General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Why were you so optimistic before? Was it the news about randy selling? One more purchase.. depending on how much we spend.. would be less net spend then mcleish got wouldn't he? Not enough to progress.
Is the Wet Spam game the end of the window then?

Nope, but the points dropped or won before the window closes still counts at the end of the season

we have a better squad already than last year, with the additions of KEA and Vlaar. we have a manager who will play to the strenghts of ireland and zog and bent, and not accentuate their weaknesses. the youngsters are a year older and will give us more strength in depth too.

even being pessimistic i'd expect us to better last season by at least 9 points, which will see us safely mid table i'd reckon.

being realistic, even without additions to the squad i reckon we'll be top half.

Sure hope your right, not in my nature to be optimistic thou...

I see us struggling if we not seriously strengthen the starting 11

I think our current starting 11 is much much stronger than Norwich's was this time last year. In every department.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why were you so optimistic before? Was it the news about randy selling? One more purchase.. depending on how much we spend.. would be less net spend then mcleish got wouldn't he? Not enough to progress.

Nope, but the points dropped or won before the window closes still counts at the end of the season

we have a better squad already than last year, with the additions of KEA and Vlaar. we have a manager who will play to the strenghts of ireland and zog and bent, and not accentuate their weaknesses. the youngsters are a year older and will give us more strength in depth too.

even being pessimistic i'd expect us to better last season by at least 9 points, which will see us safely mid table i'd reckon.

being realistic, even without additions to the squad i reckon we'll be top half.

Sure hope your right, not in my nature to be optimistic thou...

I see us struggling if we not seriously strengthen the starting 11

I think our current starting 11 is much much stronger than Norwich's was this time last year. In every department.

On paper Id agree, but a lot of those players had a desire that isnt present in our team to suceed in the Premiership, and the sum of the parts certainly wasnt equal to the whole in that case.

I would certainly hope it is.

They were running high on excitement and adrenaline.

Our team have zero confidence and is once again being rebuilt under a new manager.

OUT - Makoun, Ireland, Hutton, Warnock, Delfouneso

Barmy!!! :bonk:

I see your well made point. However if it means getting in a quality DM and a winger, which we desperately need, I think we should take it.

We'd still have some decent CM options and more creativity.

Obviously i'd prefer to keep him and still sign a winger and a DM.

People want an attacking minded squad and a bit of creativity & spark, along with not selling our best players year after year...yet you would happily get rid of our best and most creative player!?!? Hasnt he thrown in another couple of MOTM performance during pre-season also?

Like i say...

To replace Stephen Ireland with someone with equal technical ability, your are talking in excess of £12m. Which we dont have.

My point really is about what I think could be best for our squad. If it meant losing Ireland + Makoun in order to sign a DM and someone like Adam Johnson then I would do it. That's all my point is. Of course I would rather keep Ireland as well but we are not rich enough to do that, as you have alluded to.

We need a DM and a winger. We have a number of CM's who could do a job similar to Ireland. Technically he is our best player but I think we would struggle more next season without a DM and another winger than we would by losing Ireland.

There's nothing about happily getting rid of him in my post as I think he is a very good player. But if it meant getting in a couple of solid players in positions where we are far weaker in terms of squad strength then it is something I would accept.

If it was someone like Bent going then that is a different story all together as we'd be losing a guaranteed goalscorer to be replaced by someone who may or may not get us goals, which will keep us up. I would have enough confidence in CNZ, A. Johnson, Bannan, KEA, Gardner, Delph, D. Johnson etc supplying enough chances for our strikers...ideally Bent, Gabby, Weimann + 1 Other (not ND).

Our team have zero confidence and is once again being rebuilt under a new manager.

i'd say had rather than have zero confidence.

the point abotu our squad being better in every department to what norwich had at their disposal is a very good one.

i take it you don't rate any of the youngsters then?

i'd say had rather than have zero confidence.

the point abotu our squad being better in every department to what norwich had at their disposal is a very good one.

i take it you don't rate any of the youngsters then?

Very much up in the air about the "youngsters" I still rate Clark, Weimann & Gardner. The rest can hardly be called youngsters anymore and the kids from the next generation are hardly ready to make an impact this season.

The fact that the Norwich squad had played togheter under Lambert and were high on confidence partly makes up for the lack of quality as i see it.

But yeah our squad is probably better than the Norwich squad of last season

i'd expect us to do better than norwich did last year then, so at the least mid table with no relegation scrapes or brown trouser moments for months on end like last seasons fare!

re: the youngsters comign through, i reckon we'll get at least a coupel of good suprises this year. bannan, albrighton (when he gets fit), carruthers, herd, gardner, clark, baker, dj, weimann...

i'd say at least 2 of them are gonna make a real step forward this year.

wasnt having a go mate. Genuinely asking why you thought there would be quite a bit of money spent. Do you still believe it to be true?

