General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

not sure on Martinez but would give the guy the time he needs........... I just think if he starts bringing most the Wigan players with him were not gonna get up the table fast, so im hoping hes got bigger ideas than that...................

Martínez's move to Wigan was not without controversy. Many Swansea fans were upset that he had chosen to leave the club despite his previous comments that he would have to be "forced out" to leave the club, and he was subsequently nicknamed "El Judas" by some fans.[31][32] Martínez explained that his decision had been a difficult one to make, but felt the opportunity to manage in the Premier League at the club where he began his English footballing career was too good to turn down.[33] His first league game as Wigan manager was an away fixture against Aston Villa on 15 August 2009. Wigan won the match 2–0,[34] and was the first season they had won an opening game in the Premier League.[35]

However, in his first home game, the team slumped to a 1–0 defeat to newly-promoted Wolverhampton Wanderers, and this was followed by a 5–0 defeat against Manchester United, despite being 0–0 at half time. This inconsistency set the tone for Martínez's first season in charge, with home wins against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, but also a series of heavy defeats. This included a 9–1 defeat away to Tottenham Hotspur on 22 November 2009, a club record defeat for Wigan, and the first time that a Premier League side had scored nine goals in a single match since Manchester United beat Ipswich Town 9–0 in 1995.[36] On the final day of the season Wigan suffered another heavy defeat losing 8–0 to Chelsea, a result which gave their opponents the Premier League title. The club finished the season in 16th place, thus avoiding relegation, but they had a goal difference of -42, which was the worst in the Premier League.

On 26 October 2010, Martínez faced his former club Swansea in the League Cup. Martínez received a hostile reception from Swansea fans as Wigan won the match 2–0.[32] On 10 June 2011, it was announced that Martínez had turned down an approach from Aston Villa regarding their vacant managerial position,[37] and had signed a new contract with Wigan.

After a good start to the 2011–12 campaign, Wigan suffered eight straight defeats to leave them at the bottom of the league.[38] Between August and February, Wigan won a mere four games, leading to predictions that relegation to the Championship would be inevitable for Wigan.[38] However, as the end of the season approached, Wigan's form improved dramatically as they recorded wins against Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle among others. This late rally, which involved seven wins in nine games, led to Wigan finishing 15th in the league - seven points clear of relegation - and also saw Martínez awarded his first Premier League Manager of the Month Award for April 2012.[38]

A quick overview I read of Martinez' time at wigan...... doesnt make great reading...... great results outweighed by huge defeats and long winless runs.......... should fit in fine down Villa ! :)

Martinez is so overrated right now, cant believe Liverpool want him. He'll be gone by Christmas. Come crawling back to bottom of the table Wigan and get relegated only to narrowly miss out on the playoffs and Dave Whelan will realize he is not the 2nd coming and sack him.

My word for today is "waiting."

Randy talked to OGS, then b*ggered it up by "waiting."

Randy is now "waiting" in hope that Martinez will turn down L'pool, but "waiting" probably means that if he doesn't go to L'pool he'll announce that he's staying to finish his project at Wigan.

Randy is "waiting" to see if Di Matteo is offered the Chelsea job, mistakenly thinking that because Chelsea won the big one RDM is now a big name.

Randy is "waiting" to see how fans react to the rumour of giving the job to KMac (that should be a short wait) before reluctantly approaching a candidate that both he and Paul Faulkner are a little bit afraid of .... Paul Lambert!

The above is all "in my opinion" of course, and I'm "waiting" with no real hope or expectation that RL/PF know exactly what they are able to achieve at this moment in time.

Of the current squad right now for me personally, the only established premiership players are Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Ireland, Bent, Agbonlahor. I left out Petrov for obvious reasons. That is 8 players, people are talking about getting rid of four of them. Out of the rest of the squad I cant imagine Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Clark, Bannan, Weimann, Stevens, Lichaj, Herd, Baker, Marshall, Johnson, Burke, Williams, Gardner, Curruthers are on big wages? Leaving only Makoun & Holman. Is it just me or is that squad wafer thin. We need a manager who can get good money for the back four if they are to be sold and then can not only replace them but add a hell of a lot to the team. In my opinion we need about £40mil.

