All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

He also stressed the need for the Church to dialogue with atheists and agnostics who agree with the church's social codes.

He spoke of the possibility of forming an "alliance" based on a common respect for the "law of nature," in reference to the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

Woah, that is scarey, be interesting to see how many alliances with right wing parties across Europe he manages to pull off

There are atheists and agnostics who do believe that there's no need for same-sex marriage to be legalised, but the reasons for them thinking that way is totally different from the Catholic Church's rationale behind their position. Some of them see nothing particularly "sacred" about marriage and thus don't believe that there's a need for marriage (look at the popularity of civil unions in places like France, even among heterosexual couples), I've even seen some talk about how marriage should be eschewed because it's an instrument of religion. These are completely antithetical to the Church's pontifications about the "sanctity of marriage" and the references to the Bible they use.

I don't think there are a lot of atheists/agnostics(etc etc) who care about the issue anywhere near as deeply as the Pope and his crew do though, so I don't see how there could be an alliance between the two groups, even a tenuous one, because the motivation just isn't there. (Stand to be corrected on this one)

My two cents.

Woah, that is scarey, be interesting to see how many alliances with right wing parties across Europe he manages to pull off

His church do have previous for supporting a fascist regime (and I don't just mean this pope personally).

The Catholic church are so corrupt and downright **** evil, they make the mafia look like the brownies. If they were a company they'd have been closed down and their leaders put in jail a long, long time ago.

He also stressed the need for the Church to dialogue with atheists and agnostics who agree with the church's social codes.

He should start with speaking to someone who can explain to him that "dialogue" is not a verb. That would be a better use of his time.

The Catholic church are so corrupt and downright **** evil, they make the mafia look like the brownies. If they were a company they'd have been closed down and their leaders put in jail a long, long time ago.

Genuine question: why so? I know very little about Catholic history. It can't be about their core tenets/beliefs, because there is a difference between having a misguided moral code and being corrupt.

How long have you got?

You'd be here for a week if we went through their nefarious activities.

Ha, just pick a few.

Remember, it's corruption, not just immoral actions. That narrows the field down.

Others on here have a much better grasp on history that I, so I'll leave it to them to get into the nitty gritty, but if you want the historical then you should read up on the events leading up to the reformation (Martin Luther etc) as corruption in the church was a huge factor in the split. This, remember, was when church/state were one of the same.

In modern memory you could look at their deals with fascist regimes (anything but communism, was their view) or the grisly, reprehensible business with the child sex abuse scandal(s) over here.

So the Pope believes that believers and infidels alike should team up in support of supporting "natural law" huh ?

Just one problem with that is we are not the only species who engage in homosexual behaviour , thus there is nothing more natural than homosexuality.

I see them as being a little like Starbucks, you get a loyalty card, they have branches in every city and they pay knob all tax.

• 1 month later...

How long have you got?

You'd be here for a week if we went through their nefarious activities.

Ha, just pick a few.

Remember, it's corruption, not just immoral actions. That narrows the field down.

The fact that for an organisation allegedly based on the equality of men in the eyes of God, whose priests swear vows of poverty and chastity they have billions, and I mean billions in cash, property, art as well as a worrying penchant for **** choir boys.

The world would be a far finer place without them.

Â