It may not be closing but unlikely to have much activity after the first game.. besides MON.

Is everyone forgetting Herd ? or does no-one rate him... I think hes our best CM...along with KEA.

At 23 he's hardly a youngster anymore is he?

But he's more than ok for a squad player

Is everyone forgetting Herd ? or does no-one rate him... I think hes our best CM...along with KEA.

Ahh Tis is true... however IMO hes a great all rounded CM.

Would like to see what KEA and him in the centre with Ireland behind bent up top would be like.

And can we just buy adam johnson already... I'm fed up with looking on here near-enough every day and seeing his name mentioned near enough every day :s

What is the obsession with a Marquee? Its a big **** tent. Yes its impressive and all and shows what we can afford but do we really need a big **** tent?

What we need is a couple of pretty useful cheaper tents from Millets. The sort that do the job required of them and do it well with little aggro. Yes a big **** tent is much nicer and you can have a party in it, but surely the money would be better spent on 3-4 top of the range smaller ones?

To put it another way - we could buy Ferrari Enzo, but 3 top spec AMG Mercs would be a better use of the money?

Just a thought?

well at 23 he's not exactly near his peak though either (lets call it 28, 29 for a midfielder). i think he can only get better.

if we do get a couple of nice surprises from the academy set pushing for first team action, then that's like 2 signings as well.

@kevan: did you see my question to you a couple of pages back?

Ahh Tis is true... however IMO hes a great all rounded CM.

Would like to see what KEA and him in the centre with Ireland behind bent up top would be like.

And can we just buy adam johnson already... I'm fed up with looking on here near-enough every day and seeing his name mentioned near enough every day :s

City are trying to get Scott Sinclair apparently. This might be what will trigger a move for Johnson.

OUT - Makoun, Ireland, Hutton, Warnock, Delfouneso

I see your well made point. However if it means getting in a quality DM and a winger, which we desperately need, I think we should take it.

We'd still have some decent CM options and more creativity.

Obviously i'd prefer to keep him and still sign a winger and a DM.

People want an attacking minded squad and a bit of creativity & spark, along with not selling our best players year after year...yet you would happily get rid of our best and most creative player!?!? Hasnt he thrown in another couple of MOTM performance during pre-season also?

Like i say...

Hmm... despite whatever you say about Ireland, he still has EVERYTHING to prove in a Villa shirt. His Villa career has thus far been nothing short of pathetic, given what we lost for him (Milner) and the wages he's on (60k+). There are various reasons (/excuses) one can point to but I tend to agree with the point spuds is making.

To be honest I'd love a Lb, Cb, Cm, Wng, Cf. But the priority is Lb, Wng, Cf at the minute tbh.

Matty Phillips, Aaron Cresswell and Some like Jordan Rhodes/Guidetti/Charlie Austin and I'd be pretty happy for the start of the season! (Charlie Austin got 16 last season for Burnley, only 24 seems a good player from the games I've seen)

All of those players are unproven at this level. I think we need a couple of players of proven quality now. One in CM and another up front.

I supose it would depend on what we could afford really.... I'm not fussed if they aren't proven PL players.... they cost more money on wages and Fee's and none of Norwich's players where proven up until last year!

Thinking about it... I'd take Rhodes. Seems like he could be a better job than both Weimann and Delfouneso. And would give gabby a chance pull up his socks instead of being gifted a first 11 place.

interesting that you would think something like that, don't want to shit stir... BUT...

that something jack might think of weimann?? surely they played together when weimann was getting hatfuls of goals in the reserves? he had a couple of decent displays int he first team last season too.

fonz did it in the reserves too, he's shown flashes that he has really good feet but maybe his probs are in his head. something we should hope PL can sort out for him :)

on another note, i personally am not concerned we aren't splashing the cash, we have got ourselves a manager who beleives he can get better value from lower leagues and abroad and through his coaching and tactics can win games at this level without needing £40m to spend in a summer. from what he's said about players personalities, probably the last thinkg he wants is to spunk £20m+ on a british striker who probably has a god complex and an ego the size of the moon.

My bad for not reading it :L

ahaa but yeahh hes following jacko on twitter and jacks friends with him. Jack thinks weimann could do well and of course as youve said hes nothing short of magical for the ressies. IMO Im really not sure if he'll make regular first team football at villa.

And im not sure he rates Delfouneso as a great footballer. And I personally think we have a forward version of Isaiah Osbourne on our hands.

To put it another way - we could buy Ferrari Enzo, but 3 top spec AMG Mercs would be a better use of the money?

Just a thought?

can you drive more then one car at once?

sure you might be able to get lots of mediocre players, but they arent all gonna be able to fit on the pitch at once... we need more quality, not quantity