General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Right, I am NOT ITK and not 100% sure how reliable this is (although the guy worships Benitez!) but I've been informed he is in Madrid on holiday so that looks like it could be a no go.

Again, with respect, you have no experience of how PL operates, we have 3 years on you.

Secondly, you have no idea how Norwich deal with speculation, I have 53 years on you.

How Villa operate I haven't a clue nor would I have the arrogance to compare our two clubs.

I'm confident Lambert will remain our manager....I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Still confident he will stay at NCFC?

Right, I am NOT ITK and not 100% sure how reliable this is (although the guy worships Benitez!) but I've been informed he is in Madrid on holiday so that looks like it could be a no go.

a quick break before he gets back into it perhaps ??

lets face it - he could be back in under 3 hours if he got the call !?!

Norwich fan here. Have been following this thread with interest over the last few days due to the amount of speculation linking Lambert to the post.

For what its worth I don;t quite share the confidence of Wiz that Lambert wouldn't take the Villa job if it was on the table, principally because he is hugely ambitious and I think he might see it as a potential stepping stone to one of the big 4 or 5 in due course. I have no doubt that is where he will end up at some point as he is a fantastic manager who has done far more than Martinez or Rodgers but is more low key media wise so doesn't get the same level of hype.

That said he is in a great position at Norwich and may be reluctant to risk that for a job where he appears not to have been first choice and where Villa seem to have waited until other options have not come off before moving for him (if indeed they have). You will also have our chief executive to get past and he (and a couple of the other board members) are very hard nosed individuals. If we do receive an official approach it would not surprise me at all if it is simply turned down flat. Interesting times ahead.

Norwich fan here. Have been following this thread with interest over the last few days due to the amount of speculation linking Lambert to the post.

For what its worth I don;t quite share the confidence of Wiz that Lambert wouldn't take the Villa job if it was on the table, principally because he is hugely ambitious and I think he might see it as a potential stepping stone to one of the big 4 or 5 in due course. I have no doubt that is where he will end up at some point as he is a fantastic manager who has done far more than Martinez or Rodgers but is more low key media wise so doesn't get the same level of hype.

That said he is in a great position at Norwich and may be reluctant to risk that for a job where he appears not to have been first choice and where Villa seem to have waited until other options have not come off before moving for him (if indeed they have). You will also have our chief executive to get past and he (and a couple of the other board members) are very hard nosed individuals. If we do receive an official approach it would not surprise me at all if it is simply turned down flat. Interesting times ahead.

Smithy, welcome to the board.

I have no love for Norwich due to my Suffolk roots. But you have written a very fair post.

I just have a couple of questions for you if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) Is it true PL has a rolling 12 month contract?

2) Do you think he would resign his post to further his career, whether that be for Villa or somewhere else?

3) What is his playing style?

Cheers

I have no love for Norwich due to my Suffolk roots. But you have written a very fair post.

2) Do you think he would resign his post to further his career, whether that be for Villa or somewhere else?

Cheers

I'd like to know this too, in detail preferably :D

I'm still wondering who this third candidate is. Benitez? RDM? Poyet? Laudrup? AVB?
Dont worry about the "third man", dont worry about why OGS is not manager, dont worry about Benitez.

I reckon Benitez............. and for me he's a total no-brainer....... what a gaffer he'd be down Villa

All the waiters down at the BMH cafe would be out of a job thats for certain

Lambert is hardly vibrant, compelling or exciting

So if it's him those words were either just plucked from a dictionary or it's more club spin and assuming the fans are all retards

Cheers

1. That is my understanding although nobody really knows too much about the finer details. My understanding is that there is always 12 months remaining. I presume the reason he signed a new one was that we gave him a pay rise not because the old one needed renewing.

2. He resigned from Colchester to join us so yes in theory if the offer was good enough. Mind you our chief exec and chairman would know all about that so i would be surprised if there was not a degree of protection in his contract to cater for the scenario. He also had the job in the bag before he did it as Col U let us talk to him the dispute was over compensation. Whilst i am sure some on here would disagree i also think he has a lot more to lose now as manager of a prem club, with a very secure job and a club with decent potential if we can stay up again this year. We will be debt free and looking to expand the ground as we have the fanbase to get bigger crowds. obviously I am biased but to me Col U to norwich was a no-brainer at the time. I don't think Norwich to Villa in the current circumstances is as easy a call.

3. I wouldn't say we have one playing style. he is pragmatic and tends to change the team/formation/style depending on who we are playing. We play some lovely passing stuff at times whereas in other games we have gone much more direct and physical. In general though we are pretty attacking and the one thing we don't tend to do is play for a draw hence the number of goals we let in last season. That said we did have chronic injury problems at CB for most of the season.

1. That is my understanding although nobody really knows too much about the finer details. My understanding is that there is always 12 months remaining. I presume the reason he signed a new one was that we gave him a pay rise not because the old one needed renewing.

2. He resigned from Colchester to join us so yes in theory if the offer was good enough. Mind you our chief exec and chairman would know all about that so i would be surprised if there was not a degree of protection in his contract to cater for the scenario. He also had the job in the bag before he did it as Col U let us talk to him the dispute was over compensation. Whilst i am sure some on here would disagree i also think he has a lot more to lose now as manager of a prem club, with a very secure job and a club with decent potential if we can stay up again this year. We will be debt free and looking to expand the ground as we have the fanbase to get bigger crowds. obviously I am biased but to me Col U to norwich was a no-brainer at the time. I don't think Norwich to Villa in the current circumstances is as easy a call.

3. I wouldn't say we have one playing style. he is pragmatic and tends to change the team/formation/style depending on who we are playing. We play some lovely passing stuff at times whereas in other games we have gone much more direct and physical. In general though we are pretty attacking and the one thing we don't tend to do is play for a draw hence the number of goals we let in last season. That said we did have chronic injury problems at CB for most of the season.

Only 3 posts and he thinks he can come on here and make sensible, reasoned arguments.. Fecking Canaries :)

Welcome Smithy. More people like you are always welcome.

Cheers

Thanks Smithy.

Really interesting on the playing side.

Obviously I disagree with Norwich to Villa not being a no brainer haha. However, I wonder if Lambert might worry about second season syndrome and his stock falling. If Norwich were struggling then what is the best job he can hope for after that?

I think a lot will depend on the package Villa offer him. If there are a good level of funds I think he will use us as his next stepping stone to the top.

Lambert is hardly vibrant, compelling or exciting

So if it's him those words were either just plucked from a dictionary or it's more club spin and assuming the fans are all retards

Yeah sadly this. Got to give the guy a chance but I just feel the board have played it all far too cautiously if PL gets the job.