All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

What a thing the internet is ?

When it was originally put together I am certain they had no idea it would lead to Villa based websites that would be home to posts like the last two.

And that is frankly marvellous.

Makes you proud to be human.

• Like 2

Perhaps because those who believe in love don't preach about its existence, they don't stand on corners handing out leaflets about it (not since the 60's anyway) or knock on peoples doors to try and convert them to being believers. They don't fight wars over it, kill over it, commit genocide over it or on a more day to day level try and indoctrinate, dominate and influence the lives of other and society as a whole with it.

You raise some excellent points you really do.

But personally I think that there are quite sizable differences in the two, though both fundamentally the same and that results in the different treatment.

Love is a feeling and yes while religion can also be seen as such there is far more to it, there is a belief in something physical in the embodiment of God's son here on earth. Now if people who believed in love also believe in cupid and his bow and arrow or they started shutting shops on Tuesdays because it was Cupid's day of rest that attitudes might be more closely aligned. P

Anyway... I feel the need to end this post with the words of the great philosopher Hawkins, Justin Hawkins that is....

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart
There's a chance we could make it now
We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down
I believe in a thing called love
Ooh!

That post was going so well, until the last 6 lines. :puke:

The only people I know who are active and preachy about their religion are those that were complete asshole people when they were growing up.

I think they must have had a bad experience, because they certainly weren't God botherers before..

I read the bit where Eve talks to the snake.

I saw a sketch on TV and without going into a long story I looked up the part where Eve talks to the snake......what a load of bollocks.She actually has a conversation with it ?! I have not seen a live snake ( except in the zoo ) but if I ever do the last thing I am going to do is sit down and have a chat.

During my Uni years I was going through a period where I wanted to understand as many sides of everything as I could and I made an attempt to read the bible cover to cover.

I got a hundred pages or so in but couldn't stay the course. Main reason was it felt like I was reading a children's book and no matter how much I tried to look past that and read the "lessons" it just felt like I was reading a really, really, really long children's book and I could probably spend my time doing something better.

Years on and now I read lots of children's books (to my child) and they are much more fun.

Edited by villaglint

It is a flawed question. Love is a feeling, religion is a belief in the existence of far more than a feeling.

Religion is a feeling too.

No it isn't it might cause feelings but at the heart of it there is a core belief(s) there is a difference. As I said previously if people who believe in love also believed in Cupid you might have a point.

Â