General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I'm not that fussed with Lambert but Wiz, if you think he's definitely staying because of some random article about next season you're living in cloud canary land.

What do you expect him to do, avoid all questions on what happens next season just in case he's offered a job?

From what I've seen and heard he's been nothing but cagey and evasive on questions regarding his future. Which would annoy me if I were a Norwich fan. If he's offered the job (with Norwich's approval of course) I believe he will take it. Big if though at the moment.

can someone post that story from mail cant get on the site? thanks

The next Aston Villa manager? Roberto Martinez and Paul Lambert Villa’s optimistic timeframe for making an appointment suggests they are now at an advanced stage with their chosen candidate.

They are believed to have received positive encouragement from both the Martinez and Lambert camps, but would still need permission from the respective clubs to speak to either manager, while there would also be the matter of compensation to discuss further down the line.

Martinez, who has also been courted by Liverpool, met the Anfield club’s backers, the Fenway Sports Group, in Miami last week and is understood to have spoken to them yesterday.

But it is believed he was put off by the restricted responsibilities in the management structure the Merseyside club were proposing. Liverpool’s American owners want to employ a director of football and have reportedly sounded out experienced Dutchman Louis van Gaal about the role.

Brendan Rodgers, who is also admired by the Villa hierarchy, has taken over from Martinez as the bookmakers’ favourite to replace Kenny Dalglish at Anfield.

Rodgers met his Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins for talks about his future yesterday, although the Welsh club insist it was a routine meeting and Liverpool were not discussed.

Villa, meanwhile, are offering their new boss a more conventional managerial post which is believed to appeal to Martinez and Lambert, who prefer total control over football matters

You missed the 1st page

Aston Villa are hopeful of announcing their new manager by the start of next week – with Wigan’s Roberto Martinez and Norwich’s Paul Lambert prominent in their thinking.

Repair your Bad Credit - Apply to Vanquis It has been 16 days since Alex McLeish was sacked and, ideally, the claret and blues would want to appoint his successor by Friday.

But it hinges on potential developments in the next 48 hours.

Martinez’s advisors met with the claret and blues late last week to talk about the vacancy following McLeish’s sacking on May 14 and, contrary to previous reports, Villa have also taken soundings about Norwich boss Lambert.

There is a third name still under consideration as Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner continue to play their cards close to their chests.

Martinez has been on Villa’s wish list since just under a year ago when he spurned the claret and blues’ advances to stay loyal to Wigan.

The 38-year-old former Swansea manager still ticks Villa’s boxes this summer as they search for an emerging, progressive young boss.

So too does Lambert who has impressed Lerner and Faulkner with successive promotions and Premier League consolidation at Carrow Road.

I cannot really pick between Lambert & Martinez. But because I hate Norfolk and Wiz is getting on my tits, I would get a little more satisfaction with it being Lambert.

Petty, I know but hey!

Aw, I'm deeply hurt my friend. :(

I cannot really pick between Lambert & Martinez. But because I hate Norfolk and Wiz is getting on my tits, I would get a little more satisfaction with it being Lambert.

Petty, I know but hey!

Aw, I'm deeply hurt my friend. :(

I meant no offence :winkold:

Think 3rd name could be just designed to keep people guessing. If he's said two names, it would be pretty obvious who they were (if we believe Kendrick et al)

I agree with this and MM. If Kendrick has named Lambert & Martinez as the likely lads then it will be one of these.

Interestingly, both Wigan & Norwich forums don't think their managers would take the Villa job. I wonder which lot will be in disbelief when one actually does?

I have a sneaky feeling who plan A is. Would prefer Lambert over Martinez, but to be honest just want somebody in the job now to begin work in sorting out the mess.
Who do you think it is?

To be fair to Wiz he does have a point, Norwich are a monster of a club, great history with a massive 2 major trophies in their 109 year history, huge fanbase with a stunning, modern stadium. Why on earth would Lambert wanna come to a shoddy, tinpot club like Villa?!

I have a sneaky feeling who plan A is. Would prefer Lambert over Martinez, but to be honest just want somebody in the job now to begin work in sorting out the mess.
Who do you think it is?

I think it's AVB. I'm as ITK as the majority of those pricks on Twitter - IE. I'm not. But there are things a pointers that just make me wonder.

We were linked pretty heavily to him in Portugal along with Liverpool.

Obviously Villa have leaked this to Kendrick before he's off on his holidays. Why keep the third name to themselves? They don't want an OGS situation - they want to keep it calm. AVB is a 'name' of sorts. He matches what they said they wanted, it'd excite. Also, if they aim to get it done by Friday (especially the speed we do things) then it needs to be someone out of work IMO.

Just a few little hints. I'm probably wrong and we'll end up with Mad Mick.