General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Look I think we can all agree that any managerial appointment would be a risk.

I don’t think anyone could criticise the club for taking what would amount to an informed gamble on Lambert, Rodgers or Martinez.

All of them to different degrees have shown enough ability to suspect they can go on to better things. And for all of them Villa represents a step up.

Any appointment can go wrong. Look at Chelsea and AVB, Inter and Benitez. While we are on the other end of the spectrum the job requires just as much skill.

We just have to be sure that the clubs liability is reduced if the worst case scenario arises. Contracts should contain performance related bonuses, and below 40 pts release clauses and to be fair a minimum release clause.

If anyone is against the appointment of any of Lambert, Rodgers or Martinez. could you please explain why? and explain who you would appoint and why?

I am all for Martinez because of the way his teams play football. He started all the good work at Swansea and his work at Wigan is nothing short of miraculous. Wigan always play neat and tidy football and he has a style and ethos that he sticks to. When the chips were down at Wigan rather than do a mcleish and put 9 behind the ball he changed to 3-4-3 formation and had a go.

Rodgers has also had a similar career path. has been on the coaching staff at a big club and has managed small teams on low budgets and agin like Martinez has a nice style of football and does not change it.

Rodgers and Martinez also come across well in the media.

Lambert is a no for me, I dont like the man at all. he has a dour attitude and comes across as miserable and unispiring.

I dont like his style of play at all, its very direct and I though apart from Blackburn that Norwich were one of the most shambolic teams at VP this year.

I dont another miserable dour scottish manager at VP and while he would be better than McLeish I dont think he can take us forward.

I would be disappointed with Lambert being appointed.

I think you may be underestimating Lambert and his style of play.

This may be an interesting read for you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/13/paul-lambert-norwich-swansea

Very interesting.

As I said his style is direct. The article says Norwichs approach is more direct, getting the ball wide and getting it in the box.

Its very similar to MONs style of play when Milner and Young were wide having Gabby and Carew in the middle. Lambert may be more adept at altering the formation but the direct style never changes much.

Hasnt changed my mind, I dont like his style of play, more importantly I dont like the man himself. When I see him interviewed there is something about him I dont like.His persona grates me and I would still rather have Martinez or Rodgers over him.

I would take Poyet, Steve Clarke & Commolli as a management team.

commolli? the guy who negotiated 35 mill for Carroll? the guy who gave us 20mill for Downing? what has he ever done to justify appearing on peoples wish lists??

Modric and Bale for Spurs are two that spring to mind.

And Carroll for £35M might just turn out to be a good bit of business, he WILL come good, of that I have no doubt - a far better all round footballer than Bent, that's for sure.

And when you couple him with Suarez, they make a decent swap for Torres, which, after all is what the deal worked out as.

I would welcome Comolli with open arms, probably just what we need, someone on the Senior Management team of the club that actually knows something about the game.

We need someone like Comolli to buy in players like Newcastle and Tottenham have been doing.. Cheap players that don't command massive wages but are absolute World beaters.

commolli? the guy who negotiated 35 mill for Carroll? the guy who gave us 20mill for Downing? what has he ever done to justify appearing on peoples wish lists??

tottingham?

Laughing my nuts off at the Liverplop fans on talkshite. Most of em sound like they are gonna burst out crying. Yes I agree he was Liverpool, but as I told my Liverpool fan mate, he was utter shite and had the PR skills of Houllier.

Let's just say the purchase of Modric was Commioli, the purchase of Bale was Commioli! Enough said. As for Poyet moving onto bigger and better things, bloody hell we must be in the shit if we're not a step up to Norwich, Wigan or bloody Brighton.

We need someone like Comolli to buy in players like Newcastle and Tottenham have been doing.. Cheap players that don't command massive wages but are absolute World beaters.

Not many of them around. We'd have to take a risk on a few players and hope they turn up good.

McTrix.jpg

:lol: :|

It won't happen, but lets just say I won't be lay betting it like last time either.

Me neither. I lost £700. The odds kept getting shorter, I kept laying. That's how much I didn't believe it would happen.

I don't bet anymore.

Nobody's going to be lay betting after what happened last time. I didn't do any betting myself but it was horrible watching it unfold. We were all sitting here saying "haha, let's lay the **** out of McLeish. Randy will never appoint him" and then days later he's holding a Villa scarf in front of the Holte.

And it will be nice to sign someone that doesn't cause 2000 people to roll up at VP and either greet in celebration, or protest against!

Why don't you want someone who will be greeted in celebration by the fans?

Because I would rather celebrate someone's achievements as manager of Aston Villa, rather than following a misguided belief that it is an achievement for the club that someone has joined us in the first place.

Carroll at £35m will never be a good bit of business. Wouldn't mind seeing Comolli here though, as it does appear as if a lot of Liverpool's shit signings were down to Dalglish.

Liverpool mate of mine is of the opinion the American owners were pretty much falling over themselves to accept Newcastle's ludicrous opening price tag to give the signing more "marquee value" after losing Torres.

McTrix.jpg

:lol: :|

It won't happen, but lets just say I won't be lay betting it like last time either.

Me neither. I lost £700. The odds kept getting shorter, I kept laying. That's how much I didn't believe it would happen.

I don't bet anymore.

Luckily I got cold feet and good odds. Dread to think how much I'd have lost if I hadn't backed him to cover myself the day before it was announced. :shock:

Brendan Rodgers for me. He has worked with Mourinho and that man thinks the world of him. Besides that, anyone who can get Swansea's Championship players into the Premier League, competing against World class opposition whilst having average players with ball retention stats and pass completion stats to rival Barcelona, well, he will do for me.

I don't reckon that Rodgers is ready to quit Swansea just Yet, but I feel that Lambert fancies a new challenge and hopefully it is with us, I think that Martinez has decided that we are not his next step.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3774/the-sweeper/2012/04/21/3050407/the-sweeper-sacked-comolli-frustrated-by-liverpools-buy

'The club's former Director for Football who left Anfield earlier this month felt the Reds should have pursued foreign talent rather than homegrown youngsters preferred by Dalglish'

He wanted Juan Mata at Liverpool before chelsea bought him..Blame those signings on Kenny. Comolli was forced to sign British players. If he really had full control of Liverpool's transfer dealings, they would not have ended up with downing,carroll,adam,henderson and every other shit player thy signed.

I think you'll find he takes the credit, but whether he actually 'scouted' them is another matter.

wow he wanted Mata did he? What a visionary. Mate every top club in europe was sniffing round the bloke last summer!

He sells himself very well, that much is obvious . Said Spurs signing Berbatov was his doing, when apparantly it was all set up by Frank Arneson.

Wenger according to an article in the Guardian cant stand the bloke, who tried claiming credit for signing Henry, Vieira, Pires etc....when the only recommendation of his they actually followed through was Clichy.

As for Spurs, well everyone ITK at Spurs apparantly says he only discovered Benoît Assou-Ekotto, the rest he just takes the credit for.

Yes Dalglish picked the players (with his input no doubt), but Commoli negotiated the fees. Yes, 35 mill for Carrol, the most insane overpriced transfer in premiership history was his doing.

No thanks, though we do need someone who knows the transfer market, knows every league in europe inside out, and knows where the bargains are and how to get the deals done. Every penny we have to spend these next couple of seasons needs to be spent incredibly wisely else we are into the abyss i fear.