General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I think Rodgers will be found out next season, he's playing with Martinez's style and pre-work. Lambert is a bit dour but I'm sure would be a good fit for Villa, a man on the up. Martinez was wanted last season, I honestly cannot see why the Villa wouldn't want him again this season, and I reckon he'll jump at the chance. Rafa, been out of the game for over a year now, why? Same with the likes of Curbishley and Hoddle, why? There has to be a reason. I'd be happy with Lambert, Martinez. Too early for Gus Poyet and Paulo Di Canio. Holloway could be fun but risky and risky is NOT what Randy will do next.

Glen Hoddle for me still think he is a great coach with something to prove .

Can't see it being Lambert because of the likeness to ONeil but wouldn't mind him .

Martinez think he has bigger fish to fry than us and him turning us down can't see them going back in for him .

Poyet would be interesting my gut feel keeps telling me its going to be Lee Clarke

I'd actually be happy with any of them mentioned(apart from hoddle), except as a former Wolves manager, i don't think Hoddle would be touched.

I hate Holloway after what he said about Villa, anyway he won't be on the radar. The early rumblings about Lambert won't have come out of nothing, he's my favourite for the time being.

FWIW I would love another Houllier type, as in a big European name who could get some foreign talent in, Ranieri would be good but whoever it is I hope he gets to gut the whole team out. **** me it needs it.

I agree. We need somebody to carry on what Houllier started but at the same time deliver acceptable results. Now we ended up fine in 9th in 10/11 but the brush with relegation was not acceptable. Maybe with a full pre-season and a chance to get their own players in it could work this time?

MYSTERYMAN wrote:

Glen Hoddle for me still think he is a great coach with something to prove .

Can't see it being Lambert because of the likeness to ONeil but wouldn't mind him .

Martinez think he has bigger fish to fry than us and him turning us down can't see them going back in for him .

Poyet would be interesting my gut feel keeps telling me its going to be Lee Clarke

Lee Clarke! I'd rather have Ranieri than some division two cast off.

Rogers or Martinez would be good too see. Really impressed with the way both teams have stuck to their passing game throughout the season. Would be good to see the youngsters at villa taught how to play this way.

Saying that now 'MacLeish' has gone I'll be happy with anyone. The last season was like a nightmare that wouldn't end. But now it's over :)

I'm unsure about Rodgers. He's found his place for the time being. Don't forget he struggled before he went here.

The difficulty is a lot of what a manager can bring to a club is behnd the scenes. Who would have known Wenger/Moyes or even Pardew would be the (relative) successes they have turned out to be? This is why the populist choice is not always the right choice, and why it is absolutely vital to have 'football people' in charge of the decision making.

The first thing I would say is that WHOEVER gets the job will need time! Why because we have a mish-mash of players which results in our squad not really favouring any particular style! Our midfield is rather slow and rather lightweight meaning counter attacking and defensive styles aren't really going to help. Our defense is slow and technically poor, meaning if we played an attacking passing style, defensively we would be extremely vulnerable (as proved by Houllier's reign).

Our Strikers are a mixed bag, Gabby is dangerous on the counter but has fluffed most of his one on ones this season. Bent is a fox in the box in the Andy Cole mould (in that he needs a 3 or 4 chances to put one away), but has the natural insticnts to sniff out the chances plus some pace so would suit any style really. Weimann is a fox in the box too, but a fine shooter from outside the box also, as well as an extremely hard worker, but doesn't have the pace Bent has so isn't really suited to playing on the counter unless he is with a speed merchant.

So what it comes down to for me is who are the players that need to be off loaded. Why, because when you look at the players left you will have a better idea which direction is best to take. Once you do this it becomes clear as to the direction we should be heading in.

Players to be off loaded (ideally) Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Hutton! Basically our first choice defence. So what we are left with is a midfield with two natural playmakers (Bannan and Gardner) and a quality (suppossedly - still not convinced) flamboyant midfielder (Ireland). Plus Makoun (better suited to a more measured style of play), Delph (a lightweight attack minded central midfielder that flies into the tackles), and Herd (our only tough tackling athletic midfielder). Then we have N'Zogbia, who's best form has been under Martinez's Wigan and Albrighton. Not only that all the players I have mentioned are under 27 with the exception of Makoun.

I haven't mentioned Petrov as to be honest I think he's finished at this level(hate to say it)! My uncle died from the same form of Leukemia Petrov has, he overcame it twice, until the third time took his life. His energy levels after the first bout never got near what they were pre-leukemia. Chemtherapy destroys the body and even if you can rebuld your body afterwards its a long process. Throw the fact Petrov is 32 with only a year on is contract and has always faded badly in the second half of games make pretty grim reading really.

So with the above as my basis I have reasoned that a fluent passing attacking style would be the best direction to go with. So that rules out Rafa and Lambert for me. Martinez, AVB, Rodgers, Poyet and Di Matteo of the names mentioned make the most sense.

Lambert's career, interviewing style and demeanor, and his team's playing style have led me to label him 'MON mark 2'. Thats no bad thing, but his teams approach is hard work, playing at a blistering pace, always looking for the counter. But if you squeeze the space and cut off supply to the front men there is no penetration, and a lack of the patience and guile needed to take control of the game. So to me this would be a backwards step!