No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

However, what would people say a good first season is ?

Personally 45 pts - and keep us clear of the relegation zone - would be a good solid start.

My real hope is that he gets the best out of gary gardner - who showed very little under AM (not alone there) - but there has to be more to GG - as yet untapped.

I agree. I think that although Villa is a top-half team, we could do with some patience for a good, solid building season. That's not to say, I don't want to see some good football. I think the fans backing of the manager is vital to his efforts to build a team.

45 points and a manager, I believe in, would a great next season. If, on top of that, we could play some football actually worth seeing, I'd be over the moon. 45 points pulled in McLeish-style would not suit me at all.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update there is some misinformation going around that OGS has departed on Mr Lerner's jet, back to Norway.

This information may have been fed to at least one Sky reporter.

Mr.Lerner's jet has gone back to the U.S., with him on board. If OGS is going back it is a fairly long winded and arduous trip with SAS via Copenhagen and Oslo. If he does this, then he will likely take tomorrow morning's Copenhagen flight out of BHX, or go to Oslo from Heathrow.

Trees, do you ever worry that you are breaching some sort of confidentiality rules with your posts?

Wouldn't want you to get sacked!

surely Lerner wouldn't have gone home if it wasn't signed , sealed and delivered ?

I think the opposite. He would only stay until it was signed, sealed & delivered. He's gone because his work is done IMHO.

I don't know why people are so sure that this is a done deal. I would imagine that Randy and Paul set out their vision, explained why they were interested in employing him to enact it, asked him for his initial thoughts, and left it there. I'm slightly surprised that Randy has left - what's Ole doing?

I expect him to head back to Norway this weekend anyway, take charge of Molde and think things through / discuss with his family and come back to us early next week. The idea that it's going to be done tonight is highly fanciful I feel.

I'm also not so certain that he will say yes as some people seem to be. I'd be happy with his appointment - it would be an exciting (if risky) one for sure - but there is another egg related epithet to trot out here and it involves baskets rather than counting. I hope we've sounded out some other candidates too. Lambert remains my first choice unless we have a fair bit of money to spend, and Martinez may yet be available. Let's try to stay in the driving seat and be, as our motto says we are, prepared. This is far from over.

surely Lerner wouldn't have gone home if it wasn't signed , sealed and delivered ?

I think the opposite. He would only stay until it was signed, sealed & delivered. He's gone because his work is done IMHO.

That's what he said.

That's what he said.
You are right. :oops: I'm totally blaming the fact it's Friday evening.

I actually do not think this is happening now, am tempted to lay money against it but also not sure who might be 'second choice'. Cannot see Lambert wanting it now, Martinez has bigger fish to fry and considering we had contacted Molde Tuesday, at that point Whelan was saying nothing from Villa (but contact from Liverpool). Rodgers rejected Liverpool, so no chance there. Little bit concerned who we might be in for as I am pretty convinced it won't be OGS.

so excited about this.

Lambert and Rodgers obviously aren't leaving, Martinez has held Wigan up by the skin of their teeth several yrs running but what of it?

I think this MAY turn out to be a masterstroke, and the footie will be easier on the eyes. Great choice RL, this may very well redeem the last year's errors.

Fantastic

Love that we sent a private jet to bring Solskjaer in. The Blues board told Hughton "Catch the 45 and get off at the Man On The Moon"

Good in terms of the contrast! Solskjaer's supposed to be a modest guy with 'real world' values, though; too much flash might make him uncomfortable.

I don't know why people are so sure that this is a done deal. I would imagine that Randy and Paul set out their vision, explained why they were interested in employing him to enact it, asked him for his initial thoughts, and left it there. I'm slightly surprised that Randy has left - what's Ole doing?

I expect him to head back to Norway this weekend anyway, take charge of Molde and think things through / discuss with his family and come back to us early next week. The idea that it's going to be done tonight is highly fanciful I feel.

This probably isn't the first time, they've talked. I bet he's come over to sign and meet the staff.

Norwegian papers (http://www.tk.no/sporten/article6065320.ece) are reporting Molde saying, they were told of talks two and a half days ago - and they've probably been talking some time before Molde was told ..

Just to update there is some misinformation going around that OGS has departed on Mr Lerner's jet, back to Norway.

This information may have been fed to at least one Sky reporter.

Mr.Lerner's jet has gone back to the U.S., with him on board. If OGS is going back it is a fairly long winded and arduous trip with SAS via Copenhagen and Oslo. If he does this, then he will likely take tomorrow morning's Copenhagen flight out of BHX, or go to Oslo from Heathrow.

Trees, do you ever worry that you are breaching some sort of confidentiality rules with your posts?

Wouldn't want you to get sacked!

Thanks for the concern, but no, I am not breaking any rules.

I broke my own rule by reporting a flight before it happened yesterday, so perhaps need to check myself next time.

I know that the powers that be were aware of my activity around the time of the takeover, and were apparently amused by it. If at any point they are not amused, they are in touch with the VT powers that be and can send a polite request at any time......

At the end of the day the Villa managers job is vacant. There have probably been a few people apply (MM), our board probably have a few people who haven't applied in mind (OGS), they aren't going to just get one guy in and sign him there and then.

OGS has come in, as per the boards request, for an interview and for them to explain the situation and expectations. I reckon we could see a few more names over the next week. So I don't expect anything to be signed and sealed this weekend with OGS. He's in the running and he's had his interview. That's all.

so excited about this.

Lambert and Rodgers obviously aren't leaving, Martinez has held Wigan up by the skin of their teeth several yrs running but what of it?

I think this MAY turn out to be a masterstroke, and the footie will be easier on the eyes. Great choice RL, this may very well redeem the last year's errors.

Fantastic

(if he comes)