Stan Petrov

LondonLax

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Also worth noting that he's been training with the U21's since April.

and what do they say?....is there any comment from them?

15 hours ago, TRO said:

If it doesn't work out?......what exactly do you mean? and how will that be appraised?

do you mean he will be assessed in training and he might not make a first team game.?

or do you mean throw him in and see if he swims?

I genuinely do not understand what you mean?

We have an objective to gain a premiership place.....there is no room for sentiment or dodgy decisions.....This season will be very difficult both physically and mentally and we need to hit the ground running.

I understand what you are saying regarding give Stan a chance, but I have a jaundiced view of it all, unless you explain and I have missed something.

It's not that difficult to understand surely?

He will be assessed in pre-season to see where his true fitness levels lie, using sport science etc this can be effectively carried out these days. Once you know where his fitness levels are then you assess whether or not he still has the ability, which he probably will as you don't really ever lose it once you've reached the level he reached.

It either works out well or it doesn't but in between, it won't cost us anything, it brings our last decent captain back into contact with an under performing and demotivated squad and is a good news / positive story for the media, again something that we haven't had for some time.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's not that difficult to understand surely?

He will be assessed in pre-season to see where his true fitness levels lie, using sport science etc this can be effectively carried out these days. Once you know where his fitness levels are then you assess whether or not he still has the ability, which he probably will as you don't really ever lose it once you've reached the level he reached.

It either works out well or it doesn't but in between, it won't cost us anything, it brings our last decent captain back into contact with an under performing and demotivated squad and is a good news / positive story for the media, again something that we haven't had for some time.

Well, we'll see.

He'll be 37, having been out of the game for four years. I think it will be an abosolute miracle if he plays next season. Good luck to him though, would be a massive  achivement that transcends the sport itself.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Your view is in the minority because I'm afraid it doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

If Stan's not up for it then he won't be signed.

Gabby wasn't up to it .....but got a 4 year contract;)

To be absolutely brutal to get the point over......( and take the principle not the person)

why spend time repairing something that is in doubt that it can be fixed......When you can buy a new one and be reasonably sure.

If we was a mid-table team with time on our hands and a few risky decisions can be accomodated, I would agree.

This season will be brutal.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You voted Brexit didn't you, admit it ;)

Nothing to do with this debate.

Yes and proud of it.;)

ps ....along with the majority of voters in England

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Gabby wasn't up to it .....but got a 4 year contract;)

To be absolutely brutal to get the point over......( and take the principle not the person)

why spend time repairing something that is in doubt that it can be fixed......When you can buy a new one and be reasonably sure.

If we was a mid-table team with time on our hands and a few risky decisions can be accomodated, I would agree.

This season will be brutal.

"spend time"

What time?

TRO, if you can point out one thing we've got to lose from this situation, then you may have a shred of a point.

Try me.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"spend time"

What time?

TRO, if you can point out one thing we've got to lose from this situation, then you may have a shred of a point.

Try me.

Steve If you can't see my point I cannot make you.....If I can't get it over to you I apologise for my part in it.

Someone will have evaluate Stan and his fitness levels that takes time and effort and focus that could be spent elsewhere on other players, no coach  will be sure however he displays his skills on the training pitch as to whether he can transform that to a  first team game.....They will have to play him to find out for sure.

That could take several games before a clear view is made......We could have dropped points in that time of appraisal.

There is nothing in this game of ours thats certain.....trial and error plays its part.....That could cost us, when a decision to sign a new player who the manager is more sure about standing up to the rigours of the campaign.....why take that risk.

You and most posters think its worth the risk.....I would spend my focus on seeking out a new player.....that time spent delaying a component of the rebuild.

Sorry for disagreeing with you.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, Godders said:

Well he's training with the 1st team, so I can't imagine they've had anything bad to say.

Fair play, but does that mean they have or they haven't.

Look, I will be delighted if he proves my doubts unfounded.

We've taken a bloke to our training camp who we all know was a leader, captain and inspiring guy before his illness...imagine what he's going to be now, he's going to be working his bollocks off to prove that he's still got it, training 100% every day, eating properly, living his life properly, utter determination to get to where he wants to be

RDM taking him to pre season is a master stroke IMO I hope all these lazy words removed that dragged us down last year watch him and feel ashamed, I hope all the yoof we take there look at him and see what it's all about

ultimately I think he'll fall short but in no way will I see that as a failure by him or by the club, just hope that we thank him in the correct way, doors always open for coach petrov, if he wants to drop down the leagues play a bit more and then return then so be it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

He'll be 37, having been out of the game for four years. I think it will be an abosolute miracle if he plays next season. Good luck to him though, would be a massive  achivement that transcends the sport itself.

This is where i am. There is nothing not to like about Stan returning to training. If he manages to return to the match day squad fantastic, if not, his attitude, work ethic, a shear desire to battle back against the odds will provide inspiration to everyone at the club, there are literally no negatives. 

Like you though, I'd be truly amazed to see him back in team. 

Do not envy the guy he has to tell Petrov that he just doesn't cut it despite all the hard work and all that he's been through.

Think he's an inspiration and I hope we will find a role for him around the first team.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The idea that assessing Stan's fitness will come at the cost of signing another one is genuinely baffling.

And with that I'm done.

That is clearly not the overall objective....that you pedal......The assessing of the fitness is merely a conduit to playing him in the first team.....and thats the risk that I allude to .....not the fitness assessment.

we disagree, fine.

but don't make out you don't understand my point .....when you simply don't agree with me, which is fine......you look at the here and now and I'm looking towards the future.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Do not envy the guy he has to tell Petrov that he just doesn't cut it despite all the hard work and all that he's been through.

Think he's an inspiration and I hope we will find a role for him around the first team.

spot on

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

This is where i am. There is nothing not to like about Stan returning to training. If he manages to return to the match day squad fantastic, if not, his attitude, work ethic, a shear desire to battle back against the odds will provide inspiration to everyone at the club, there are literally no negatives. 

Like you though, I'd be truly amazed to see him back in team. 

Equally, I am not opposed to him being around the place.....He is an inspiration.

but he has been at BMH in the past before he declared that he was not up to it.....I'm unsure what affect that had on the other players.

These lot we have seem to be unaffected by any kind of inspiration that comes in i.e Keane, Wilkins, there was simply no response.

Â