General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

best manager available would be benitez in my opinion(but i think he would not come to us due to Lerner's lack of investment clause).

he has always overachieved with underdogs.

got a couple of small spanish clubs promoted, won CL with a n average liverpool side, won uefa cup and 2 spanish leagues with valencia.

he is exactly what we need.

more likely we'll get someone like Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy. wouldnt mind Hughton, although i could see many villa fans going mental over another brum manager

The short odds on lennon, and Ince worry me. Lambert i would be most happy with - i just hope villa have the nous to land him.

Martinez would worry me - i just don't see why he is so rated - his wigan team seem permanently around the relegation zone - and he cant organise a defence. I don't see him as a strong character - to deal with the big egos which he will encounter at bigger clubs. I think he is highly probable though.

Gus poyet -would seem like less experienced lambert - who would no doubt jump at the chance to manage villa, would be reasonably popular with the fans - apart from no prem experience - he ticks a lot of boxes

DI MATTEO!!!!

We'll all totally be behind him and Villa Park will become a fortress again. AVFC FTW

No they wouldn't he isn't that good. League form hasn't been that impressive, plus the chelsea "in boys" like him so will play for him. Think he would get walked over.

Is there a proven winning manager available that is obtainable and not Claudio Ranieri?

Problem with a 'proven winner', is that if they've won something they were likely at a big club already when they won it.

Which raises two points, did they win because of their own management skill? or because they happened to be able to buy a shed load of players. (something we're unlikely to do)

Secondly, why are they no longer at said big club? Usually because they subsequently failed at the job.

I'd rather take an up and coming talent any day.

Schimon was one of the stallwarts of the Makabi Tel Aviv side who won countless championships in Israel, and most capped (?) national team player. Is 41 years old right now, and has taken his team from nothing to champions within 4 - 5 years with a 13 point clearance at the top, mostly from local kids. You may all think it is nothing special in Israel, but he has broken the dominance of the top 4 there as could not be even imagined. Guy is certainly a winner, and gets the very best out of players, even in a tiny town (23000). really is an astonishing achievement. As mentioned, prem may be a bit early for him right now, but the man is certainly destined to be one of the great managers of the comming generation, much better than any or all of the scottish managers put together (IMO). Nothing against scottish people there, but this guy is really of a different class.

well in the statement the club said they want a young and enthusiastic manager to go with the young and enthusiastic squad. no bad thing IMO, this would rule out...

rafa

ranieri

mcarthy

curbishley

hoddle

...and anyone else over 50 odd i'd say. i reckon they'll enquire after martinez, rodgers and lambert for sure. norwich don't want to let lambert go, rodgers says he's committed to swansea and martinez already knocked us back to sign a new contract at wigan.

so who does that realistically leave us as a young and enthusiastic manager?

well in the statement the club said they want a young and enthusiastic manager to go with the young and enthusiastic squad. no bad thing IMO, this would rule out...

rafa

ranieri

mcarthy

curbishley

hoddle

...and anyone else over 50 odd i'd say. i reckon they'll enquire after martinez, rodgers and lambert for sure. norwich don't want to let lambert go, rodgers says he's committed to swansea and martinez already knocked us back to sign a new contract at wigan.

so who does that realistically leave us as a young and enthusiastic manager?

Steve Kean

i could see many villa fans going mental over another brum manager
Doubt it. I expect a very small minority of fans would be upset by it, but that's all. Obviously the media would make a massive deal out of it and if ever Hughton did do poorly (I don't think he'd do anywhere near as bad as McLeish personally) they'd wave away any criticism of him and just say that Villa fans aren't happy "because of where he came from". This is actually the reason why I kind of don't want Hughton, not because I don't rate him or because he comes from them but because we'd never hear the end of his SHA connections in the media. I'm just sick to death of hearing about them over these past 11 months.

Its inevitable we'll be linked with everyone and his dog. Hopefully, Lerner will receive better advice than the last time instead of going for the one 'most likely to lick his arse'.

Interesting to see Ranieri touting himself, but he's too old and RL does'nt need another Houllier type situation.

I reckon its down to Lambert or Martinez. FSW is still a attractive possibility for me, but he would have to be given certain financial assurances and no way is Lerner going to dig THAT deep.

Ranieri doesn't have any health problems that I'm aware of?

Martinez never signed the contract offered last summer. and only has a verbal agreement with whelan. I posted a link about this last week - google it if you want to check.

I think what villa will want to avoid is the public rejection - which means every other manager knowsheis second choice. If lambert or martinez made it known they were interested -then villa would be receptive. But they may move poyet who ticks most of the boxes villa want........and would be unlikley to turn us down