Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much on top of that will he get in appearance fees, goal or assist bonus, win bonus, personal sponsorship such as boots etc?

cant see it being true thanks to it being in the NOTW but when a player who isnt even the star of the team is that kind of money surely its the beginning of the end, even city fans cant be happy with that? at what stage as a fan do you say i dont care how good you are you're here for the money not for the shirt?

United fans are getting really worried about Citeh now.

They mocked them last year but I have a lot moan on Facebook about it. One comment said

"If Ozil or Sneijder sign for City i dont know what ill do, maybe write to FIFA or something"

If this was Villa I'd actually be sad. I like to think our players are actually proud to wear our shirt and play with commitment to the club, not to keep the bank balance increasing by a million a month.

Yaya Toure was a perfect opportunity for Man City to actually gain a bit of respect from those that hate them. He's likeable, he's a quality player that was left out at Barcelona because of their favouritism with spanish players (not strictly true as Busquets is awesome, but Yaya really wasn't given a huge chance, with Busquets immediately becoming the darling of the fans), and also coming to play in the same team as his big brother - who he wanted to join up with at Arsenal but for some unfathomable reason Wenger didn't take the chance.

Instead, he's just become another Man City overpaid prick.

If this was Villa I'd actually be sad. I like to think our players are actually proud to wear our shirt and play with commitment to the club, not to keep the bank balance increasing by a million a month.

Yaya Toure was a perfect opportunity for Man City to actually gain a bit of respect from those that hate them. He's likeable, he's a quality player that was left out at Barcelona because of their favouritism with spanish players (not strictly true as Busquets is awesome, but Yaya really wasn't given a huge chance, with Busquets immediately becoming the darling of the fans), and also coming to play in the same team as his big brother - who he wanted to join up with at Arsenal but for some unfathomable reason Wenger didn't take the chance.

Instead, he's just become another Man City overpaid prick.

tbf to Toure,he's know different to our players,in the sense that they are all just in it for the money.

I guess that's true, but how many of Man City's signings have gone to Man City because they actually wanted to.

Milner wanted to come here because he enjoyed his loan spell here, he wanted to work with MON and build a young English team to force his way into the England team. The amount of money he's paid is a sweetener, not a sole reason.

It becomes impossible to differentiate between players who wanted to go there and players who went for the money. Even the ones who wanted to go there will have been paid well. So it's an impossible claim to refute for anyone trying to say a player wanted to go there. Adam Johnson I'd say wanted to go there because he was moving up a division to a bigger club. Whereas Adebaydonkey moved down the league to get paid a fortune. Is Johnson on a good wage? No doubt. But it doesn't mean he went for the money.

TBF, the only reason I get my arse out of bed in the morning for Chiltern Railways is because they pay me to. Cant see why it's different if you are a footballer.

OK Nays, hypothetically: to better your career and a chance to become regarded as one of the best train drivers in the country you can stay with Chiltern Railways, where you are loved by all the passengers cause the service you provide is awesome.

Virgin Trains come in and offer you twice as much money. You can go there for 4 years, trundle around with their trains without particualrly standing out, then when your 4 years are up everyone has forgotten about you.

What'd you do?

For double the wage i think everyone would move.

If BMW offered me twice my wage to do the same job as I do for JLR I'd be there in a heartbeat. Despite the fact i hate BMWs.

Yeah, and when you are a professional footballer, its a job. You cant blame players for thinking about it like its a job.

I agree Rev. Though I think it's different in the sense that - for the ridiculous amounts they earn, do you still chase every last pound you can get, like we would in our normal jobs? It's not facetious to ask is someone who earns £6m a year happier than someone who earns £5.5m? It's not like the difference between paying a mortgage for us - jumping from £50k to £100k. That can be life changing. But for them? Granted, the more you earn, the higher your running costs but at some point it becomes a little superfluous no?

I agree Rev. Though I think it's different in the sense that - for the ridiculous amounts they earn, do you still chase every last pound you can get, like we would in our normal jobs? It's not facetious to ask is someone who earns £6m a year happier than someone who earns £5.5m? It's not like the difference between paying a mortgage for us - jumping from £50k to £100k. That can be life changing. But for them? Granted, the more you earn, the higher your running costs but at some point it becomes a little superfluous no?

I dont think so. At no point in my life would i refuse an extra quid. It depends how money orientated you are I suppose.

It depends on the individual though. Lets break the Toure situation down for a moment.

He has won every medal he will ever need. He has won the league in three different countries, he has a Champions League winners medal. Even if City dont win a trophy in his time at the club he will still be able to look at his career and say he has achieved things beyond his wildest dreams. Of course, Manchester City are an extremely ambitious club and they will be selling the dreams they have to any player they talk to. Getting in on the ground floor has to be an attractive opportunity.

He is also 27 years of age. Its not old for a footballer, but the next contract he signs is going to be the last "big" one, isnt it? A five year deal at a reported £10m a year is something you just dont turn down. It has to be good for the ego knowing you will be the best paid player in the Premier League (at the time of the contract being signed at least)

His brother is at Man City. How do we know it's not a personal ambition of Yaya to play alongside Kolo at a top club? What if they both believe they can win the league at City? How would that be for a thing to do in your career?

Â