Time to unite behind the club?

MikeMcKenna

I was quite surprised to hear Ron Atkinson tonight saying he though Mcleish had not been given the tools to do the job. I really expected better from big ron - just for the record, whilst AM didn't have mega amounts - outside of liverpool , and the big 4 , his funds were comparable.

Strange comment to make.

McLeish is a tool, Grant is a tool and some of the senior players have played like tools so for me there were plenty of tools to do the job!

For me it is now a case of wait and see Mike. Actions speak louder than words or as BFR said dont tell me show me.

The actions of the last 2 or 3 years have been pretty poor. It will take a lot to make that better.

I agree Richard, Randy's next appointment could go two ways, Unite the fans again or disenfranchise some quarters permanently.

I really hope for everyone's sake its the former.

For me it is now a case of wait and see Mike. Actions speak louder than words or as BFR said dont tell me show me.

The actions of the last 2 or 3 years have been pretty poor. It will take a lot to make that better.

I agree Richard, Randy's next appointment could go two ways, Unite the fans again or disenfranchise some quarters permanently.

Agree with both these posts.

This decision to sack McLeish is a start not the end of what is needed.

Second McLeish went, my Season-ticket was purchased.

A) I wanted to give my little nod to say that was what I was waiting for.

B) No-one could be worse than McLeish so we're definitely heading in the right direction - even an awful appointment (like S Bruce) would be better than McLeish

C) I was always resisting urge to buy ticket, any excuse and it was going to be bought.

Unite behind the club now, regardless of appointment. We all have different views but we need to pull as one now. Lambert great, Martinez cool, Ranieri, interesting, Rafa ok - but we all just need to give them the time to settle and build.

The only exception to that rule would be Connor from Wolves which will never happen. I mean come on, getting a recently relegated manager from a local rival... ;)

The club needs to take some learned counsel from decent villa men like Graham Taylor,Ron Atkinson,Ron Saunders or Steve Stride and tap into their vast knowledge and experience .I am sure these gentlemen would be more than willing to assist if asked and then hopefully the club can avoid making the same mistake for a third time!

I agree with the sentiment if not neccessarily the names you mention. More specifically i would like the club to appoint someone with football experience to the board. Not as a Director of Football but purely someone who understands the culture of the game.

As regards the other comments about McLeish's departure only being step 1, I appreciate that appointing the right manager is critical to win the fans back and hope the club have learned their lesson and don't balls it up again.

Ok how can i put it

I was hypothetically speaking slowly moving away from the club as regards my desire to attend games, buy merchandise & generally be bothered in all things AVFC as i had seen all this before. False dreams & a groundhog day kind of effect as regards our ambition, key players leaving, under performing etc etc.

This whilst frustrating was kind of addictive torture to a point although under Ellis' latter years i was rapidly defeating that addiction.

Then Randy came in!

I was coming back to the club & as a former home & away season ticket holding fan of many seasons i was on the brink of purchasing a ST for the 1st time in a decade..But then MON left..so i hesitated.. Then we sold AY & SD, the squad was decimated & Alex came in & i took the decision not to bother..I had seen this before & kind of had an inkling what was coming so i saved my money...How glad i am that i did!!

I went up to a couple of games anyway & OMG! What a load of complete s**t i witnessed.

So i had lost faith in the new regime.. no communication from the board, Krulak disappeared, the football was dire & having endured 25 years of Ellis i was not prepared (no pun intended) to waste more time & money on lack of ambition & broken dreams.

So i was indeed walking away from this club i guess mentally if that makes sense?

Well the statement from Randy today & his actions have made me stop & turn back around..I am listening & watching again & i hope i will be given cause to start walking back to my beloved club once again..

Now give us some hope by appointing the right man this time, somebody who can attract a higher caliber of player to the club so we can challenge once again. Of course it will take a bit of time but lets have a new 5 year plan & this time stick to it hey?

I love the fact that we have a top notch youth set up & young players coming through ..that's great & i hope it continues..but we need some success in the 1st team too!.. Forget the top 2 or 3 places, at least for now, as they are apparently out of reach (although you never know the financial fair play may just yet reduce the chasm) but surely we have to target 4th 5th & 6th?

Show me your ambition matches mine & i will buy a ST again & please do not take this as a shallow threat this is just a fan saying it's about time this great club started fulfilling it's true potential & i need to now see that to make me part with my money in the depths of a recession. I know we are not going to win titles as yet but still there is a standard that needs to be met surely?!

Like Richard I think the smart move is wait. This is certain a step in the right direction (though you could also argue that it was an obscenely simple decision to make and also arguably shouldn't have been one we needed to make in the first place), but you have to acknowledge that the last... 2 years at least, have just not been good enough. Too many mistakes, too many missteps.

The right man, backed smartly this summer... and maybe we can start singing Lerner's praises again. Until then, more to prove.

I agree the easy part was in getting rid of McLeish similar to getting rid of Houllier. The worrying thing is that at the end of last season he only got half the job right and **** up the other part by hiring McLeish. I sincerely hope he has learnt some harsh lessons and gets it right this time.

Agree with both these posts.

This decision to sack McLeish is a start not the end of what is needed.

Agreed and said the same in another post! RL has a lot to do!

Lerner got it wrong with McLeish, but I don't think he can be blamed for Houllier. Long term he would have got it right imo, even if he showed certain first teamers the door. Cabaye and co would all be playing in Claret & Blue by now.

Just out of curiosity, has it not dawned on people that this entire debacle of McCleish was just a ruse? I mean, Randy knew his stock was falling with the fans yes?

So how do you get the fans back on side? Employ the most hated man in B6 and put restraints on wages, sell your best players from underneath him, tell him not to renew any contracts above say 20K and tell him to get us into europe along the way?

I think it has been the biggest PR stunt ever! An added bonus is the fact that that ginger muppet will never get a job on these shores ever again! It is utter genius as far as I am concerned, or have I got an over active imagination? You decide but I bet I am right!!!!!!!

Getting rid of McLeish is definitely a step in the right direction, but as others have mentioned, Randy simply has to sign the right guy this time, and fairly quickly. I don't think anybody wants another summer of uncertainty at this stage, especially considering the current state of our squad.

Also - as something funny, yet bizarre, if you Google for 'Aston Villa Manager', it says in giant text: Martin O'Neill Aston Villa F.C., Manager. What do Google know that we don't? ;) :!:

Â