Shay Given vs Brad Friedel

GasGasGas

Bit dumb getting shot of Brad really and then shelling out massive wages on a more injury prone keeper

Both top top pros though IMHO

Friedel wanted a 2 year contract, we only were willing to offer a 1 year contract, sensible from the club really.

How is it sensible ?

By letting him go we had to shell 3.5m fee for SG + woo him with a 5 year contract worth 12.5m so all in all 16m instead of Giving BF a 2 year extension

Madness & Incompetence of titanic proportions

But then at the end of next season when Friedel retires (possibly) we'd be without a keeper and Given wouldn't be available.

But this way, we've got a keeper of negligible difference to Friedel (imo they're of a similar standard. As I said, Friedel has been better, but he's diminishing, Given isn't, yet) for the next 4 seasons if we want to keep him.

Long term, it was a good decision from the club.

I do think they are quite similar, both don't leave there line for set pieces and can be known to flap. Brad struggled against the likes of Blackburn at times. I think both could take a share of the blame for how dreadful we were at defending set pieces.

Igor Akinfeev > Given > Friedal for me

Random. What's (the hugeley overrated) Akinfeev got to do with anything?

He's good on Football Manager.

In all seriousness, I am a huge fan of Friedel and believe he's the best keeper we've had in the last 30 years. As for Given, he's a decent replacement but not quite as good. Good enough though and still one of the best in the Prem.

Gareth, you look like you're controlling the ball with some sort of telekentic force, and you're about to shoot it towards whoever you're looking at like a Streetfighter fireball

HADUKEN!

I really rate Given and would definitely rate him higher than Brad. Brad has more presence and is obviously a very, very good keeper but Shay is a better all-round footballer with exceptional positional sense and superb reactions. The other thing I always notice about Shay is that he has an unbelievable knack of holding onto a shot, to the point where he rarely parries the ball or spills it. With the possible exception of Bent I think SG is our only genuine outstanding (world class?) player.

• 1 month later...
Why not give siegrist a chance, if given gets injured?

Definately could do with the experience and gametime if we're hoping to keep him for the long term. Watched him in a couple fixtures last season and he looks promising, would do well if thrown in the Carling Cup.

Â