 1891), the 8th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

There were three mottos prior to Semper Fidelis including "Fortitudine" (meaning "with courage") antedating the War of 1812, which was a nod to the British Royal Marines, "Per Mare, Per Terram" ("by sea, by land") and, up until 1843, there was also the motto "To the Shores of Tripoli". "Semper fidelis" signifies the dedication and loyalty that individual Marines are expected to have for "Corps and Country", even after leaving service. The Marines frequently shorten the motto to "Semper Fi".

* "Semper Fidelis" is also the title of the official march of the United States Marine Corps, composed by John Philip Sousa in 1889. Sousa was director of the United States Marine Band ("The President's Own") when a replacement for Hail to the Chief was requested, but later rejected. Sousa considered it to be his "most musical" march. It was prominently featured in the movie A Few Good Men. Lyrics to the march were written by Charles Burr and can be found on Wikisource.

* On the United States Marine Corps Seal, the eagle of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem holds a ribbon emblazoned "Semper Fidelis".

General, the best way to solve the 'Persistent standing' issue would probably be to put an article about it in the next match program or copy of heroes and villains. That way you could explain properly that the problem is persistent standing, not just standing during exciting moments. This is the only way i can see it working, because the majority of fans will not find out from sources such as Villa Talk and H&V, because they might not use the messageboards and trust me when i say they won't take kindly to being told to sit by the stewards.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Best of luck regarding this difficult issue.

P.S. Please pass on a well deserved hug to Petrov, I knew the guy was bound to score one of those screamers eventually!

Hi General,

Is there any official link between Villa and any travel companies or hotels to offer deals or packages? i.e. ticket and hotel covered in the one price?

Is there any work in progress to offer any deals like this?

For example, Thomas Cook have some links with clubs which seem to offer some saving.

And even if the saving was minimal it would offer some convenience.

General Krulak here:

1. Imagine, today marks my 600th post on Villa Talk!!!!!!! And this is just one of the 4 sites I post on. No wonder Mrs "K" is ready to kill me.

2. Juan Pablo...not sure where that stands right now. My sense is that he is into his season and will not be over for awhile.

3. Semper Fidelis does, in fact, stand for "Always Faithful"...the motto of the US Marine Corps.

4. Right now there is no official connection with a travel company and AVFC. We have been looking into this for the future.

General Krulak here:

2. There are many things that I wish we could do with re. to the persistent standing issue...to include getting more clarity on "when" it is allowed. My sense is that we just need to realize that excitement comes over good plays, excitement comes when motivating the lads, excitement comes when we score or our keeper makes a brilliant save, ecitement comes at moments that we all recognize on the Pitch. What the council is concerned about is "persistent" standing...defined as "standing that persists" ie. not sitting down. MANY of you have it right...the Club will be the loser if we can't fix this. We will get fined and it is as simple as that. Yes, the stewards will do what they need to do....but what we don't want is a scene or our own fans getting tossed from the stadium. We aren't asking for an arm or a leg....just a bum in the seat. :angel:

General,

My original concern was that the Council COULD interpret 'moments of excitement' as just being after a goal was scored. If this was the case either fans would stop attending games or the club would have to 'take the hit'.

IF the Council interprets 'moments of excitement' the same as your post as above, my family and I will be fine. We sit in row 12 of K5 and usually stand for corners, free kicks direct on goal, and to celebrate goals (plus a few other moments, such as when Ashley Young has the ball!). Most of our standing is prompted by those in front getting to their feet during what I would class as genuine 'moments of excitement'.

I hope that the persistent standers take notice of your request and 'play the game'. It would appear that even if they spent 50% of the time standing, so long as this was based on jumping to their feet to watch certain events of the game, followed by sitting down again for a minute or two, and so on, they will be fine.

Unfortunately, getting some of the lads at the back of the Holte to comply will be tricky. Perhaps an A5 sized simply worded leaflet handed out at the Upper Holte turnstiles might help?

I’m sure you are aware that stopping the away fans from standing for 90 minutes WILL be more than just tricky. Leaflets saying that Villa will be fined if they do not sit, are more likely to make them stand from the first to last whistle. I pity the poor stewards (and police surely?) that will attempt to enforce this. EXPECT trouble.

Congratulations on your 600th post on this site alone! Keep up the great work, it IS appreciated!

I know you were responsing to someone commenting on your comment for the General, but please, there's already a thread for discussing the standing/seating issue. This is one is ONLY for comments/questions for General Krulak. Thanks. Blandy

4. I would say that Richard Fitzgerald's remit has been distributed among many people...but Randy is and has always been the driving force behind the Club

General perhaps I am reading too much into your answer, but I take it that there are now no plans to appoint a replacement Chief Executive. Is that the case?

General, I think my question may have been missed

General

(and maybe anybody with a bit of background on this)

Having been a fan that manages to get to a handful of games every year (for the last 30 years) I've never previously managed to get hold of a ticket for us v them.

Without wanting to look like a middle class softy.....would I be nuts to park the car in the Villa parking the other side of Witton Lane Station??? Normally fine, but Sunday isnt likely to be normal.

General

(and maybe anybody with a bit of background on this)

Having been a fan that manages to get to a handful of games every year (for the last 30 years) I've never previously managed to get hold of a ticket for us v them.

Without wanting to look like a middle class softy.....would I be nuts to park the car in the Villa parking the other side of Witton Lane Station??? Normally fine, but Sunday isnt likely to be normal.

With all respect to the General, you may get a more experienced response if you post this question in the current pre-match thread.