He is a good manager, he's worked on a shoe string budget, I read people saying well Bruce finished higher with Wigan, yes consisting of players such as Valencia, Palacios, those two platers combined bought in an income of 30Million, then sold Heskey, Cattermole, key players in that Wigan side. His remit is simple to stay in the league, he spends less than AM and stays up. Not only that but he changes the philosophy of a football club by actually trying to play football, yes he's took some beatings in his time but lets not forget he is younger than OGS who we were all were excited about but has more experience. If we got him, I'd be delighted because it's a long term appointment, someone with passion and drive. Its all well and good mentioning the games he lost, but lets look at last season, the run in that Wigan had, myself included thought their down. Liverpool 2-1 (A) United 1-0 (H) Arsenal 2-1 (A) Newcastle 4-0 (H), now those 4 wins guarenteed them safety and finished above us.

He is a good manager, he's worked on a shoe string budget, I read people saying well Bruce finished higher with Wigan, yes consisting of players such as Valencia, Palacios, those two platers combined bought in an income of 30Million, then sold Heskey, Cattermole, key players in that Wigan side. His remit is simple to stay in the league, he spends less than AM and stays up. Not only that but he changes the philosophy of a football club by actually trying to play football, yes he's took some beatings in his time but lets not forget he is younger than OGS who we were all were excited about but has more experience. If we got him, I'd be delighted because it's a long term appointment, someone with passion and drive. Its all well and good mentioning the games he lost, but lets look at last season, the run in that Wigan had, myself included thought their down. Liverpool 2-1 (A) United 1-0 (H) Arsenal 2-1 (A) Newcastle 4-0 (H), now those 4 wins guarenteed them safety and finished above us.

Good post!

Of the current squad right now for me personally, the only established premiership players are Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Ireland, Bent, Agbonlahor. I left out Petrov for obvious reasons. That is 8 players, people are talking about getting rid of four of them. Out of the rest of the squad I cant imagine Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Clark, Bannan, Weimann, Stevens, Lichaj, Herd, Baker, Marshall, Johnson, Burke, Williams, Gardner, Curruthers are on big wages? Leaving only Makoun & Holman. Is it just me or is that squad wafer thin. We need a manager who can get good money for the back four if they are to be sold and then can not only replace them but add a hell of a lot to the team. In my opinion we need about £40mil.

When you put it like this how does Villa need RL to bail them out 2 years in a row to a cost of 20 - 40 million each year? The squad is thread bare and we sold all the family Silverware which got money back in. Also we are 19th in the world club league table released last week. How are we loosing so much money ... cant be high wages as we only have 8 real first team players from above.

Liverpool want Martinez because they see the massive potential in a young manager who has got a very cheap squad playing great football and staying in the league at the same time. Obviously with a squad like that not every result is going to be great, and sometimes you'll take a thumping. I think people inside football can see that Martinez has the skills to do a much better job at a much bigger club.

When you put it like this how does Villa need RL to bail them out 2 years in a row to a cost of 20 - 40 million each year? The squad is thread bare and we sold all the family Silverware which got money back in. Also we are 19th in the world club league table released last week. How are we loosing so much money ... cant be high wages as we only have 8 real first team players from above.

gate receipts have plummeted.

I'm worried that all this waiting will mean our manager won't have enough time to get the players he wants into the squad to thicken it up, and get rid of the dead weight in the squad as well.

gate receipts have plummeted.

To that extent? Has to be more to it.

Gate receipt decreases are a drop in the ocean. We just spent far too much money on players and salaries. Remember that Villa's latest financial year ends in 3 days time, but it'll be 10 months before we get to know what the results are this year. I suspect a loss, but much smaller than previously.