Game postponed

fightoffyour

The thoughts and prayers of Aston Villa Football Club are with Fabrice Muamba and his family.

Our thoughts also extend to his teammates, the management staff and all at Bolton Wanderers Football Club at this terrible time.

The Club, without hesitation, has agreed to Bolton's request to postpone our Barclays Premier League game scheduled for Tuesday at Villa Park.

We also wish to thank our supporters for their expressions of sympathy and support for the Muamba family and all at Bolton Wanderers.

Villa manager Alex McLeish said: "Like everybody, I am shocked and saddened by what happened to Fabrice during Bolton's FA Cup game at White Hart Lane and subsequent developments.

"I have worked with Fabrice as a player at Birmingham and he has always been a terrific lad, nothing other than the perfect professional.

"I can say that in my experience he trained every day the way he went to play in games, full of intensity and enthusiasm.

"He is a manager's dream in terms of his commitment to the team and to his club and I know that Owen Coyle will feel the same way about him.

"My heart goes out to his family and it is overwhelming to think what they are going through right now.

"The massive response throughout Europe and the world of football underlines how everybody has been touched by this tragic development and I pray that Fabrice is able to pull through."

Villa CEO Paul Faulkner said: "I have spoken to Phil Gartside, the Bolton chairman, to convey our support.

"Our thoughts and best wishes are with Fabrice Muamba and his family and also with Bolton Wanderers Football Club at this extremely difficult and traumatic time."

Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov said: "On behalf of the players of Aston Villa, I would like to offer up our support to our fellow player, Fabrice Muamba, and we pray together that he is able to pull through.

"We are thinking very deeply about his family and what they are going through and our thoughts are with them also.

"Fabrice has always been a dedicated professional, a credit to the clubs he has played for and a consummate professional. It is terrible to think that something like this could happen.

"To everyone at Bolton - players, staff, supporters - we stand with you in what you are going through and most of all we hope that Fabrice can come through this ordeal and that the prayers of everybody are answered."

Completely the right decision; the minds of too many Bolton players would be elsewhere and just wouldn't be fair. Be interesting to see when this is rescheduled for, as it's one of only a few more winnable games we have this season.

Next FA Cup weekend is the semi finals and we are playing Manure anyway. Coincidentally, Bolton were due to play Spurs in the league that weekend.

I imagine their FA cup game from yesterday will be played midweek after this so around the 27th/28th (when the Everton/Sunderland replay is).

Our game with Bolton could then take place the following midweek but I would think that is unlikely as it precedes Easter weekend when both teams already have two games in 48 hours. I would imagine that this game will e rescheduled for later on in April on another midweek night.

• 2 weeks later...
Â