Speculation: Tongo Doumbia (Rennes)

FamousHolteUnion

Another Rennes midfielder linked.

Sky Sports

22 Year old Defensive midfielder rated at £2m on Transfermarkt, has made 2 appearances for Mali international team. Has made 47 appearances for Rennes since 2009 scoring 2 goals in that time (hes a DM)

He's huge at 6ft 3" so would add some height to our midfield and has been likened as the 'next Patrick Viera' in an article I was reading online, admittedly the article was linking him to Arsenal and he's a DM of French descent so it could very easily have been lazy journalism.

On the links to Arsenal and Everton: Arsenal already have Coquelin and Frimpong as young Defensive midfielders who are very promising, Alex Song who imo is very under rated and a very good player and they were also signing Doumbia's team mate Yann M'Vila at one point (that seems to have cooled but I imagine they'll sign him or Etienne Capoue) so I dont see why Arsenal would want another DM, giving them Coquelin, Frimpong, Song, M'Vila/Capoue and Doumbia. I dont buy that link at all.

Everton, maybe, they have Rodwell and Fellaini as DM's and I dont think this Doumbia would get much of a run out in that as I think Fellaini is a top player and Rodwell has the potential to be. But saying that its just as likely one of those two will be sold on to get some money for the club (Fellaini probably, he could easily go somewhere like Utd) and maybe Doumbia will be another one of Moyes' cheap signings from nowhere to replace them.

Rennes midfielder Tongo Doumbia has confirmed that talks over a move to England are ongoing.

Arsenal, Everton and Aston Villa have all been linked with moves for the powerful Malian international.

Now he has confirmed that talks with an unnamed parties are ongoing.

Asked by Le 10 Sport if he was in contact with a Premier League club, he said: " Yes, there are discussions.

"My agent is taking care of that - it is nice but a transfer requires all parties agreeing to it and now we are talking with Rennes.

"And this is not that I don't want to play with Rennes but this is the Premier League, it is a league that really attracts me. I think I have a playing style suited to the Premier League.

"I am due to resume training on Monday, but I hope everything will be fixed shortly."

Doumbia, who joined Rennes from Chateauroux in 2009, has two-years left on his current deal.

So. He's confirmed he's in talks with a club a Young, brick-shit house defensive midfielder rated around £2m and apparently the next Patrick Viera... if that is all true I would certainly take a punt

If we are after him then Makoun is gone as we could line up with Doumbia and El Ahmadi as a midfield pairing and despite Lambert's rotation policy we could play Herd, Clark, Gardner or Bannan in place of one of them all of which are pretty comfortable in the Premier League these days something Makoun isn't yet.

I want to know how much Lambert has to spend as if he has £20-£30 million then the way he's spending it he could very well buy an entirely new starting 11 if he wanted to.

Just read the on the rennes board. Their supporters dont think very high of him and a few of them consider €4 mill a real coup for him as they already have better options. Stated by quite a few that he lacks the football intelligence and passing abillites to play at such a high level. Not convinced.

Brahimi on the other hands cause more fury among them. The general belief of the supporters is that he´ll go somewhere and "explode" as they put it. To prove his manager wrong (who doesnt play him) and become a star somewhere else.

So. He's confirmed he's in talks with a club a Young, brick-shit house defensive midfielder rated around £2m and apparently the next Patrick Viera...

Off topic, but Graham Linehan tweeted "I'm built like a shit brickhouse."

Which I thought was fairly brilliant :)

Actually saw a few Rennes games last season (I like to watch the games I bet on :)). Cant remember to have noticed Doumbia in any way. And if he is the new Viera, then I must have forgot how little impact he had on games. Because my memory seems to tell me that he was a beast.

Marvin Martin will probably end up being Hazards replacement at Lille, think he's a bit above us to be honest

Same for Moussa Sissoko, we were linked last year but imagine Toulouse would want a big fee for him, he'll go to a big club.

Yeah, edited out that part. Martin is at Lille and Matuidi has moved to PSG.

Sissoko will probably end up somewhere bigger, yes. But when were talking in the hopes of finding a new viera, he is a much better shot IMO. Cost more, but for good reason.

Anyways, back to the topic... :)

I want to know how much Lambert has to spend as if he has £20-£30 million then the way he's spending it he could very well buy an entirely new starting 11 if he wanted to.
I don't think every player he signs will be in this price range

get them in... i'd rather us take a chance of these two (Doumbia and Brahimi) for what 3-4m for both all together? (2m for Doumbia and 2.5 for Brahimi after a loan) than Snodgrass for 4/5m.

Agreed. Considering MON wasted £10m on Curtis Davies we could end up spending pretty much the same amount but instead get a RB, DM, CM and Winger. Good work.

Richard - Do you think there will be a marquee signing?

I think the manager will sign players he thinks can improve us in the positions we need strengthening for the money he has available. I don't think he will spend big just to spend big but if there is a player he wants, and no decent alternative, and who will cost a bit more then he will get him.

A post earlier was interesting, you see I do think he needs around 6 or 7 positions strengthening and if he has, let's just say for the sake of arguments 30m or so, that's around 4m per player on average, unless he sells one or two. That does not mean each will cost exactly 4m though. All IMO of course

I think the manager will sign players he thinks can improve us in the positions we need strengthening for the money he has available. I don't think he will spend big just to spend big but if there is a player he wants, and no decent alternative, and who will cost a bit more then he will get him.

A post earlier was interesting, you see I do think he needs around 6 or 7 positions strengthening and if he has, let's just say for the sake of arguments 30m or so, that's around 4m per player on average, unless he sells one or two. That does not mean each will cost exactly 4m though. All IMO of course

Do you think that Lambert is getting his 'cheap' signings out of the way first so he knows how much is there for a 'marquee' signing?

Overall, I'm really pleased with the movements that have been made thus far in the transfer market.

problem is his agent being in contact with us, arsenal and everton doesnt mean we were the ones who instigated it

i bet his agent has that press release saved as a template on his computer, just change the player name and pick 3 clubs at random and then send it to a sky sports sauce