General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Not picking on you, but you just reminded me of this.

Every season, people suggest signing certain players on "pay as you play" deals.

It all sounds well and good, but does anyone actually know of any players who are on deals like this? Do they actually exist or are they just made up by fans?

was Hargreaves not on one at City?

Woodgate was on one last season at Stoke and actually managed to play about 18 games (though he was mostly garbage at right-back). If Owen could play 18 games then he'd probably score 3 times as many goals as Gabby in a whole season. If the deal is right then I can see its merits.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Metro article. Quotes and all.

I'd very much get behind a deal for Carroll. In terms of squad numbers do we have a No. 8 yet? Just curious as it may be for another forward.

Didn't El Ahmadi wear the number 8 for the Burton friendly?

I'd very much get behind a deal for Carroll. In terms of squad numbers do we have a No. 8 yet? Just curious as it may be for another forward.

Pre season numbers mean nothing.

I'd be a bit peeved if we spend £20m on Carroll, especially with his reported 80k a week wages. When we spent a similar sum on Bent, we knew he was a proven goalscorer which made it all worthwhile, Carroll on the other hand hasn't really done a thing to earn such a fee and its Liverpools fault for spending a shitload on him in the first place.

For £20m and 80k a week of the wage budget I'm pretty sure we could get one if not two players that have far greater quality, it just doesn't seem logical, especially after apparent wage crisis.

While technically correct (he could be a different number in every game) I think in reality it's a fair guide as to who is going to get what - and who is going to be first choice.

He is number 8 on offical website. Link

He is number 8 on offical website. Link

Wouldn't go by them until official release, would expect Lowton or Lichjah or a new RB to pick the number 2 off Hutton, Delfouneso and Holman have also been assigned the same number according to that..

I'd be bloody delighted if we signed Carroll. I think Liverpool are mad to sell him. He is finally looking like a good player. THey were bonkers to sign him for £35m but now they have they should stick with him. Bent and Carroll up front would be great.

I'd be bloody delighted if we signed Carroll. I think Liverpool are mad to sell him. He is finally looking like a good player. THey were bonkers to sign him for £35m but now they have they should stick with him. Bent and Carroll up front would be great.

Agree, he's still only 23, would have something to prove where as Owen & Berbatov have already proved themselves in past years.

I'd be a bit peeved if we spend £20m on Carroll, especially with his reported 80k a week wages. When we spent a similar sum on Bent, we knew he was a proven goalscorer which made it all worthwhile, Carroll on the other hand hasn't really done a thing to earn such a fee and its Liverpools fault for spending a shitload on him in the first place.

For £20m and 80k a week of the wage budget I'm pretty sure we could get one if not two players that have far greater quality, it just doesn't seem logical, especially after apparent wage crisis.

I don't think we could attract any other £20m striker to the club tbh. Maybe a couple of cheaper ones but if Lambert really rates Carroll then Randy has to trust his judgement. It will probably mean that the rest of the Downing payment will effectively be getting paid off in one lump rather than over the next couple of years, giving Lambert a bit more in the transfer kitty this summer, with only what, £5m-£10m actual cash outlay to sign him. I doubt he will take a wage cut but if he is going to be first-team regular and is only early 20s then he'd be worth it as much as Bent is.