Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Disagree for a number of reasons.

Firstly, Jose is a very good manager as is Pep. The issue a lot of fans have with Pep is that he is hailed as some sort of genius, as the best their is or possibly ever has been, we were told he would cause a revolution in English football. Put simply the praise was OTT and a lot of people have thought that for a while given the elevated level at which he has managed.

Now he isn't failing but I think even his biggest fan would have to agree he has struggled a little and certainly isn't changing English football. He might in time, we shall see, I have my doubts and think this is just OTT hyperbole.

As for the comparison to Jose and the idea he gets a free pass. I don't agree because for a start I don't think there is the same hyperbole with Jose. He is seen as and indeed is a very good manager who unlike Pep has proven himself in much more difficult circumstances even though like Pep he's lived at an elevated level.

Jose however took plenty of stick early in the season yet has just come to the end of a 17 game unbeaten run.

In terms of what they inherited, there really is no comparison at all Pep inherited a far better side than Jose, I don't really know how anyone could claim otherwise.

You're right but United buy Pogba and Zlatan and City buy Nolitto. They also have one of the two best keepers in the world plus players like Lingard, Martial and Rashford along with Rooney up front. Do City really have a better players?  I wonder the diff in points De Gea has given United in comparison to Bravo. Of course that Peps fault for loaning out Hart but I still think De Gea must be worth at least 10 pts a season.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

You're right but United buy Pogba and Zlatan and City buy Nolitto. They also have one of the two best keepers in the world plus players like Lingard, Martial and Rashford along with Rooney up front. Do City really have a better players?  I wonder the diff in points De Gea has given United in comparison to Bravo. Of course that Peps fault for loaning out Hart but I still think De Gea must be worth at least 10 pts a season.

Guardiola spent £178m in the summer, he could easily have competed for Pogba financially at least.

Do City really have the better players? As a squad yes absolutely and with the above money spent they should have increased that advantage but what you are inadvertently saying above is that Jose did better in the transfer market this summer, which I agree with.

He picked Nolitto, he signed a keeper who isn't a keeper for £17m. He is at fault.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Guardiola spent £178m in the summer, he could easily have competed for Pogba financially at least.

Do City really have the better players? As a squad yes absolutely and with the above money spent they should have increased that advantage but what you are inadvertently saying above is that Jose did better in the transfer market this summer, which I agree with.

He picked Nolitto, he signed a keeper who isn't a keeper for £17m. He is at fault.

Yes but some of those signings were bought with the future in mind, so you might not see the best of them this season.

catching up...but even before kompany injuries he hasnt been known to be a world class defender...he was good for one season and after that was never top 5/10 defender.

Kos easily ahead of him in the prem.

Edited by gharperr

On 1/26/2017 at 01:04, kurtsimonw said:

Chelsea have an ageing squad and Conte has had no such issues. City definitely had the most capable squad at the end of 15/16 season.

disgaree tbh. chelsea had amazing squad but couple changes in defence. city had so many aging players / sub par players it isnt the same. Start of transfer window chelsea had best squad imo.

people talk about city spend aswell...a lot of the players isnt for exactly now...but youngsters to develop and learn the way he wants to play over a season or two

Edited by gharperr

On 1/26/2017 at 00:19, kurtsimonw said:

Not sure what he saw in Nolito. Rich man's Scott Sinclair.

weird thing is....he actually played pretty decent at start of season before pep tried to be "genius" to change it all around...i think most city fans rather him in squad with silva KDB in middle with a proper DCM.

suddenly silva (KDB) just started going left and toure went in CM...and was so many exploits happened...just weird. and he wont change it

Edited by gharperr
changed it when gunderon was fit (i dno how you spell his name) but he didnt revert back

Still and all.  Whatever about West Ham.  A 19 year old Brazilian kid came from a far away league and ran the show in a different climate and culture straight off the bat.  That's very impressive from him.  At 19 I was able to vomit Pernod through my nose.

18 hours ago, tarjei said:

Front 3 has been great tonight.  I don't understand why Sané starts so few matches. Very good player.

Hasn't always played well.  Sterling too was very good and I just wonder where it leaves Aguero!

Â