General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

When we do eventually appoint a new manager it'll be someone from so far left field that he'll surprise us all. I just hope we're pleasantly surprised :)

Some one like Graeme Souness for example? Be way left field but nothing pleasant about it.

When we do eventually appoint a new manager it'll be someone from so far left field that he'll surprise us all. I just hope we're pleasantly surprised :)

Some one like Graeme Souness for example? Be way left field but nothing pleasant about it.

Hopefully not someone like Graeme Souness. That wouldn't be a pleasant surprise now, would it?

Hopefully not someone like Graeme Souness. That wouldn't be a pleasant surprise now, would it?

It would be very unpleasant as would Bruce, Mick or Megson.

Would be a nightmare, at least he would sort out the discipline problems.

Wonder if anything will happen tomorrow? Doesn't Randy normally fly in on Tuesdays?

I don't think that i depends on where Randy is. Last year didn't we find out first on the Sunday night that un-named one had resigned from small heath?

Hoddle is tactically brilliant but unfortunately he's a complete tool so no-one can work with him.

An amalgam of Hoddle (tactics) and Keegan (motivating squad) would have been perfect as England Manager

Rubin Dutt was apparently interviewed on Thurday or Friday. A Jurgen Klinsman recomendation by all accounts. We are not being linked to any big names. Says allot about the money being made available by RL.

Don't think it says anything about the money being made available. Think they are looking for something new and different to add to the table. At this moment in time we have no idea how much money will be avialable

Why are we being linked with managers who have been recently sacked?

OGS, Lambert, Martinez, Poyet, RDM, Grayson...all recently been sacked?

We are being linked with all and sundry doesn't mean we are approaching any of them.

Surprised no one has mentioned Hoddle

Yeah, funny that. You'd think the name would have come up by now.

And he could sign Rory Delap. I don't know if any of you have ever seen it, but he does an amazing throw-in.

What does anyone think of Martin Jol? Plays very good football with Fulham and would return the flair to Villa. I know he doesnt fit into the age bracket but with the other names been thrown about i think we could do somewhat worse.

The balance of speculation on twitter is that Martinez isn't going to liverpool

Ive warmed to him - because of links de matteo / Southgate etc. If he declined villa last summer, liverpool this.....where is he going to go ? - He won't get a top 4 club just by keeping wigan in the prem ?

could he be ending his managerial career aged 38 !!!

What does anyone think of Martin Jol? Plays very good football with Fulham and would return the flair to Villa. I know he doesnt fit into the age bracket but with the other names been thrown about i think we could do somewhat worse.

Should have moved for him last summer. Decent manager - can't see why he would move again though !

Liverpool keep their sights on Brendan Rodgers

Oliver Kay and Matt Dickinson

Published 1 minute ago

Liverpool’s search for a new manager is expected to continue until at least the end of this week as they look to hold more discussions with Roberto Martínez and intensify their interest in Brendan Rodgers.

Martínez, the Wigan Athletic manager, remains a leading candidate for the managerial vacancy at Anfield after a first interview on Thursday, but Fenway Sports Group (FSG), Liverpool’s parent company, is determined not to be rushed in its bid to find a successor to Kenny Dalglish.

Martínez, who is also wanted by Aston Villa, will have to pass a final interview and agree personal terms if he is to land the job, and faces serious competition from Rodgers, the Swansea City manager.

Rodgers distanced himself from the Liverpool vacancy ten days ago, when the club indicated that he was one of many potential candidates they had identified. His commitment to Swansea is genuine, as is his belief that his long-term development might be better served by staying at the Liberty Stadium for another season. But, having learnt that he is a genuine contender for the Liverpool vacancy, he is keen to discover, if the Welsh club will allow him, what might be on offer.

Rodgers is understood to be in New York to watch a friendly between Mexico and Wales that was played last night, but, whether in the United States or in Great Britain this week, FSG is eager to speak to him. He has been recommended by advisers, but, like Martínez, he would be eager to ascertain the precise role under discussion in what would be a new structure at Anfield.

Louis van Gaal, the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach, is a front-runner for one of the posts in the new structure, although the exact framework remains uncertain. A variety of options have been discussed and, while Van Gaal is a strong contender to be named as sporting director even before the identity of a new coach has been determined, there is much detail to finalise when John W. Henry, the club’s principal owner, travels to Britain this week. Pep Segura, who has overseen a revamp of Liverpool’s youth academy, is also expected to be given a prominent role.

With Martínez waiting to hear whether he will be offered the Liverpool job, Villa retain a firm interest in the Wigan manager as they look to intensify their search for a replacement for Alex McLeish, who was sacked two weeks ago. Martínez rejected Villa’s advances last summer, but the Midlands club are quietly confident that he could be persuaded to consider an offer once Liverpool’s intentions have become clear and that, in any case, they might be able to offer a greater degree of control than he would have at Anfield.

Members of the Villa hierarchy have also held discussions in recent days with Rafael Benítez, the former Liverpool manager. The conversations with Benítez have been considerably more encouraging than those when the Villa job arose last summer, but manager and club are open-minded about the idea as they continue to explore other options

(Times)

Should have moved for him last summer. Decent manager - can't see why he would move again though !

With the right money to spend and good youth setup he might. Depends on his ambitions i suppose. I would love to see him here. We would have a good home record again thats for sure.